[Rumour] Team1040 Doug Maclean

davinci

That would be solid value for Luongo.

Luongo go the NYI for Pulock, 1st

Luongo to Washington for Kuznetsov/Wilson, 1st

Luongo to Florida for Trochek/Petrovic/Shore/Howden, 1st

Somethimg along the lines of that?

Something EXACTLY along those lines.

See the issue is people still believe it is the last 2 seasons, where NOBODY was taking on goaltenders yet everyone was handing goaltenders with moderate stats $6+ million a year contracts.

People assume that the market will still only pay that. Then they compare Bernier and Scrivens and Bishop to equal value as Luongo.

Careers are made not traded by the players themselves. Luongo has done more in 1 season than any of the goalies traded over the last 3 seasons

Now we get into economics. Take Luongo`s contract into consideration and understand that teams will take on that contract happily regardless if he plays or not because it leaves an oen roster spot and helps teams reach the cap floor. See Tim Thomas New York Isles.

Any of the trades you mentioned are great for both the team getting LUongo and for the canucks.

yet again people will say Schneider only got a 1st round pick. Ya, during a shortened season, with a cap decreasing no idea what the future market would bare AND the fact that for all of Schneiders ability he`d never won a single playoff game.

Any of those trades would be acceptable and more than within the bounds of reason....yet people for some reason refuse to accept that.

Yet will assume Edler will net Mantha AND Nyquist in a trade with Detroit

Its a factor. Is Dupuis gone for the year and play off's?

In any case, Bennett is a risk reward type acquisition. He has enough talent he's been trialed with Crosby, and is reputed to be a capable enough puck handler and shot to anchor a power play. Even though he's a forward! But he's also not really worked out in his trials, and its not just because he's seriously injured his wrist a couple of times. That add's to the risk in acquiring him, but the bottom line is he's probably not QUITE ready for prime time. So if the Pen's are of a mindset to go for it, he could be made available?

And we could go all in and offer Hansen to close deal. Or Burrows and they add another D prospect Depres (suggeste by MissionCanucksFan).

Pears mentioned Kuznetsov???

Considering players available in this years drafts like Barbashev, Goldobin etc who are Russian...it would be intriguing to bring two or three on at once to avoid the culture shock and shirk the `canucks hate russians`mentality which seems so prevalent amongst fans. But I do not see Kuznetsov as being the piece coming back with Ovechkin there. Wilson yes Kuznetsov no.

Petrovic, Pulock, Shore, Howden, DeHaan, Reinhardt any of those and a 1st in this or next years draft is a great win for both teams.

Florida or the Isles pretty much guarantee themselves a playoff berth on a season to season basis and the Canucks get a solid prospect and a pick. Exactly what both teams would need and exactly what the Canucks need moving forward. To give Lou a chance at full time duties on an up and coming team and to be that much closer to "home and family"

See the issue is people still believe it is the last 2 seasons, where NOBODY was taking on goaltenders yet everyone was handing goaltenders with moderate stats $6+ million a year contracts.

People assume that the market will still only pay that. Then they compare Bernier and Scrivens and Bishop to equal value as Luongo.

Careers are made not traded by the players themselves. Luongo has done more in 1 season than any of the goalies traded over the last 3 seasons

Now we get into economics. Take Luongo`s contract into consideration and understand that teams will take on that contract happily regardless if he plays or not because it leaves an oen roster spot and helps teams reach the cap floor. See Tim Thomas New York Isles.

Any of the trades you mentioned are great for both the team getting LUongo and for the canucks.

yet again people will say Schneider only got a 1st round pick. Ya, during a shortened season, with a cap decreasing no idea what the future market would bare AND the fact that for all of Schneiders ability he`d never won a single playoff game.

Any of those trades would be acceptable and more than within the bounds of reason....yet people for some reason refuse to accept that.

to start Schneider has 1 playoff victory in 10 games(vs LA)

2nd I have never once said Edler would get us Mantha and Nyquist(im always the one asking you why they trade him)

and the problem with your theory is now with the new cap rule if Lu did not report cap recapture is on us so how does that help them stay at the floor?

Edit: You also miss the point of why should I pay for Lu when I can send a 3rd and a 5th for a guy like Reimer that I can have for years?

to start Schneider has 1 playoff victory in 10 games(vs LA)

2nd I have never once said Edler would get us Mantha and Nyquist(im always the one asking you why they trade him)

and the problem with your theory is now with the new cap rule if Lu did not report cap recapture is on us so how does that help them stay at the floor?

First off I am not singling you out in regards to Detroit trades. But a great many people in here tear down Luongo and then for some reason think we can get the moon and stars for Edler which is a laugh. (and they trade Mantha because he is not a roster spot and not producing in the league right now. better to trade unknown product for solid return as opposed to quality player for comparable player in a sideways trade)

You're right I forgot about that one whole win so my mistake.

And I am not referring to Luongo not reporting. he'd report because that's the kinda guy he is. I am referring to the constant complaints of him just retiring at age 39 and costing teams money with his cap hit. Nobody knows what he will do. He's a stud, he could Hasek and Roloson his way into playing into his 40's easily. Hard to say Hasek and Brodeur and Roloson and even Tim Thomas didn't or aren't still playing solidly at their respective ages.

But with the estimate of the cap being around $90 million when Luongo turns 39 it is hard to say that a team like the Isles or the Panthers wouldn't be happy to share a $5.33 million cap recapture penalty with the canucks. If he retired it would almost be a boon to both teams who have traditionally spent just to the floor to get by.

Luongo isn't getting any of those. He's a 35 year old goaltender in a flooded market..

There aren't tons of teams looking for goalies, and teams like Florida especially won't touch Luongo, since they won't be competitive until Luongo is in his late 30's.

Luongo for a cap dump + mid-range prospect + a mid-range 1st round pick could happen, but I'm not sure teams would even pay that price. Miller, Hiller, etc are all free agents this year and teams will take a flyer on them over giving up a good pick and a top prospect any day of the week. If Luongo was around 30 years old, the story might be different.

Luongo is stuck on the Canucks, unless if the Canucks are willing to sell him for below market value. If he could've been traded, he would've been gone by now, regardless of semantics.

Sorry, Tanev is not!

No does he have UFA leverage to get what Bieksa or Garrison did.

Tanev is a fabulous, fundamentally sound, complimentary player. No shrewd puck handling skills, heavy shot or dangle and can only play if he has a big complimentary partner. Because he is not moving bodies in front of the net, or pushing guys off the puck in the corner.

You have to ask yourself why he would be worth what Voynov gets paid? That was a good contract for an RFA, both for team and player. Voynov is steady like Tanev and offers a world more offense and skills. Paying much more than $3 mill would be a mistake!

Tanev has been the most consistent blue liner we have this season, and he is moved around to help stabilize the other defensemen. He is an excellent skater, has a great first pass, and rarely makes a mistake with the puck. He might not put up huge points, but at this point he's been pretty good their to (9% shot) He is the kind of player that the Edlers, Bieksas, and Garrisons of the world need as their partner, or they would get burned on the regular.

Tanev leads the Canucks in blocked shots, and giveaways both by landslides.

As for Voynov, the only thing I see that he does consistently better is hit.

Voynov 3g pts 22 +/- (0) hts 112 bks 46 gva 45 tka 10

Tanev 5g pts 14 +/- (8) hts 23 bks 112 gva 16 tka 16

And while Voynov may play similar minutes he plays both less time at even strength and a almost 1 minutes less per game on the PK, all while playing 2nd pairing.

Tanev > Voynov ..and is easily worth just as much.

Tanev should be resigned, not traded its that simple.

he is under 25 and showing he can be a top 4 solid reliable defenceman.

I dont get why Gillis will pay huge $ and ntc for a player with one good year like Garrison, but seems to play hardball with Tanev.

Sign him before he just decides to opt for a short deal till he can become a ufa them leave

Considering players available in this years drafts like Barbashev, Goldobin etc who are Russian...it would be intriguing to bring two or three on at once to avoid the culture shock and shirk the `canucks hate russians`mentality which seems so prevalent amongst fans. But I do not see Kuznetsov as being the piece coming back with Ovechkin there. Wilson yes Kuznetsov no.

Petrovic, Pulock, Shore, Howden, DeHaan, Reinhardt any of those and a 1st in this or next years draft is a great win for both teams.

Florida or the Isles pretty much guarantee themselves a playoff berth on a season to season basis and the Canucks get a solid prospect and a pick. Exactly what both teams would need and exactly what the Canucks need moving forward. To give Lou a chance at full time duties on an up and coming team and to be that much closer to "home and family"

I might make a trade with Florida as I REALLY like their first round pick. Petrovic, unless he is absolutely nasty, brings little we dont already have. Same with Shore and Howden. I suppose the height of their pick makes up for it.

Tell me about DeHaan?

I'm not afraid of Russians personally. Last I checked Malkin and Datsyuk were in the top ten players in the world. For every Radulov there is a Canadian Zach Hamill or Cam Barker. Granted their acquisition price was non existent. But Kuznetsov is one of the best and most exciting prospects in the world. At age 20 he had already led his KHL team in scoring three times. We'd be lucky to get him straight up for Lou, I'd be throwing more on the table.

MG was Bures agent too. but has he ever drafted a russian? I wish we would take the chance, maybe not always with our 1st pick, but some more europeans like fins,czechs, russians, slovaks would be nice to see. They seem to have some good players coming from those countries. May not be top tier, but good players who will play for quite a while in the nhl

Tanev has been the most consistent blue liner we have this season, and he is moved around to help stabilize the other defensemen. He is an excellent skater, has a great first pass, and rarely makes a mistake with the puck. He might not put up huge points, but at this point he's been pretty good their to (9% shot) He is the kind of player that the Edlers, Bieksas, and Garrisons of the world need as their partner, or they would get burned on the regular.

Tanev leads the Canucks in blocked shots, and giveaways both by landslides.

As for Voynov, the only thing I see that he does consistently better is hit.

Voynov 3g pts 22 +/- (0) hts 112 bks 46 gva 45 tka 10

Tanev 5g pts 14 +/- (8) hts 23 bks 112 gva 16 tka 16

And while Voynov may play similar minutes he plays both less time at even strength and a almost 1 minutes less per game on the PK, all while playing 2nd pairing.

Tanev > Voynov ..and is easily worth just as much.

Your kidding right? Voynov is a Russian Olympian, Tanev twenty or thirty spots removed.

Look, I'm not in the trade Tanev camp. To me we're not in a position to give up good young players. Tanev is our most proven in that camp.

But we hold a hammer in RFA talks. Tanev does not have Voynov's skill with the puck. Not even close. Nor the clutch play he has provided in play off's. We cannot and should not over reward steady play in comparison to a guy who is capable of running a power play, or breaking pressure rushing the puck. Guys still get paid more when they have skills.

If Tanev seriously wanted a big payday, he would sign his qualifying offer. Other than that, find real comparables. You will find that there are loads of mid class defenders between $1.5 and $3.5 mill. I stick to $3 mill if he signs long term.

I state again. Luongo is worth as 1st and a prospect. Anyone who thinks otherwise without considering the current economic landscape of the league and the rising cap are out to lunch.

Even more so if they use the Schneider trade as a benchmark without considering the barrel Gillis was literally over at the time

I'd agree if Lu were sitting on a US franchise(everything else the same). Dirty secret is the league doesn't want Van bouncing back to that degree. Cdn markets are mostly the league's doormats.

I HOPE your value-estimation is bang-on; yet I fear it's much lower. Colour me surprised, if Roberto fetched a return comparable to what Schneids drew.

Tanev should be resigned, not traded its that simple.

he is under 25 and showing he can be a top 4 solid reliable defenceman.

I dont get why Gillis will pay huge $ and ntc for a player with one good year like Garrison, but seems to play hardball with Tanev.

Sign him before he just decides to opt for a short deal till he can become a ufa them leave

I know right.

Garrison has 1 good season: "Lock him up baby! 6 years NMC and NTC!"

Tanev has multiple good seasons: "No more than 2mil for you Tan!"

Makes no sense

Honestly at this point, Tanev should be the only untouchable.

I have never seen such a mediocre player held with such high value. If he was so great he would have been invited to the Olympic camp. He is good, but the praise around here insane. NO ONE ON THIS TEAM IS UNTOUCHABLE! Save for the twins and their no movement contracts unless they want out.

Everyone else is a phone call away!

I know right.

Garrison has 1 good season: "Lock him up baby! 6 years NMC and NTC!"

Tanev has multiple good seasons: "No more than 2mil for you Tan!"

Makes no sense

Difference is leverage. We're not supposed to pay a guy with just over 20 career points (over 4 years) $4 mill when we can retain his rights without over paying.

Nor does Tanev have a big shot, is he 220 lbs, or has he played two plus years as a top defensive match up pairing.

And even that said, I dont think we should have given Garrison 6 years, big money and an NTC. I'm certainly not offering it to Tanev when it should not have been given Garrison!

Get out.

If you can sign Bolland long term at a 3-4 mil cap hit and Get a young player like Kadri for Kesler you have to seriously consider it. Bolland is good for 30-40 points and Kadri produces around 50-60 which is about as much as Kesler. What he lacks defensively, Bolland more than makes up for it. Kadri is primed to be a point a game player once he hits his prime. Theres a lot of leaf hate on CDC for some reason, but if you actually watch Kadri play, he's one of the most skilled players in the league. I'd almost compare him to kane in terms of his silky smooth hands. People forget how young he is. He needs to work on consistency but he will get there. And not only that, but he's actually got some grit and is willing to lay the body. Bottom line, Kadri and Bolland would provide much more balance and production than Kesler alone. If only Bolland and the Sedins could hug and make up and Bolland wanted to re-sign here. I'd do it in a heartbeat

Archived