The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Straight-A and Homeless

nucklehead

She’s an amazing young woman with straight As and a college scholarship lined up for when she graduates from high school this spring at age 17.

She’s a peer tutor who runs programs at school for at-risk youth using some of what she learned at a summer arts program last year. And, she volunteers 20 hours a week.

She’s also homeless.

http://www.vancouversun.com/touch/story.html?id=9517759

Well this is a tragic story. I bet this is the tip of the iceberg. I get that the Ministry has their general processes but they really need to focus cases on an individual basis more often. I hope all this turns out well in the end for this young woman.

She seems like a sweet girl but she doesn't seem to bright to me.

The article states that she had friends and all these other adults like teachers who even do extra stuff for her like buy her gifts but not one of them will let her stay with them for a while? In addition why is she so stubborn about not getting a job? Most 17 year olds have jobs and given her situation it would benefit her but her priorities seem to say doing 20 hours volunteer work a week is more important.

She graduates in Spring meaning she is almost done school. She could cut the volunteer work for a few months, get a job, give some of the money to a friends parents to let her stay for a few months or split an apartment with someone, then before she knows it she has graduated and no school and no homework for the summer gives her much more time to work and volunteer. With her grades she will likely get a good deal with college and living and can go from their.

It just seems like she's making it worse by not making mature life decisions.

She seems like a sweet girl but she doesn't seem to bright to me.

The article states that she had friends and all these other adults like teachers who even do extra stuff for her like buy her gifts but not one of them will let her stay with them for a while? In addition why is she so stubborn about not getting a job? Most 17 year olds have jobs and given her situation it would benefit her but her priorities seem to say doing 20 hours volunteer work a week is more important.

She graduates in Spring meaning she is almost done school. She could cut the volunteer work for a few months, get a job, give some of the money to a friends parents to let her stay for a few months or split an apartment with someone, then before she knows it she has graduated and no school and no homework for the summer gives her much more time to work and volunteer. With her grades she will likely get a good deal with college and living and can go from their.

It just seems like she's making it worse by not making mature life decisions.

She's still a minor by law. Therefore, someone has to represent her. Her mother appears to be disinterested and so is the Ministry by saying that she should just move back home into a disturbingly broken household. It's not so easy to tell her to 'just get a job'. If it were that easy, there would be no such thing as homelessness. I am far from a bleeding heart, but this story just shows how messed up a government run institution can be.

She's still a minor by law. Therefore, someone has to represent her. Her mother appears to be disinterested and so is the Ministry by saying that she should just move back home into a disturbingly broken household. It's not so easy to tell her to 'just get a job'. If it were that easy, there would be no such thing as homelessness. I am far from a bleeding heart, but this story just shows how messed up a government run institution can be.

A minor for what?

She is more than eligible to find a job. She is over 15 and doesn't need parental approval. Why she doesn't find a job... I'm not sure.

Keep in mind though - high grades doesn't necessarily reflect intelligence or real-life skills.Elementary/high school is a joke and doesn't adequately prepare you for life skills.

https://www.labour.g...ide/welcome.htm

Employing Young People Under 15

Before employing anyone under 15 years of age, an employer must have written consent from the employee’s parent or guardian. See the factsheet Employment of Young People – A Resource Guide for Parents.

If the employee is under 12, the employer must also have permission from the Director of Employment Standards.

See the factsheets General Employment of Young People and Employment of Young People in the B.C. Entertainment Industry for information on additional employment conditions for young employees. The Director of Employment Standards does not issue child employment permits for children employed in the entertainment industry.

I am not debating the messed up aspect of the situation but life can be hard especially for some people.

Many homeless people are homeless because of addictions, medical conditions, or simply uneducated. They can't get jobs because they are unqualified to handle many. A healthy 17 year old straight A student can get a job. While I can understand why she doesn't want to be at home she is making the choice to be homeless because she specifically makes it clear that she does not have time for a job because she is doing 20 hours of charity work a week.

My point is instead of turning herself into a charity now she could stop doing volunteer work until she graduates and just work a job and she won't have to be homeless or stay at her moms house. Then when she graduates she will have time to go back to doing charity work. Then when summer ends she will be off to college and with her grades she can live on campus for a good rate.

She isn't exactly trapped she could get herself out of this situation.

A minor for what?

She is more than eligible to find a job. She is over 15 and doesn't need parental approval. Why she doesn't find a job... I'm not sure.

Keep in mind though - high grades doesn't necessarily reflect intelligence or real-life skills.Elementary/high school is a joke and doesn't adequately prepare you for life skills.

https://www.labour.g...ide/welcome.htm

Employing Young People Under 15

Before employing anyone under 15 years of age, an employer must have written consent from the employee’s parent or guardian. See the factsheet Employment of Young People – A Resource Guide for Parents.

If the employee is under 12, the employer must also have permission from the Director of Employment Standards.

See the factsheets General Employment of Young People and Employment of Young People in the B.C. Entertainment Industry for information on additional employment conditions for young employees. The Director of Employment Standards does not issue child employment permits for children employed in the entertainment industry.

Who hires a homeless person?

I dont think shes all there,She talks about a black monster and thats why she doesnt want to live alone in a basement sweet.She is one of those people that chooses to live on the street.The reason the goverment wont put her into foster care is that she is 17 and as soon as she hits 18 the foster family wont get any money for her.

Good on the shelter for showing some character / judgement in going against the rules.

In an odd twist, she could ask for asylum in another country just by claiming she was in danger as long as it was legit... And then things like shelter come around.

Perhaps a situation boarding somewhere would have some prospects to help?

A minor for what?

Your compassion is overpowering...

Kids should have a right to a safe home.

Kids do have a right to at least a high school education as a youth. And student loans and the sort if they wish to pursue a higher education, perhaps with an aim to help herself and society. This is a girl who tutors, volunteers and shows a disposition to be of service.

You must own a McDonalds? :sick: Getting her a job there is a great solution... :picard:

Kids do have a right to at least a high school education as a youth. And student loans and the sort if they wish to pursue a higher education, perhaps with an aim to help herself and society. This is a girl who tutors, volunteers and shows a disposition to be of service.

You must own a McDonalds? :sick: Getting her a job there is a great solution... :picard:

Suck it up - most people have started out working a minimum wage job. The environment today is forcing university-grad students to do minimum wage jobs.

You just expect her to get a ~50k job straight outta high school? Give me a break.

Also, she seems like she's suffering from mental illness. Yes, society has failed her, but she's not the only victim. Don't let one person confuse you about the rest of the other people who are "suffering". As I mentioned, tons of university students (in which they are owing money because of student loans) are working minimum wage. And here, boohoo.. you don't want a 17 year old to work a min. wage job.

Guess what? You need work experience. McDonald's isn't a career, but it's a start towards looking for a career.

Kids should be entitled to a safe home but reality is many are not.

While this girl seems like a great person dedicating her time to tutoring and charity work her situation is not unique. Many kids have bad situations at home and instead of saying they won't take care of themselves they often get jobs and look to build a better life. It's weird and kind of dumb for someone to refuse to take care of themselves.

Plus I am surprised some people have acted like a 17 year old with a job was some sin. I am 24 now but at 17 I had a job as did literally every single one of my friends and none of us were in bad situations It was mainly your 17 now learn to take care of yourself because you will be more independent when you go off to college.

She sounds like a girl with a disorder or simple ignorance to reality. Ether way if she is going to be a successful adult she will have to learn to adapt to the cruelty of life and soon as she is already knocking on adulthoods door

Why not just quit volunteering and get a job? I agree that all kids deserve a home and the government is being ridiculous in this case, she is being dealt a tough hand no doubt. However that's out of her control and she isn't doing herself any favours by sacrificing her own well being for others. This peer tutoring and volunteering stuff seems like a waste of time when you're struggling to meet your most basic needs.

By no means am I calling her lazy (she's harder working than I was at that age), I'm just saying she could work smarter, not harder. Volunteering seems like a luxury she can't afford. Why not get paid for the 20 hours of work she's already doing? She is definitely qualified.

She has fallen through the cracks. It's unfortunate, but most likely she'll just have to rely upon herself to pull herself through.

While it is callous to just simply say she should just get a job, but that's pretty much the only choice she has. That girl has excelled both academically and through her volunteer work, so getting an entry level job wouldn't be too difficult. As for her "homelessness" problem, she just gotta borrow her friend's address for the resume and so on.

Since she already have scholarships lined up (assuming the article is correct), qualifying for bursaries shouldn't be too far off either. Couple that with a potential part-time job, that should be more than enough to live in dorm or shared accommodations. Having colleagues and friends as some support would go a long way. School counseling might not be sufficient to help with some of her mental illness, but it certainly will be a good first time until the proper physicians can truly help her out.

Best of luck to her.

Archived