The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Heritage Classic Alumni Game: Happening Or Not?

The Heritage Classic and Winter Classic have generated a tradition of holding an alumni event prior to the actual regular-season outdoor game. Beginning in Edmonton in 2003, each event with the Classic namesake has involved an alumni game, and in the case of the Heritage Classic, each has been televised.

There exists uncertainty about this year, though, as the recent outdoor Stadium Series has established that an alumni game is not a guarantee with these events.

This year's Heritage Classic, to be held on March 2, is quickly approaching, and nothing has been mentioned about an alumni game. Recently, @FakeCanucksLive asked the Canucks' official twitter account whether an alumni game would occur. This interaction can be read below:

FakeCanucksLive@FakeCanucksLive Jan 24

@VanCanucks Hey real Canucks, will there be an alumni game prior to the Heritage Classic? If yes, will it be aired on television?

5:12 AM - 24 Jan 2014

Vancouver Canucks@VanCanucks Jan 24

@FakeCanucksLive - We'll let you know as soon as we know.

8:28 AM - 24 Jan 2014 · Details

I don't believe any tickets have been sold for an alumni game or whether the tickets to the actual regular-season game will include admission to see an alumni game of any sort. Nothing has been mentioned so far, which leads me to believe there will be no game. Please post below if there is anything more recent regarding this than what I've posted.

An alumni game would be a significant event, as we would once again likely see some of the team's greatest players -- fan favorites who we have not seen in quite some time. Names like Pavel Bure, Markus Naslund, and Trevor Linden would theoretically headline the event for the Canucks. In particular, it would give fans to provide those three players with a well-deserved, lengthy standing ovation -- particularly Pavel, who at his retirement ceremony was not given an opportunity to embrace a lengthy ovation of any kind.

Would you like an alumni game to occur, and are you disappointed that nothing has been mentioned?

i just dont see any of the sens past guys being interested in this. if they were, tickets would have been on sale for an alumni game already, no? just the fact that the sens have only been around for a little over 20 years and most of their alumni... still play. unless you have the vancouver canucks vs. the ghosts of the 1915 sens

i just dont see any of the sens past guys being interested in this. if they were, tickets would have been on sale for an alumni game already, no? just the fact that the sens have only been around for a little over 20 years and most of their alumni... still play. unless you have the vancouver canucks vs. the ghosts of the 1915 sens

We still wouldn't be able to score.

There's barely enough time for them to get the Stadium ready for the game itself. There won't be an alumni game. Ice is going to start to be put in on the 26th at the earliest. Too much of a time crunch for there to be an alumni game.

Edit - Here's a source: Jeff Paterson@patersonjeff Feb 6

@ewales no alumni game. No other games of any kind (junior/university/minor hockey) at BC Place due to tight timelines.

Archived