The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nhl and the injury problems more research into better protection

canuktravella

So we all know hockey is a fast sport and in last few yrs the technology has made it ever faster

5 percent of players still use wood sticks the faster shots they get off with the composites are injuring players every few games look at burrows tanev kesler all hit with pucks this yr out for long term which might cost us a playoff spot cant they develop gloves, knee pads, skates with more kevlar or lightweight titanuim or some new material so that they dont break any more bones ??? to me it seems like the nhl has missed he boat on this why would you want 5 million dollar players constantly injured diluting your product on the ice. what do you all think

Well coaches and players don't have to sacrifice themselves to block every shot either. It's more of a function of how the game is played. Remember the time when McInnis or Iafrate were in a full wind up ready for a one time blast from the point? It was career suicide to block their shots. Now if you don't try to block it, you are glued to the bench.

Make their blades 5 or 10% wider(whatever it takes), to decrease their speed by about 10%. Everything would be relative, in terms of speedy vs slower players.

The concussions result from the combo of gradually increasing size & speed. Best to reduce one factor.

Also the rock hard equipment and boards/glass with zero give so all of the energy of a collision goes into the player. In the old rinks when you hit someone you could see the glass ripple halfway around the rink and the boards moved several inches, absorbing a lot of the energy, the equipment was padding not armour so the energy was absorbed to some extent by the equipment, also the player delivering the hit felt it to so he wouldn't try to kill the opponent because he would kill himself as well (consider how much more violent the collisions are in football than in rugby or even aussie rules football) the superman effect.

mmm they can develop more comfortable protection how about putting in metal instead of plastic on shin pads and on iceskates that woulld solve broken feet and tibias from shots

Metal? Way too heavy, the players would hate it. I bet it would do a lot of damage when you hit someone too. Might as well put chain mail on them and replace their hockey sticks with lances.

Carbon Fibre rather than metal or Kevlar like the cut resistant socks perhaps?

CF is really expensive. I think it was Bauer kitted out Pat Kane and a few others with fully CFRP equipment. Each pair was worth a million or so. Too many complex shapes that take a lot of skill and steps to lay the fibres over each other for the desired strength.

Kevlar is good for cut-proofing but doesn't do that much on its own when it comes to blunt impacts (like a puck, stick or body check).

Each has specialized uses but they're already being implemented.

Ya rivets. Your a tool im just saying theres been an increase in speed to the game im not sure why nhl isnt investing more in their products well being.

Someone defended you and you come back with literally a post as dumb as Rusty Rivets. You know, I agree with what you're saying, but call me a tool anonymously from behind a computer and I call you a coward. Why not just stick the topic and leave the insults to those with people who can't contribute the topics at hand.

Metal? Way too heavy, the players would hate it. I bet it would do a lot of damage when you hit someone too. Might as well put chain mail on them and replace their hockey sticks with lances.

Medieval hockey, I like it. Aluminum is quite light, but I agree that the damage from metal pads would be far too great. How bout less padding altogether so it hurts to deliver hard checks. IMO, we need to seriously increase the level of protection to the head, that is the biggest threat to player safety.

Make their blades 5 or 10% wider(whatever it takes), to decrease their speed by about 10%. Everything would be relative, in terms of speedy vs slower players.

The concussions result from the combo of gradually increasing size & speed. Best to reduce one factor.

Also the rock hard equipment and boards/glass with zero give so all of the energy of a collision goes into the player. In the old rinks when you hit someone you could see the glass ripple halfway around the rink and the boards moved several inches, absorbing a lot of the energy, the equipment was padding not armour so the energy was absorbed to some extent by the equipment, also the player delivering the hit felt it to so he wouldn't try to kill the opponent because he would kill himself as well (consider how much more violent the collisions are in football than in rugby or even aussie rules football) the superman effect.

I like a combination of these ideas. Bigger ice and boards with more give would really help reduce injuries, but the NHL would never shell out the cash to renovate all the rinks. So I think regulating the type of material used in shoulder pads, and slower skates would have a similar effect without being impossible to implement.

Shot-blocking is a whole nother animal though, and I think players are on the right track by using skate guards and other utility items. But aside from taking shot-blocking out of the game you can't really prevent those injuries without putting players in full plate armour.

Archived