The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

RIP Harold Ramis, Egon Spengler

Warhippy

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/feb/24/harold-ramis-caddyshack-ghostbusters-dies-69/

Harold Ramis, one of Tinseltown’s most successful comedy movie-makers with acting credits that include “Ghostbusters” and “Stripes,” died Monday at the age of 69.

His wife Erica Mann Ramis said he passed from a long illness, the Chicago Tribune reported. He was also known for his writing and directing work on blockbusters “Caddyshack” and “Groundhog Day.”

His health problems began in mid-2010, after surgery for diverticulitis which brought on complications related to the autoimmune disease, the Tribune reported. He spent four months learning to walk again at the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota, before transferring to a rehabilitation facility in Chicago.

He regained his strength — and walking abilities — a year and a half later, but then suffered a relapse and never completely recovered, the Tribune reported.

Among his comedy credits: “National Lampoon’s Animal House,” “National Lampoon’s Vacation,” and “Analyze This.”

ap8401010940_s220x157.jpg?ec1d7f4ebe1b603773d26228c19c3624612d214a

Enlarge PhotoShown in this scene from the 1984 movie “Ghostbusters” are Bill Murray, ... more >

He also leaves behind a reputation as being an overall good person.

“He’s the least changed by success of anyone I know in terms of sense of humor, of humility, sense of self,” said Bernie Sahlins, who worked with Mr. Ramis, in the Tribune. “He’s the same Harold he was 30 years ago. He’s had enormous success relatively, but none of it has gone to his head in any way.”

Meanwhile, Laurel Ward, the vice president of development at Ramis’ Ocean Pictures Production Company, said of his 15 years of work with the passed actor and writer: He was the “world’s best mentor,” the Tribune reported.

--------------------

Thus gets put to rest the hope of a 3rd installment of Ghostbusters :(

A funny, funny guy, better known as the sidekick to Bill Murray on screen, but very involved in lots of funny movies behind the camera.

MV5BOTgxMDEwNjk0NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzA4NDAzNA@@._V1_SX640_SY720_.jpg

Harold got his start in comedy as Playboy magazine's joke editor and reviewer. In 1969 he joined Chicago's Second City's Improvisational Theatre Troupe before moving to New York to help write and perform in 'The National Lampoon Show' with other Second City graduates including John Belushi, Gilda Radner, and Bill Murray. By 1976 he was head writer and a regular performer on the top Canadian comedy series 'SCTV' His Hollywood debut came when he collaborated on the script for 'National Lampoon's Animal House' which was produced by Ivan Reitman. After that he worked as writer with Ivan as producer on 'Meatballs', 'Stripes', 'Ghostbusters' and 'Ghostbusters II' and acted in the latter three.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000601/bio?ref_=nm_ov_bio_sm

RIP

Always felt that another Ghostbusters sequel at this point would be a mistake, esp. since Murray declined, but this officially ends it.

Inevitable reboot instead, with or without original cast cameos, probably the plan now.

I would LOVE for a Ghostbusters remake/reboot, so long as they kept or updated the wit and innuendo of the original(s).

I actually had no idea Ramis was a director, let alone of Groundhog Day, Year One, and Analyze This/That. I shamelessly admit, Year One is a total guilty pleasure of mine.

Archived