The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Steve Yzerman to step down as executive director of Team Canada

http://www.ctvnews.ca/sochi/steve-yzerman-to-step-down-as-executive-director-of-team-canada-1.1700080

image.jpg

Team Canada Olympic hockey team Executive Director Steve Yzerman and head coach Mike Babcock, right, speak following the announcement of the team roster in Toronto, Tuesday Jan. 7, 2014. (Mark Blinch / THE CANADIAN PRESS)

The Canadian Press

Published Sunday, February 23, 2014 12:12PM EST

Last Updated Sunday, February 23, 2014 12:55PM EST

SOCHI, Russia -- Steve Yzerman won't be going for a third Olympic gold medal.

Team Canada's executive director says he will not lead the team into the 2018 Olympics in Pyeongchang, South Korea.

Yzerman built the team that beat Sweden 3-0 on Sunday to capture a second straight men's hockey gold at the Sochi Olympics.

He leaves his post after leading Team Canada to back-to-back gold medals for the first time since 1948 and 1952.

He assembled one of the best defensive lineups ever to wear the Maple Leaf in Sochi as Canada gave up just three goals in six games.

They shut out the Americans 1-0 in the semifinals before defeating Sweden in the final.

When asked if the team in Sochi is the best defensive crew ever to represent Canada, Yzerman said "I believe so."

It's still not clear if NHL players will participate in the 2018 Olympics.

...standing ovation to you, Stevie Y. Did the best job anyone could do assembling back-to-back gold teams and one of the best ever. My fav player of all time, great to see he's excelling just as much outside the rink as he did when he was on it. Legend.

Prolly figures best to go out on top, 2 in a row, plus its really stressful, he doesnt even smile until the end of the tournament lol!!

Most likley as well with the uncertainty for next olympics with NHL players he figured best to avoid it completely go out top and just focus on his team nothing else.

A super stressful job. You win, and it's expected. You lose, and the entire nation is up in arms.

I can understand why he would step down after a perfect 2-for-2 record. Better to focus his time and energy on the Lightning now.

Very stressful indeed. After every Canada goal they would show Steve's reaction and he had a stressful/nervous look on his face. I felt bad for him every time they showed it. I can't blame him for stepping down. One of the hardest job in all of hockey as far as I'm concerned

Very stressful indeed. After every Canada goal they would show Steve's reaction and he had a stressful/nervous look on his face. I felt bad for him every time they showed it. I can't blame him for stepping down. One of the hardest job in all of hockey as far as I'm concerned

Totally agree you can see the stress he was going through; after every win you could tell he was thinking this game has no relevance the next one matters. Hard to do that when the rest of the country is enjoying the games.

Destroyed his relationship with Marty St.Louis aswell.

According to:

Nick Kypreos@RealKyper 32m

It's believed St.Louis did ask #Lightning 4 trade when left off Canada. I'm told some #NHL clubs not sure if he still feels the same way now

Clearly must have taken a toll on Yzerman.

But standing O to him for a fantastic job. To put together a team under so much scrutiny and second guessing is pretty impressive. Even though we have so much talent, it doesn't always guarantee a Gold Medal. The culture in the room, the work ethic, the personalities, the goals, etc all have to be the same. Yzerman and Co did a great job of giving the players the tools with which to be successful.

Archived