The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Goalie factory now?

icycold

Possibly! Thing is one of the best ever signings wasn't a player but a coach, Roland Melanson (Rollie the Goalie) by Gillis. Since his arrival he has helped Luongo out of his old style of *fish flopper style*

Corey schneider, from a sub par goalie in the minors when he was signed into a excellent positional NHL goalie who will be in the game for quite awhile and still has his best days ahead of him.

Eddie lack into much the same and is showing more and more promise with each game played, and is pretty much turning into a fan favorite these days.

Next will be Joachim Erikson along with Joe Cannata...

I don't know about you but i'm fairly happy this once goalie graveyard (with the exceptions of Kirk Mclean and Richard Brodeur) has turned into somewhat of a goalie factory now. Thanks Roland melanson and Gillis for hiring him.

post-67616-0-32972400-1393493741_thumb.j

post-67616-0-95880800-1393494113_thumb.j

post-67616-0-92373700-1393494247_thumb.j

Possibly! Thing is one of the best ever signings wasn't a player but a coach, Roland Melanson (Rollie the Goalie) by Gillis. Since his arrival he has helped Luongo out of his old style of *fish flopper style*

Corey schneider, from a sub par goalie in the minors when he was signed into a excellent positional NHL goalie who will be in the game for quite awhile and still has his best days ahead of him.

Eddie lack into much the same and is showing more and more promise with each game played, and is pretty much turning into a fan favorite these days.

Next will be Joachim Erikson along with Joe Cannata...

I don't know about you but i'm fairly happy this once goalie graveyard (with the exceptions of Kirk Mclean and Richard Brodeur) has turned into somewhat of a goalie factory now. Thanks Roland melanson and Gillis for hiring him.

Rollie the goalie didn't make magic. All those goalies you mentioned already were talented. Luongo was a superb goalie before coming to Vancouver and was a nominee for Vezina before the trade. Schneider was a highly touted goalie which we took in the 1st round at 26th overall. Lack was a skilled goalie and an underrated signing by Gillis, so the credit would go to Gillis for finding that kind of goaltending talent. There is no coach that could take a subpar goalie and turn him into a Vezina nominee. Rollie might've helped in polishing some of the goaltending techniques but you need talent to get this far.

I wouldn't say Luongo has gotten better. Schneider was never horrible in the minors. Lack was always good but had one not so good year with an injury. Laugh all you want but Pouria is right, they were very talented to begin with and our goalie coach at best polished their game and helped them succeed. They all improved in the big leagues, which is common, you develop your game further in the big leagues, but correlations doesn't imply causation.

can i laugh now? Loungo's game has improved a lot, Scnheider in the minors was horrible for a cpl of yrs and lack's game was simply ok... You might want to check stats before you say things

Horrible? C'mon. Making me laugh now. He had a 2.28 GAA and a .916 Percentage in his first year of pro hockey. Second year? 2.04 GAA and a .928 percentage. You're a moron.

I think people came up with (another) catch phrase but don't buy into those. Goaltender's reactions to bad plays and breakdowns can mean they either falter/fail or battle through and,yes, they're put under the spotlight at times in a stand alone deal. It isn't unique to Vancouver...look how Price has been treated in Montreal in the past...but he's got a thick outer "I don't care" shell it seems.

People hang onto things for too long..."goalie controversy, goalie graveyard". Meh. I don't feed those beasts because it's not good for the team to do so and the media often fuels those fires.

Goaltenders are like any other player in the regard that they have good/bad showings, they get moved and at times they're unhappy. I do think it helps when you keep players in place who can help mentor the young ones coming up. As much as coaching comes into play, the roles of veterans like Lu also likely makes it an easier transition for the guys stepping up who can use him as a leaning post.

Brian Burke coined the phrase goalie graveyard and it wasn't that we couldn't make a goalie a good player here, but rather that the fans were always so hard on them. Melanson is not the sole reason we've suddenly had three, it was because we traded for one of the best goalies in the game, drafted a future star, and picked another out of free agency.

can i laugh now? Loungo's game has improved a lot, Scnheider in the minors was horrible for a cpl of yrs and lack's game was simply ok... You might want to check stats before you say things

How can you call yourself a Canuck fan when you clearly have no clue about the minor league career of Cory Schneider and then be so arrogant to tell someone to "check the stats"..? Well here are the AHL stats for Schneider over the "horrible couple of years" that you say he had.

84-45-5

.922 SV %

2.27 GAA

12 SO

You're either the biggest troll or most clueless Canuck fan on here.

Check yourself.

The ironing is delicious

Schneider .919 and .928 in the A with the Moose.

Lack .925 and .926.

Studs well before cracking the Canucks roster.

Rollie's likely had a beneficial impact on our netminders, but I think you're taking a lot away from the players. Luongo, Lack, and Schneider are talented goalies, and were before Rollie was ever in the picture. It takes genuine talent to get as far as these guys have.

Archived