The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Team1040 Doug Maclean

davinci

If he's staying in Nashville, why didn't Poile sign both clauses (NTC and NMC) requested by Weber and his agent?

Just in case. I say he's a pred for life because he would never be moved for anything fair value or even slight overpayment.

No point in not leaving room for another team to massively overpay, though.

Because his name isn't Mike Gillis!

Well no. Gillis gets contracts under the cap that way, in Shea's case the numbers wouldn't change so the Preds would have had nothing to gain allowing him an NTC

yet goalie asking prices with an abundance of good goalies say the massive return you always say we can get wont happen...At most a 1st+3rd+mid prospect

The difference is though that the 2 major teams always rumoured about him are teams with new dynamics.

Islanders are a major bubble team needing a solid goaltender to be perennial playoff contenders

Florida's new owners have told Tallon to spend to the limit and get competitive.

a 1st 3rd and solid prospect for Luongo...deal done.

And we don't "need him" as everyone says. Lack seems capable and in a retooling year we can happily sign a 1b to share games with Lack while we sort out our roster issues

The difference is though that the 2 major teams always rumoured about him are teams with new dynamics.

Islanders are a major bubble team needing a solid goaltender to be perennial playoff contenders

Florida's new owners have told Tallon to spend to the limit and get competitive.

a 1st 3rd and solid prospect for Luongo...deal done.

And we don't "need him" as everyone says. Lack seems capable and in a retooling year we can happily sign a 1b to share games with Lack while we sort out our roster issues

im looking at Neuverith, Halaak, Ward and Miller UFA/on the block...Reimer will probably be moved as well so all im saying is don't expect a team to pay a huge premium price when teams like Toronto and Tampa pay little and got very solid goalies

What I heard on 1040 was that the Canucks were rumoured to be working on 2 deals that would include moving players that we would least likely expect. I wouldn't be surprised to see guys like Higgins, Schroeder, Hansen and probably a dman or two in play....Beiksa maybe even Hamhuis. Luongo is still a possibility.

There is little doubt that the Canucks are entering rebuilding mode. The worst possible thing that could happen now is for MG to be trading for older players. This team needs a solid mix of skilled youth to move forward. Our window to win the Cup has passed so lets get on with the rebuild.

The problem is, what Doug McLean thinks is unexpected, likely isn't here. I mean, has there been any players that haven't been identified as moveable on CDC? The only two I can see that would be a big surprise would be the Sedins. Everyone else should be in play and could be.

LOL Tanev untouchable...yeah he's playing great and is not too expensive, but wait until he ask for 4M+ for his next contract. Cue to the overpaid threads (probably will have an NTC too).

Tanev will never be a #1 or #2 defenseman. He is replaceable, specially with Corrado waiting for his turn. Tanev is great because he his overachieving comparing to his salary, just like Burrows, but will he be worth it at 4M+???

Tanev at 4 mill is a good deal, and he has been playing the number 2 spot with Hamuis a lot and has shown he is good enough to do it on a regular basis. Corrado is nowhere near the level of Tanev (yet).

If I had to guess, and I say this with a large grain of salt as MacLean is notoriously unreliable, I would say that it is Luongo.

And to the Isles. Hear me out.

Luongo would normally only waive to go to a playoff team, one would think, but due to the length of his deal he might be open to a shorter term inconvenience. If it appears that the Canucks are NOT going to make the playoffs, and there are no playoff bound teams seeking a goalie like Lou with a contract like his, then there maybe possibility for a hockey trade to be made.

adding to the fact that Snow has to move Vanek for an uncertain return, this could be a perfect opportunity for both organizations to fill immediate and long term needs without either being buyers or sellers.

If I had to guess, and I say this with a large grain of salt as MacLean is notoriously unreliable, I would say that it is Luongo.

Luongo would normally only waive to go to a playoff team, one would think, but due to the length of his deal he might be open to a shorter term inconvenience. If it appears that the Canucks are NOT going to make the playoffs, and there are no playoff bound teams seeking a goalie like Lou with a contract like his, then there maybe possibility for a hockey trade to be made.

adding to the fact that Snow has to move Vanek for an uncertain return, this could be a perfect opportunity for both organizations to fill immediate and long term needs without either being buyers or sellers.

Lou for Vanek?

Thats a bit of a stretch. All we get long term is cap relief. Until cap recapture comes back to bite us...

Or did I miss something in the suggestion?

My guess, if Lou is going anywhere is to St Louis; say for Stewart, 2knd and Halak?

Longshot Florida.

Lou for Vanek?

Thats a bit of a stretch. All we get long term is cap relief. Until cap recapture comes back to bite us...

My guess, if Lou is going anywhere is to St Louis; say for Stewart, 2knd and Halak?

Longshot Florida.

I wasn't specifically suggesting Vanek for Lou as that would have to be predicated on the ability to get Vanek signed long term which I think is unlikely.

What I was saying is that the Isles will need to be active at the deadline regardless and this opens the possibility of them making major changes to their roster.

On the off-chance that Vanek would commit to a LTC then I could see a straight-up swap.

What I think would be more likely in this scenario would be the Isles moving Vanek to Minny, as has been long suggested, for a roster player and a 1st, and then them picking up Lou in a separate deal.

Something like Lou for Bailey, Nilsson and a pick/prospect.

My real guess is Kassian!

No PF's don't grow on tree's. Yes there is a remarkable untapped as yet potential. Skills, speed, strength and snarl are all on offer.

But Torts has a track record of giving a Go, to guys who give an honest Go. The disclaimer is he wants guys who play hard and his version of the right way. Kassian does not block shots, is not the first guy into board battles, nor the first guy in to fore-check. And he gets misconducts for yapping waaay more often than for instigating or re-arranging somebodys face, even though he's capable of doing it. Does he play the right way?

Plus there is the lifestyle and maturity issues, and questions as to whether he gets it in general.

Torts might just prefer somebody who does...

Lou for Vanek?

Longshot Florida.

Either way, there's gotta be people now inquiring about Lu. Now that he isn't being shopped, the Leafs nation media has stopped dragging his name thru the mud.

I wasn't specifically suggesting Vanek for Lou as that would have to be predicated on the ability to get Vanek signed long term which I think is unlikely.

What I was saying is that the Isles will need to be active at the deadline regardless and this opens the possibility of them making major changes to their roster.

On the off-chance that Vanek would commit to a LTC then I could see a straight-up swap.

What I think would be more likely in this scenario would be the Isles moving Vanek to Minny, as has been long suggested, for a roster player and a 1st, and then them picking up Lou in a separate deal.

Something like Lou for Bailey, Nilsson and a pick/prospect.

OK.

But why Bailey and Nilsson, don't we have prospects that threaten to grow up just like them? We've spun our wheels acquiring guys that create a glut in one position,without rounding out our team for the better part of three years now. Deals should have a very focussed purpose.

I like Pulock who might fill one void, however are they in a position to give up on good young D?

My real guess is Kassian!

No PF's don't grow on tree's. Yes there is a remarkable untapped as yet potential. Skills, speed, strength and snarl are all on offer.

But Torts has a track record of giving a Go, to guys who give an honest Go. The disclaimer is he wants guys who play hard and his version of the right way. Kassian does not block shots, is not the first guy into board battles, nor the first guy in to fore-check. And he gets misconducts for yapping waaay more often than for instigating or re-arranging somebodys face, even though he's capable of doing it. Does he play the right way?

Plus there is the lifestyle and maturity issues, and questions as to whether he gets it in general.

Torts might just prefer somebody who does...

While JT was gone, kassian was the best forward on the team......because he was given a chance to play and a chance to make mistakes and learn from them. JT is the problem with Kass, not Kass himself.

I'd been pondering this myself, & a small variation. Lu to an unlikely destination out east(eg:NYI, or Wash). If it doesn't ignite an unlikely run, he'll then be moved(perhaps at draft) to Flor, for a King's ransom. Then the league/media will laugh/imply MG dropped the ball. We'll wind up with half the return that the next team receives.

Long believed the league(HQ's) is more involved in player movement than we'll ever likely realize.

Archived