The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mafia: Decoded - Game has Started

Aladeen

Mafia: Decoded

dating_decoded_600x369.jpg

The year is 2050. Organized Crime has begun a transition to the digital world. The rapidly growing amount of cyber-crime has led the World’s Governments to unite together to combat these technologically-adept Mafia.

A Commission made up of the best minds in the world has been assembled. The Cyber Crimes Commission or “Triple C” has set a mandate to use any and all means necessary to disrupt the Hierarchy of Organized Digital Crime. The world has given them the power and jurisdiction to use any and all means necessary to eliminate the growing threat of the Digital Mafia.

The Deadline for all Executive Decisions will be - 8:45PM PST

The Real Time Update will be given at - 9:00PM PST

Introduction

Introduction

Mafia is a game of strategy, trust, intuition, risk, and luck.

It is a game between two factions battling to the death for victory. Everyone is either a Townsperson or a Mafia. The Mafia know each other's identities, and work together in a group – once a night, they select a Townsperson to kill. The Townspeople do not know each other's identities, but must debate during the day who might be the Mafia among them, and then vote for someone to lynch. They must root out the Mafia through any information they can gather. There are often special roles that can assist the Townspeople, such as a Sheriff, a Doctor, etc. The winning group is the group left standing when all other members of the opposition have been eliminated.

History on CDC

Krazz introduced the game of Mafia on White Noise way back in 2008. Games were run in sequence for quite some time, during the initial heyday of Mafia on CDC. But eventually the games died off as interest waned. Fortunately, over time, Krazz and others (notably T-rex930) have re-booted Mafia several times, allowing players old and new alike to experience the game again and again.

Gameplay

Factions

There are two main factions: the Townspeople and the Mafia. Each side's objective is to eliminate the other. In addition, there is often a Serial Killer role, which is unaffiliated with either side and seeks to be the last player standing.

Roles

Aside from the two competing factions, there are some special roles that usually appear in the game as well, helping one side or the other. Please note that not all roles will appear in every game. Roles that have been previously used include:

Sheriff – The Sheriff is a Townsperson who can investigate one player per round. He will send a PM to the GM with one name; the GM will then inform the Sheriff if that player is Townsperson or Mafia.

Doctor – The Doctor is a Townsperson who can choose one player to "protect" during each night. If the Mafia try to kill that player, their kill will not go through – he or she will be saved by the Doctor. The Doctor may only self-save himself twice per game. The Doctor's save also only applies to one kill attempt per target per round - if, for example, both the Mafia and Serial Killer target the Doctor-protected player, the first attempt will be "saved" but the second will successfully eliminate the targeted player.

Vigilante – The Vigilante is a Townsperson who can kill one person each night. By the end of every round, he must send one name to the GM, and the player he names will be killed prior to the beginning of the next round.

Serial Killer – The Serial Killer is unaligned with either major faction. The Serial Killer gets one kill a night. He does not win with either TP or Mafia – he only wins if he is the last one standing. Although often a difficult role to win with, ithas happened on several occasions.

Kingpin – The Kingpin is the head of the Mafia. The exact aspects to this role can vary, but generally the Kingpin will get an investigative power every two rounds – he or she will select one name, and the GM will reveal if that name is a Regular Townsperson or a Special Role (i.e. Sheriff, Doctor, Vigilante). The Kingpin will also show up as "Not Mafia" to the Sheriff. However, the Kingpin cannot submit kills on the Mafia's behalf.

Twinblade - The Twinblade is a Townsperson who has a one-time ability to kill another player. However, the catch is that the Twinblade will die as well in their attempt.

Lackey - The Lackey is a role-blocker who secretly works for the Mafia. The Lackey shows up as Town on investigation and have no contact with the Mafia, but aims to make contact with the Mafia and help them win. The Lackey chooses one player each round to role-block - the chosen target will be blocked from performing his action. This includes blocking the Mafia from making their kill. The Lackey cannot block an action taken against himself. The Lackey cannot block the same player/group (i.e. Mafia group) on two consecutive nightfalls.

Watcher - The Watcher is a Town-aligned role who chooses one player to "watch" during the night. If any action is performed on the watched player (i.e. Mafia kill, Vig/SK kill, Sheriff investigation) the Watcher will be informed who targeted the player, although not what action was taken. If multiple actions were performed, the Watcher will only learn of the first one. The Watcher is able to "watch" himself.

Paranoid Sheriff - Much like the vanilla Sheriff, the Paranoid Sheriff will be given an investigation per round. Unlike the vanilla Sheriff, the results that return to the Paranoid Sheriff will always be "affiliated to the mafia." Similar to all the Sheriff roles, the Paranoid Sheriff will not be able to investigate himself.

Naive Sheriff - Much like the vanilla Sheriff, the Naive Sheriff will be given an investigation per round. Unlike the vanilla Sheriff, the results that return to the Naive Sheriff will always be "not affiliated to the mafia." Similar to all the Sheriff roles, the Naive Sheriff will not be able to investigate himself.

Psycho Sheriff - Much like the vanilla Sheriff, the Psycho Sheriff will be given an investigation per round. Unlike the vanilla Sheriff, the results that return to the Psycho Sheriff will always be the opposite of the player's actual affiliation (i.e. mafia will show up as "not affiliated to the mafia", townspeople will show up as "affiliated to the mafia.") Similar to all the Sheriff roles, the Psycho Sheriff will not be able to investigate himself.

Med Kit - The Med Kit is an inanimate, moveable object in the game, assigned to a random player at the beginning of the game. This player will be protected from a kill (not a lynch) for that round's nightfall. However, he will need to pass on the Med Kit to someone else in the game afterward. Two names will need to given to the GM by the end of the round - one of those names given will be chosen at random and that player will be given the Kit once the new round begins. The original holder of the Med Kit will not know which player was chosen. The player given the Med Kit will not know who gave it to him. If one of the two players whose names are given is killed off that night, the second player will automatically receive the Med Kit. If both given names are killed, the Med Kit will be taken out of the game. If the holder of the Med Kit is lynched, the Med Kit will be taken out of the game. If the holder of the Med Kit forgets to submit two names, the Med Kit will be re-assigned randomly to another player in the game. The same player cannot receive the Med Kit more than once every three rounds.

Cult Leader - The Cult Leader, similar to the Serial Killer, is unaligned with either major faction. However, the Cult Leader has the ability to recruit one player into their Cult each night up until round 3. After Round 3, the Cult Leader can only recruit new players every second night. (i.e. Round 1, Round 2, Round 4, Round 6, etc..) Cultists do not have the ability to kill other players. The Cult wins by becoming the majority faction in the game.

Round Layout

Each round lasts 24 hours; the next round begins once the previous one ends with a GM update.

During the round, the players will debate and discuss the identities of other players in the game thread, trying to uncover the Mafia in the group. They will then vote on one person, who they believe to be Mafia, to be lynched. At the end of the round, whoever has the most votes will be lynched.

At the same time, via private conversation over the forum's messaging system, the Mafia members will discuss and vote on who they wish to kill that night. Once they've decided, they will inform the GM.

Also during the round, the Sheriff will investigate a player, and the Doctor and Vigilante will send in their target player to save or kill. Any other special roles will also conduct their business prior to the end of the round, unless their role states otherwise.

At a specified time, the round will end. The GM will then post the results of who was lynched, who was killed, and whether anyone was saved. The new round will then begin.

Note on order of precedence:

All kills, investigations, saves, etc must be sent via PM to the GM prior to the end of the round.

The kill order is:

1) Lynch

2) Twinblade

3) Serial Killer

4) Mafia

5) Vigilante

Any of the above roles who are killed prior to their own attack occurring will not have their kill go through. God Kills (for inactivity or rule-breaking) take precedence over everything.

Notes on voting:

1) Please bold your vote in the game thread. E.g. Vote Intoewsables. If you wish to change your vote, please do something like: Unvote Intoewsables; Vote Master Radishes. The exact format does not matter so much, as long as it is bolded and clear who you are voting for. Only bolded votes count. Nicknames are acceptable, as long as it is obvious who you are referring to.

2) Any votes in edited postswill not count. This is to prevent anyone going back later and secretly changing their vote once it has been cast. If you edit your post at all, you must recast your vote.

3) In the event of a tied vote, there will be no lynching. Instead, the following round, there will be a tiebreaking vote, alongside the regular lynch vote. Therefore, players will vote for two lynchings - one between the tied players, and one for everyone else.

Rules

1) Currently, rounds will end at 8:45 PM PST. (Under other GMs, this may change, although it is usually during late evening Pacific Time.) The GM will update as quickly as possible; please be patient if there is a delay.

2) Once you've been killed off, please do not interfere with the game. Don't post during in-game discussions or loan your opinion to players, not even privately. The only comments you make should be completely off-topic and in no danger of influencing the game in any manner. Please stay honest when conducting private correspondence as well.

3) Please stay active. If you sign up, that means you want to play. If you do not vote at least once every two rounds, you will be killed off for inactivity. If this happens again, you will possibly be suspended for one game. All punishment is at the discretion of the GM.

4) Screenshots of any communication (especially with the GM) are not allowed. If anyone is caught posting screenshots of any form, whether in PM, email, IM, or anything, that player will be banned from at least one game. It is also against the rules to copy/paste any message from the GM. Also, do not invite the GM into any private conversations, unless to prove rule-breaking. The GM is not playing the game, so keep him out of it!

5) If you are lynched, you are allowed last words. But anyone who is killed by any other means does not get last words.

6) Usually, exact numbers of each role are not revealed. But as a general rule of thumb, the Mafia will probably equal about one-third of the total players, and there will only be one of each Special role. This can vary, however.

7) Please avoid editing your posts if at all possible, in order to prevent changing or removing information in old posts. Leeway will be granted if the edit is made within the first 10 minutes after posting; after 10 minutes, there may be punishment (i.e. loss of your lynch vote) at the GM's discretion. (Tip: if you're that concerned about spelling and grammatical errors, proofread before posting.)

8) The word of the GM is final. If you disagree with something, feel free to say so (privately), but understand that the ongoing game will likely not be altered. And please remain civil if you do have a complaint – remember that the GMs are devoting their own time to running this game for you.

9) Remember, this is just a game! If things start getting heated or personal between players, take a breath and a step back. The GM reserves the right to hand out warnings or further punishment as he sees fit. Just have fun, and don't take it too hard if you get duped during the game! (Some players can be quite tricky!)

Aladeen’s Commandments

Aladeen’s Commandments:

This is not a democracy it is a dictatorship, if at any time I feel that someone has broken a rule I will not hesitate to God-Kill them instantly without trial or warning. If I feel the integrity of a game has been compromised by a breach in the rules I will not hesitate to cancel the remainder of the game and publicly call-out those I feel responsible. (This game is about having fun but don’t waste my time.)

It’s fine if you don’t agree to these following rules and want someone else to host. But if you do put your name on the list then you agree to abide by all of the following:

I) Player Lists will not be given out while a game is still in progress

So don’t even ask!

II) Do not interfere with the game if you are dead.

This includes (posts, PMs, +1s, anything else that may affect the outcome of a game) - If you are unsure if something is interference DON’T DO IT! - Obviously there is not much recourse against players who may interfere with the game once they are dead, but if I feel the integrity of the game has been compromised I will cancel the remainder of the game, again calling out all those I feel were the ones responsible for the interference.

III) Do Not PM the host seeking information to gain advantage in this game

If I get the sense, at all, a question about the game is any way trying to coerce information out of me about what other players roles are, I will not hesitate to God-Kill that person. (Again don’t waste my time in PMs) - If you have a legitimate question about your role, reread the rules section, if you are still unclear then you may PM me but include why you are unclear about which rule or role specifically. (simple yes or no answers for me would be preferable)

The only PMs I want to see are Role Action PMs

IV) Out of game collusion will result in a cancellation of the remainder of the game

If I suspect there has been collusion of any kind (friends giving out Mafia list or TP roles etc) and that the integrity of the game has been compromised I will not hesitate to cancel the remainder of the game with no prior warning or notification and call out publically all those I suspect of collusion.

V) Do not use my initial Role PMs to try to validate someone’s Role or Faction within the game

Every PM will be unique so if there is a Comma missing after the third word this implies NOTHING. This is a stupid way of gathering information and takes away from the integrity of the game. Once my PMs have gone out and you know your role, no more information should be gained from them. Again if I find people grilling others about what the details of my PMs I will view this as interference and that person may be God-Killed. In fact I would prefer if all my initial PMs are deleted once you have been informed of your role.

I feel this violates the spirit of the game.

VI) The Game does not start until I have handed out all of the Roles

Wait until all roles have been handed out before commencing any sort of communication about the game. This includes PMs, Posts, whatever.

VII) My word is the law, there is no debate, or argument once a decision has been made.

VIII) Ignorance of the rules will not excuse rule infractions!

IX) Keep things civil in all interactions (I will not tolerate mean spirited insults in my games)

X) Have Fun!

These Commandments are added to all the rules already in place and are not replacing them. Also it should be noted, I may crack down harder on any and all rule infractions, (punishments may range from a warning, to an in game penalty, to being God-Killed or even the early cancelation of the game, depending on the severity of the infraction.)

46269815.jpg

******New Roles & Changes From Last Round*******

Changes:

Voting

Please Vote Using This Format - Bolded Vote + Round Number then Name:

Voting for Round 1 Example:

Vote1 Aladeen

Voting for Round 5 Example:

Vote5 Aladeen

Any Votes not placed in this format MAY NOT be counted!!!

Coded Messages

Randomly, each round, everyone will receive a coded message in the main thread.

Once the Post has been made ALL PLAYERS will have until the end of the round to decrypt, decipher, or decode the message.

THE FIRST PLAYER to correctly solve the code in the thread will be granted a special power which they may use at any time starting in the FOLLOWING round.

This special power or ability may be different each time.

Hints to break the codes may show up periodically.

Posse

There is a group of players known collectively as the “Posse”.

Every Second Round they have the ability to form a Posse and conduct a lynching separate of the main town lynch.

The Criteria for a second lynching is as follows:

1. The Majority are in agreement as to the lynch target. (if there are 7 Posse members 4 must agree on the lynch target, if there are 6 Posse members 4 must still agree)

2. There must also be a Majority which agrees upon the Posse “Leader”. One of whom is the leader him/herself. If a Posse Lynch is Successful the “Leader’s” identity (not their role or alignment) will be revealed to all players who have investigation roles (Sheriff, Kingpin etc.) And this player may not use any action (lynch vote or special) in the following round.

3. There must be a minimum of 4 Posse members alive in order for a Posse Lynch to take place.

Everyone within the Posse will be aware of all Posse members, however Posse Members may be aligned with any faction and may have another role.

Every Even Numbered Round (2,4,6 etc) the Posse Members shall all PM me in this format:

PM Title: Posse Lynch Vote

Posse Lynch Vote - Aladeen

Posse Leader Nomination - Aladeen

A Posse member can be lynched by the Posse.

All Posse Voting will be private.

Unsanctioned Lynch

Every Round All TP (meaning those with no special role) will simply PM me a name of any player they wish to see killed.

If the TP are UNANIMOUS in who they want to lynch, yet another lynch will take place.

This Lynch can only happen once in the game.

If the lynch does go through the first TP who Pmed that round with their lynch vote will be thrown in jail if a sheriff is still alive and this TP’s regular lynch vote will not count for the rest of the game.

There is no minimum number of TP required to enact the unsanctioned Lynch.

Posse Members Can Vote for an unsanctioned lynch so long as they have no other role.

Hacker

Just a Watcher with a different name

:P

Plastic Surgeon

Aligned with the Mafia.

Each round the Plastic surgeon may submit the name of ANY player to me Via PM. If ANY alignment investigator investigates the chosen player during the FOLLOWING round, their Alignment will show up OPPOSITE of what it actually is.

Example:

In Round 1 the Plastic Surgeon chooses Aladeen.

Aladeen is affiliated with the mafia

In Round 2 the sheriff Investigates Aladeen

the results the sheriff sees is: Aladeen is NOT affiliated with the mafia.

Known Roles

Although there may be more roles in this game than outlined here there will be AT LEAST one of each of the following:

Sheriff

Doctor

Vigilante

Watcher (Hacker)

KingPin

Plastic Surgeon

Serial Killer

Player List

1. Dral

2. PPCLI

3. King Heffy

4. Master Radishes

5. Luciferace

6. Peaches

7. g_bassi13

8. VICanucksfan5551

9. One one two

10. OurTimeToShine

11. Big Mike

12. Intoewsables

13. Bo Hunter Booth

14. Kryten

15. Azzy Mahmood

16. Caboose

17. Ilduce39

18. John Tavares

19. JE14

20. LTCanucksfanatic

21. Kesler87

22. Go Faulk Yourself

23. Cucumber

24. D.Doughty

25. Where's Wellwood

Player List

1. Dral

2. PPCLI

3. King Heffy

4. Master Radishes

5. Luciferace

6. Peaches

7. g_bassi13

8. VICanucksfan5551

9. One one two

10. OurTimeToShine

11. Big Mike

12. Intoewsables

13. Bo Hunter Booth

14. Kryten

15. Azzy Mahmood

16. Caboose

17. Ilduce39

1. Dral

2. PPCLI

3. King Heffy

4. Master Radishes

5. Luciferace

6. Peaches

7. g_bassi13

8. VICanucksfan5551

9. One one two

10. OurTimeToShine

11. Big Mike

12. Intoewsables

13. Bo Hunter Booth

14. Kryten

15. Azzy Mahmood

16. Caboose

17. Ilduce39

18. John Tavares

19. JE14

Changes Updated Please read them:

******New Roles & Changes From Last Round*******

Changes:

Voting

Please Vote Using This Format - Bolded Vote + Round Number then Name:

Voting for Round 1 Example:

Vote1 Aladeen

Voting for Round 5 Example:

Vote5 Aladeen

Any Votes not placed in this format MAY NOT be counted!!!

Coded Messages

At the beginning of each round, everyone will receive a coded message in the main thread.

Once the Post has been made ALL PLAYERS will have until the end of the round to decrypt, decipher, or decode the message.

THE FIRST PLAYER to correctly solve the code in the thread will be granted a special power which they may use at any time starting in the FOLLOWING round.

This special power or ability may be different each time.

Posse

There is a group of players known collectively as the “Posse”.

Every Second Round they have the ability to form a Posse and conduct a lynching separate of the main town lynch.

The Criteria for a second lynching is as follows:

1. The Majority are in agreement as to the lynch target. (if there are 7 Posse members 4 must agree on the lynch target, if there are 6 Posse members 4 must still agree)

2. There must also be a Majority which agrees upon the Posse “Leader”. One of whom is the leader him/herself. If a Posse Lynch is Successful the “Leader’s” identity (not their role or alignment) will be revealed to all players who have investigation roles (Sheriff, Kingpin etc.) And this player may not use any action (lynch vote or special) in the following round.

3. There must be a minimum of 4 Posse members alive in order for a Posse Lynch to take place.

Everyone within the Posse will be aware of all Posse members, however Posse Members may be aligned with any faction and may have another role.

Every Even Numbered Round (2,4,6 etc) the Posse Members shall all PM me in this format:

PM Title: Posse Lynch Vote

Posse Lynch Vote - Aladeen

Posse Leader Nomination - Aladeen

A Posse member can be lynched by the Posse.

All Posse Voting will be private.

Unsanctioned Lynch

Every Round All TP (meaning those with no special role) will simply PM me a name of any player they wish to see killed.

If the TP are UNANIMOUS in who they want to lynch, yet another lynch will take place.

This Lynch can only happen once in the game.

If the lynch does go through the first TP who Pmed that round with their lynch vote will be thrown in jail if a sheriff is still alive and this TP’s regular lynch vote will not count for the rest of the game.

There is no minimum number of TP required to enact the unsanctioned Lynch.

Posse Members Can Vote for an unsanctioned lynch so long as they have no other role.

Hacker

Just a Watcher with a different name

:P

Plastic Surgeon

Aligned with the Mafia.

Each round the Plastic surgeon may submit the name of ANY player to me Via PM. If ANY alignment investigator investigates the chosen player during the FOLLOWING round, their Alignment will show up OPPOSITE of what it actually is.

Example:

In Round 1 the Plastic Surgeon chooses Aladeen.

Aladeen is affiliated with the mafia

In Round 2 the sheriff Investigates Aladeen

the results the sheriff sees is: Aladeen is NOT affiliated with the mafia.

Known Roles

Although there may be more roles in this game than outlined here there will be AT LEAST one of each of the following:

Sheriff

Doctor

Vigilante

Watcher (Hacker)

KingPin

Plastic Surgeon

Serial Killer

1. Dral

2. PPCLI

3. King Heffy

4. Master Radishes

5. Luciferace

6. Peaches

7. g_bassi13

8. VICanucksfan5551

9. One one two

10. OurTimeToShine

11. Big Mike

12. Intoewsables

13. Bo Hunter Booth

14. Kryten

15. Azzy Mahmood

16. Caboose

17. Ilduce39

18. John Tavares

19. JE14

20. LTCanucksfanatic

21. Kesler87

Updating from other thread.

The whole coded message thing sounds cool - but you should up the time limit... if you post it and no one is around for 15 minutes its wasted

No the codes will be easy at least to begin with and they will generally be near the role action deadline.

No the codes will be easy at least to begin with and they will generally be near the role action deadline.

Why not just randomly pick someone to get a special power then :P

If they are easy, and all you have to do is be online first, then it's just a lotto pick

Archived