The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Ryan Miller unlikely to be traded; Sabres focusing on re-signing him

It surprises me how difficult it is to move a goaltender. So many teams with sub par goaltending like WSH, TB, EDM, CAL etc.. yet they just don't want to pay the price to acquire one. I mean we couldn't move Luongo for close to 2 seasons, and the Schneider trade - while I'm happy with Horvat - didn't yield as significant return as expected. It seems teams are relying upon free agency (of the few average goaltenders that actually become free agents) and drafting.

Giving up a roster players and youth for the guarantee of having fewer goals against should make some of the struggling teams cream their pants. But the end result is goaltenders can't be moved.

I guess it kind of makes sense if Miller is truly that loyal. Buffalo's rebuilding trajectory isn't as long as most people think (about 2-3 years, especially considering their prospect pool and young core). After they draft Reinhart/Bennett and McDavid/Eichel, use their other high picks to draft some depth and sign a couple of free agents to fill in the rest of the holes, they should be good to go.

They're pretty much where Chicago was right before Toews and Kane.

I still see Miller getting dealt before March 5th.

It surprises me how difficult it is to move a goaltender. So many teams with sub par goaltending like WSH, TB, EDM, CAL etc.. yet they just don't want to pay the price to acquire one. I mean we couldn't move Luongo for close to 2 seasons, and the Schneider trade - while I'm happy with Horvat - didn't yield as significant return as expected. It seems teams are relying upon free agency (of the few average goaltenders that actually become free agents) and drafting.

Giving up a roster players and youth for the guarantee of having fewer goals against should make some of the struggling teams cream their pants. But the end result is goaltenders can't be moved.

Tampa's goaltending has been pretty freakin' good actually.

Tampa's goaltending has been pretty freakin' good actually.

I wish Gillis took Yzerman's approach to filling a need?

He needed a goalie and didn't want to go UFA or premium shopping. So he traded for promising prospect Lindback. Lindback did not appear fully ready for prime time, so he traded for another promising prospect Bishop. Now they have both!

WE need to add to Kassian at power forward in the same way.

We need to start working on a PMD.

This sounds to me like Buffalo trying to drive up the price/fabricate demand.

They're probably having trouble trading him by the deadline. Surprise Surprise! I haven't been able to wrap my head around all the rumours about that .. how often does a starting goalie soon to be a UFA get traded to a contender at the deadline? You would need to pray for the perfect storm of a top contender losing both their goalies to injuries in late February.

He'll walk and sign during free agency this summer methinks.

He needed a goalie and didn't want to go UFA or premium shopping. So he traded for promising prospect Lindback. Lindback did not appear fully ready for prime time, so he traded for another promising prospect Bishop. Now they have both!

Lindback... at most is a backup at the NHL level IMO.... just can't get his game together.

But TB has so much goaltending depth they don't have to worry about it.

They have that guy in the KHL and then the Latvia goalie who made 55 saves is also property of the TB. So yea.. good drafting gives you too much to trade away sometimes.... and time to overcook prospects in the AHL.

This sounds to me like Buffalo trying to drive up the price/fabricate demand.

They're probably having trouble trading him by the deadline. Surprise Surprise! I haven't been able to wrap my head around all the rumours about that .. how often does a starting goalie soon to be a UFA get traded to a contender at the deadline? You would need to pray for the perfect storm of a top contender losing both their goalies to injuries in late February.

He'll walk and sign during free agency this summer methinks.

That is the first thought that came to my mind too.

I could see St. Louis offering Halak and a 1st though. Halak has broken down right at the playoffs two years in a row, and Elliot - although being a near-perfect back-up - doesn't seem to be able to carry the load full-time.

Just as it was hard for us to get the value we wanted for our goalie, it's easier for teams to trade for a goalie from someone else without paying too much. The same is not true for power forwards and puck moving defencemen, where the half decent ones are held in some regard so if someone wants to trade one it's easier to get value back, but harder for other teams to acquire so easily.

John Vogl@BuffNewsVogl 39m

Sabres GM Tim Murray on goalie Ryan Miller: "Our goal right now, I think on both sides, is to pursue a proper trade."

John Vogl@BuffNewsVogl 44m

Tim Murray on re-signing Miller: "It’s not the route that we’re looking at right now. The route we’re looking at is to get value for him."

John Vogl@BuffNewsVogl 1h

Sabres GM Tim Murray says Ryan Miller's first choice probably isn't to stay in Buffalo and more than two teams have inquired about goalie.

John Vogl@BuffNewsVogl 37m

Tim Murray: "If teams would give me two real good young players that are two years or so into their development, that would be outstanding"

John Vogl@BuffNewsVogl 16m

Sabres GM Tim Murray says he will not have contract talks with any of his UFAs (Miller, Moulson, Ott, Tallinder) before the trade deadline.

Do you know who Ben Hutton is brah?

13-13-26 in 30 games as a sophomore d man in the NCAA is pretty damn good. Being 6'3" and 205 doesn't hurt either.

Archived