The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Bruins may use Malcolm Subban as trade chip

Don't think Bieksa waives for Boston. What about Edler for Eriksson+Subban?

There is almost zero chance Eriksson moves. He's finally healthy and fitting in well with the Bruins. I would hate to see Subban go, would rather see them keep him for next year's back up. He's been solid. Bieksa would fit in well with the Bruins blueline, not sure who they give up though. I don't know if Edler would be a good fit, but a trade between Boston and Vancouver could be really interesting.

I am not sold on Meszaros for Boston either. I trust Chiarelli to make a good deal. I can't see MacDonald from the Islanders going to Boston considering his high salary demands and that the Islanders apparently want a first round draft pick for him. Short on top flight prospects, I hope they don't trade another first rounder, especially for another rental.

Johnson looks good enough to push Rask. Malcolm Subban might not have as much worth on the open market as one might think, considering Martin Jones is more experienced and IMO a better up and coming goaltender.

I could really see the Flames acquiring Jones from LA. Jones knows that ice like the back of his hand. Flames can send Cammalleri back there along with whatever else they can give up (rights to Jankowski ? :bigblush: )

Im merely assuming Bieksa waives....but maybe Edler doesnt.....

Anywhooooo....adding Subban to our stable would be a great thing

We have Eddie "Lights Out" Lack in our system to take over for Lu. Why do we need Subban? Lack has better NHL numbers than Subban has AHL numbers this year...

Let's not go all crazy for brother tandems just because we have the Sedins and the worst Subban brother in our system.

So has the Eddie Lack hype died down? I for one love this guy and we don't need another goalie we need someone who can score. We don't need to jump on every "available" player.

I think the main reason some of us want Malcolm is that Eriksson and Cannata are our only goalie prospects.

We have Eddie "Lights Out" Lack in our system to take over for Lu. Why do we need Subban? Lack has better NHL numbers than Subban has AHL numbers this year...

Let's not go all crazy for brother tandems just because we have the Sedins and the worst Subban brother in our system.

well my whole thinking is this....

I never once said Malcolm was ready for the show anytime soon, but....

When Lou is eventually traded/bought out, etc...and Backin' Lack is our #1, either Subban or Ericsson will be the next darling back-up.

Back on track.....Subban would be a great pick up. Havinga fine rookie season in the "A". Dang...that Belleville team got decimated after Gaunce, Subban, Sandlak, et others graduated.

Subban and Ericsson would be sick depth in net.

Bieksa=Subban,+?

I would be seriously pissed off if we gave up Bieksa for a back up goalie.

With Boston needing a dman to replace Dennis Seidenberg (injured for the season), would The Islanders make due with Andrew Macdonald? Cheap rental player salary wise since he only garners 550K.

Islanders have tried goaltenders left and right. Nabakov isn't getting younger, Poulin, Nillson haven't look like they would be the future for the Isles...maybe Subban might be the new bright spot for the future.

I see that as a great fit for both teams IMO.

From an outsiders perspective this.

It makes very much sense as MacDonald is very likely to be traded and NYI need a goalie for the future. Perfect trade partners

I never got why they drafted Malcolm Subban in the first place. They had a 25 year old superstar goalie in their system. They could have had a number of players to make their prospect pool better right now. Of course they are looking at trading him now...

I never got why they drafted Malcolm Subban in the first place. They had a 25 year old superstar goalie in their system. They could have had a number of players to make their prospect pool better right now. Of course they are looking at trading him now...

Because they thought he was the best player available and you always take that guy regardless of your team.

As it is, he's an excellent trading chip now or into the future after apprenticing as a back-up for a couple of years.

They aren't forced to trade him now, they are dangling him to see what they could get.

Imagine if he was a prime piece in a deal for both MacDonald and Vanek for another B's playoff push… they'd be scary again. I don't think the Isles will get that 1st just for MacDonald but this might be the easiest way to package up to get what they need.

Because they thought he was the best player available and you always take that guy regardless of your team.

As it is, he's an excellent trading chip now or into the future after apprenticing as a back-up for a couple of years.

They aren't forced to trade him now, they are dangling him to see what they could get.

Imagine if he was a prime piece in a deal for both MacDonald and Vanek for another B's playoff push… they'd be scary again. I don't think the Isles will get that 1st just for MacDonald but this might be the easiest way to package up to get what they need.

I 100% agree that you draft the best player available but that doesn't apply to goalies. Yes Subban might work for the Islanders because they have an organizational need for a goalie but more teams would be interested in players like Jordan Schmaltz, Brendan Gaunce, Henrik Samuelsson, Brady Skjei or Stefan Matteau. Unless a team has an organizational need for a goalie they aren't going to want Subban whereas teams always have need for forwards or defenders. If the Canucks at this draft picked a goalie in the first round, even if he was the best player available at the time I would be pissed.

Taking into consideration Boston needs a defenceman and Kesler needs a winger...

Edler for Eriksson, Subban and maybe a conditional pick?

Eriksson is good, when he's healthy. So never. He's softer than butter. Delusional.

Could a three-way trade that would see the Subbans land in Vancouver be possible? To outline it Kesler+Eriksson+1st or 2nd to Montreal, Subbans to Vancouver, Edler+ to Boston? I know it looks like Boston gets the short end of the stick but I'm not sure who the + should be.

Eriksson is good, when he's healthy. So never. He's softer than butter. Delusional.

Archived