The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

At what point do you sit Booth out for the remainder of the season?

vcrguy

Let's say the trade deadline comes and goes and we can't unload Booth and his contract. How soon after that do you think the Canucks sit him out for the remainder of the year, for fear he could get hurt and long enough to negate their ability to do a compliance buyout this summer?

I remember the Montreal Canadians sent someone home from training camp a year or two ago because they were going to buy him out and didn't want him getting hurt.

Do you think the Canucks would consider this and if so, how soon after the trading deadline would you do it?

If the Canucks lose three of the four next games then sit him. No point in playing him if there's no chance at the playoffs. Especially since it should be a 100% chance he gets bought out (spend 1.5 million more and actually get a productive top 6 player (Vrbata/Moulson as examples)).

Let's say the trade deadline comes and goes and we can't unload Booth and his contract. How soon after that do you think the Canucks sit him out for the remainder of the year, for fear he could get hurt and long enough to negate their ability to do a compliance buyout this summer?

I remember the Montreal Canadians sent someone home from training camp a year or two ago because they were going to buy him out and didn't want him getting hurt.

Do you think the Canucks would consider this and if so, how soon after the trading deadline would you do it?

That was Gomez and the league gave Montreal permission to buy him out early. The same happened with the Rangers and Redden.

I see your point. I honestly don't think they'll be any takers for Booth unless the Canucks are wiling to take back a similar contract. One of the best deals I can think of is Booth for Ruutu. That's a win/win for both teams.

Vancouver gets the better player but Carolina is better off cap wise because Booth's contract expires one year sooner. If Gillis can't find a deal like that by the deadline then maybe it is time to sit Booth and minimize the risk of him getting hurt and unable to be bought out.

Booth on many nights has been the best canuck. He is overpaid but not even close to being the worst example. I doubt Van will buy him out because next year the cap is going up and he's got one contract year left which means he's got something to play for. Added to all of this is that not nucks are not legit contenders so moving or dumping Booth is the least of our troubles. What is more this team still has too many injuries and Booth is a better option then most minor league choices

That was Gomez and the league gave Montreal permission to buy him out early. The same happened with the Rangers and Redden.

I see your point. I honestly don't think they'll be any takers for Booth unless the Canucks are wiling to take back a similar contract. One of the best deals I can think of is Booth for Ruutu. That's a win/win for both teams.

Vancouver gets the better player but Carolina is better off cap wise because Booth's contract expires one year sooner. If Gillis can't find a deal like that by the deadline then maybe it is time to sit Booth and minimize the risk of him getting hurt and unable to be bought out.

Ruutu sucks as bad as Booth and has a worse contract. No thanks

At what point should we hold Danny and Burr accountable for not leading the team when they get such prime minutes and salaries? Honestly if Booth's salary wasn't so high or if he scored some more he would be worth the money. However, don't think he's the only one underachieving. Far from it this year.

Booth isn't much of a problem right now. We are falling hard, cap should be less of an issue if we aren't prepared to truly fight back. He is constantly coming off injuries, but since coming here, none of them have been of the permanent variety. He very well could be a pretty decent player if he had a real offseason. He was quite good early as a Canuck, and last year before the Detroit game injury. Very far from some of the anchor contracts around the leauge, many of which come from successful teams. Seriously, what we would even do if he magically disappeared?? Not what would you do, but what would Gillis do? anyone see any kind of realistic scenario where we bring in anything better?? Yea...no.

Start worrying about Daniel Sedin...

Booth on many nights has been the best canuck. He is overpaid but not even close to being the worst example. I doubt Van will buy him out because next year the cap is going up and he's got one contract year left which means he's got something to play for. Added to all of this is that not nucks are not legit contenders so moving or dumping Booth is the least of our troubles. What is more this team still has too many injuries and Booth is a better option then most minor league choices

Couldn't disagree more.

Canucks would of bought him out this summer if it wasn't for the injury. He has not been the best player except one game and most games has been detrimental to offense. He posses puck and kills chances. I would much rather have one of our utica kids up.

With his cap cleared we have the possibility of picking up a top 6 ufa or trade and resigning our players.

At what point should we hold Danny and Burr accountable for not leading the team when they get such prime minutes and salaries? Honestly if Booth's salary wasn't so high or if he scored some more he would be worth the money. However, don't think he's the only one underachieving. Far from it this year.

Well said.

I don't think Booth will sit at any point because of fear he will get injured. There is no guarantee there will be a compliance buyout and it's feasible that if there is no trade before the deadline or in the summer, that he will be put on waivers and play in the AHL or get picked up for the remaining year...by Calgary. I think Gillis would have bought him out last year if he could have, but for the single year left on his contract he may go on waivers.

Considering he has no value as trade bait, he could be depth if for some reason we could make a run.

Let the games begin.

Booth accounts for the highest percentage of his linemate's offense and he has been noticeably the most dangerous player on the ice the last few games. He isn't close to earning his contract but there are so many other issues with this team.

He is 3rd amongst forwards in hits so at least he is playing physical. Hansen has 2 more points in 6 more games played while averaging close to 2 minutes per game more. Also Hansen has played mostly with Higgins who has been our most consistent and productive 5 on 5 forward. In fact, he has 30% more ESP than anyone else on the team.

Booth has played with Kassian and Richardson, two guys who at some points last season one step away from being sent down to the minors (Richardson was a healthy scratch for 40 games, Kassian had 1 goal over 33 games).

Don't even need to get into Burrows.

So while Booth has sucked for his contract, he is putting up third line numbers playing with third/fourth liners over third line minutes on a team that can't score.

Burrows has two even strength assists and 0 goals playing 1st/2nd line minutes with the team's top players. He is 5th amongst forwards in SH TOI/G.

Burrows has been on the ice for 22 GA and 15GF. He has contributed to 13% of his line's GF. Booth has been on the ice for 18GA and 18GF. He has contributed to 67% of his line's GF. Hansen: 24 GF, 28 GA, contributed to 58%.

While I don't mind Richardson, he is a fourth line player with horrible corsi numbers. It is hard to expect a player to come back after horrible injuries and put up 2nd numbers playing limited numbers with fourth line players.

Burrows on the other hand has both the minutes and the linemates and has done squat.

Kassian has actually been pretty good this year. His overall numbers don't look great but he has the second best goal scoring productivity on the team behind Higgins (and Schroeder but too small of a sample size!). His point productivity is also within Sedin range and higher than Keslers - despite playing with offensive deadweight Brad Richardson.

I agree we should hold both of them accountable as well. But over the years they've been far more reliable than Booth. I still think we should hold their feet to the fire a bit, but out of those three, I'd gladly move forward with two of them; but not Booth.

Archived