The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mismanagement for a while now

NucksinNorway

Name a team. Any team.

I'll list the players that walked from that team in the last 10 years due to free agency.

So why is it we have to be like other teams? If we were a little more forward thinking we could be in a better position today. The sharks have been doing well at this as of late. It sucks when we lose key players, such as Linden, and Mogilny, but these trades were made to get missing pieces. The Linden trade hurt me the most but I recognize that it was a stellar trade for us

So why is it we have to be like other teams? If we were a little more forward thinking we could be in a better position today. The sharks have been doing well at this as of late. It sucks when we lose key players, such as Linden, and Mogilny, but these trades were made to get missing pieces. The Linden trade hurt me the most but I recognize that it was a stellar trade for us

Because every team has certain circumstances surrounding specific players that impact the teams ability to do that, ie. contracts, injuries, age, market value, playoff races, etc.

All complicating the big picture, for any team, are what you add either from outside or within.

I understand your basic premise but to me your post sounds like a frustrated fan looking for a single answer as to why we aren't where you want us to be. It *could* be considered a factor but it's a very complex system. My point is that we aren't substantially worse than any other franchise.

I believe the Canucks, and every other franchise tbh, are intimately aware of these considerations. They aren't blind to it. But what you are using right now, IMHO, is hindsight confirmation bias.

I think fans are being a bit too hard on management. MG is a bit too "safe" for my liking, but I think the position we are in now is just (almost) inevitable consequence of doing relatively well over the last decade or so. Our core is just terrible right now.

Not saying the management is perfect, but let's wait until they deal with this mess before judging them.

Flyers. What's the worst loss? Matt Carle? :P

13-14

Danny Briere

Ilya Bryzgalov

Ruslan Fedotenko

12-13

Jaromir Jagr

Matt Carle

Pavel Kubina

Andreas Lilja

11-12

Sean O'Donnell

Nikolai Zherdev

Brian Boucher

Danny Carcillo

10-11

Arron Asham

Lukas Krajicek

Ray Emery

09-10

Mike Knuble

Nate Guenin

Antero Niittymaki

Andrew Alberts

Martin Biron

08-09

Rory Fitzpatrick

07-08

Todd Fedoruk

Mike York

06-07

Kim Johnsson

Keith Primeau

Branko Radivojevic

Donald Brashear

05-06

Tony Amonte

Vladimir Malakhov

Alexei Zhamnov

Sean Burke

John Leclair

Because every team has certain circumstances surrounding specific players that impact the teams ability to do that, ie. contracts, injuries, age, market value, playoff races, etc.

All complicating the big picture, for any team, are what you add either from outside or within.

I understand your basic premise but to me your post sounds like a frustrated fan looking for a single answer as to why we aren't where you want us to be. It *could* be considered a factor but it's a very complex system. My point is that we aren't substantially worse than any other franchise.

I believe the Canucks, and every other franchise tbh, are intimately aware of these considerations. They aren't blind to it. But what you are using right now, IMHO, is hindsight confirmation bias.

I can understand it sounding like a frustrated fan but to be honest, being over in Norway actually takes away some of the frustration. I'm so far removed from all the media that I mostly just watch the games, and lose sleep for that night when they lose.

As I said, it's something I've thought about long ago. Discussed with people and yet it still happens.

This is a little off topic but still a little relevant, when the whole luongo/Schneider thing started I discussed with my dad about possibly trading Schneider because the return value could be greater. I'm not suggesting I'm smarter than our management team, I'm sure they thought of this, but I think sometimes they need to actually realize they may have been wrong and swallow their pride

13-14

Scott Gomez

Thomas Greiss

12-13

Torrey Mitchell

Daniel Winnik

Benn Ferriero

11-12

Ian White

Kent Huskins

Niclas Wallin

Ben Eager

Jamal Mayers

Scott Nichol

Kyle Wellwood

10-11

Manny Malhotra

Evgeny Nabokov

09-10

Mike Grier

Travis Moen

Jeremy Roenick

Marcel Goc

Brian Boucher

08-09

Curtis Brown

Brian Campbell

Sandis Ozolinsh

07-08

Scott Hannan

Bill Guerin

06-07

Scott Thornton

Alyn MaCauley

05-06

Mike Rathje

Jason Marshall

The Canucks, and other teams suffer from the belief in the old adage "That you only have to get into the playoffs, and you can make some noise"

That is the reason we are ALWAYS buyers

That is the reason players like Raymond do not get traded at the deadline and players like Roy, Pahlson, Smolinsk, Sopel, Vaananen, Brown, Rusinski, Sanderson, Weinrich, et al get traded for .

and they cost us 2nd and 3rd round picks, which is why the cupboard is bare.

It worked once with Lapierre and Higgins, so management thinks there is a science to it.

A science just like winning the lottery.

1 Cup winner, 1 lottery winner, the odds are about the same

In 2011 the Canucks lead the league in goals for/against, PP and PK, it made sense that year but a year like this or any of the Nonis years it does not.

I can understand it sounding like a frustrated fan but to be honest, being over in Norway actually takes away some of the frustration. I'm so far removed from all the media that I mostly just watch the games, and lose sleep for that night when they lose.

As I said, it's something I've thought about long ago. Discussed with people and yet it still happens.

This is a little off topic but still a little relevant, when the whole luongo/Schneider thing started I discussed with my dad about possibly trading Schneider because the return value could be greater. I'm not suggesting I'm smarter than our management team, I'm sure they thought of this, but I think sometimes they need to actually realize they may have been wrong and swallow their pride

There were many of us who questioned the timing. I, myself, thought a deal to TB could have been done 2 1/2 years ago that could have been ideal.

What we aren't involved in are boardroom discussions. There are probably factors we have never considered.

Ultimately, we don't have all of the information.

13-14

Viktor Stalberg

Ray Emery

Carter Hutton

Rostislav Olesz

12-13

Sami Lepisto

11-12

Chris Campoli

Jake Dowell

Jassen Cullimore

10-11

Adam Burish

Antti Niemi

John Madden

Joey Crabb

09-10

Nikolai Khabibulin

Sammy Pahlsson

Martin Havlat

Tim Brent

08-09

Patrick Lalime

Jason Williams

07-08

Michal Handzus

06-07

Curtis Brown

Mark Cullen

Matthew Barnaby

Shawn Thornton

05-06

Stephane Robidas

Scott Nichol

Bryan Berard

Steve Passmore

04-05

Lockout

03-04

Chris Simon

Todd Gill

Andrei Nikolishin

Mike Eastwood

More?

Shall I do the Canucks for comparison?

Most, if not all, didn't make much of an impact after leaving Chicago. Most were nearing the end of their careers. I think Chicago was really the best example that showed how well they were with dealing with impending UFAs.

Gillis later traded for Sammy Pahlsson (not from Chicago; it was Columbus) - and we know how much of an impact that he made. He was very washed up at that point, though the price he paid for him wasn't expensive - two 4th rounders.

13-14

Danny Briere

Ilya Bryzgalov

Ruslan Fedotenko

12-13

Jaromir Jagr

Matt Carle

Pavel Kubina

Andreas Lilja

11-12

Sean O'Donnell

Nikolai Zherdev

Brian Boucher

Danny Carcillo

10-11

Arron Asham

Lukas Krajicek

Ray Emery

09-10

Mike Knuble

Nate Guenin

Antero Niittymaki

Andrew Alberts

Martin Biron

08-09

Rory Fitzpatrick

07-08

Todd Fedoruk

Mike York

06-07

Kim Johnsson

Keith Primeau

Branko Radivojevic

Donald Brashear

05-06

Tony Amonte

Vladimir Malakhov

Alexei Zhamnov

Sean Burke

John Leclair

Again, although there are some famous names on here, most were nearing the end of their careers and/or weren't very good. Jagr is an exception - and Gillis, if we believe the hearsay, got fooled into thinking about "youth". Jagr really could've been amazing for the Sedins, expecially since Jagr had expressed interest in playing for a Canadian team at some point.

Flyers and Blackhawks are really good examples that prove that these teams are pretty careful about who they let go.

Canucks on the other hand aren't as careful.

Archived