The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Steve Yzerman to step down as executive director of Team Canada

I have a feeling that Sakic will lead Colorado to success for the next few years. A young, fast team like them will do some damage going forward.

He and Yzerman have both done an excellent job building their respected NHL clubs, and I see Sakic as a top contender for Canada's next GM.

Jim Nill could be a wildcard.

Is it just me or did it look like Yzerman had no interests in this team?

He never seem to be showing any emotions after a win, even after the gold medal win.

Probably hard to enjoy something after spending so much time feeling stressed out. Its a horrible job to have. Team loses and its your fault for not picking the right personnel. Team wins and people talk about how anyone could put a gold medal team together because of Canada's depth.

I really think that this team mattered to him. If it didn't matter that much, he would have done the political thing and picked Marty St. Louis right off the bat. If he wasn't invested in the Team Canada, he would have done what was best for the Lightning.

According to:

Nick Kypreos@RealKyper 32m

Clearly must have taken a toll on Yzerman.

But standing O to him for a fantastic job. To put together a team under so much scrutiny and second guessing is pretty impressive. Even though we have so much talent, it doesn't always guarantee a Gold Medal. The culture in the room, the work ethic, the personalities, the goals, etc all have to be the same. Yzerman and Co did a great job of giving the players the tools with which to be successful.

That makes me lose so much respect for Marty, I really hope that isn't true.

That makes me lose so much respect for Marty, I really hope that isn't true.

Well considering he left off Marty the first time for the 2010 Olympics, I'd think Marty thought that since Stevie Y watches a majority of the Lightning games, he knows him the best so it woulda made one roster spot an easier decision

Well considering he left off Marty the first time for the 2010 Olympics, I'd think Marty thought that since Stevie Y watches a majority of the Lightning games, he knows him the best so it woulda made one roster spot an easier decision

Yzerman obviously didn't think he was good enough to get onto the best team in the world both of those times. It's a professional team, at possibly the largest stage in the sport. Marty should have been professional and accepted Yzerman was just doing his job. Not ask for a trade cause his GM wasn't being biased and left him off the team. If that tweet is true I'm really disappointed in Marty.

Yzerman obviously didn't think he was good enough to get onto the best team in the world both of those times. It's a professional team, at possibly the largest stage in the sport. Marty should have been professional and accepted Yzerman was just doing his job. Not ask for a trade cause his GM wasn't being biased and left him off the team. If that tweet is true I'm really disappointed in Marty.

Pretty hard to do a better job than Martin St Louis though. The year before he was the Art Ross winner in the NHL, the arguably best league in the world. He proved again and again that he can be an elite player despite his size. I don't know how he can prove more to Yzerman.

Pretty hard to do a better job than Martin St Louis though. The year before he was the Art Ross winner in the NHL, the arguably best league in the world. He proved again and again that he can be an elite player despite his size. I don't know how he can prove more to Yzerman.

I'm not trying to take anything off Marty. The man is an elite player, no doubt about it. Its arguable that he deserved to be on the team over a few forwards (I'd say Nash and Kunitz, for sure). The man came into the league against all odds, undrafted, very small in stature, and for that he deserves respect, no doubt. All that being said, I really dislike him asking for a trade because his GM didn't pick him for the team. I think its really disrespectful, unprofessional and immature regardless of how hurt he was by the decision. I sincerely hope that tweet isn't true, cause it does make me lose some respect for him. Someone I respect a lot.

Archived