The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Who doesn't like a good 3 way?

Bored at work today and I have a couple of 3 ways deals I've been pondering, Wondering what other people think?

Canucks start off with a blockbuster 3 way

To WPG: Hansen, Van 1st, Edler, Schenn

To VAN: Kane

To PHI: Buf, van 2nd

Vancouver - loses 1st, 2nd, Edler and Hansen but gain a young dynamic winger. If your going to get a player like Kane out of WPG you will have to signifacantly over pay. We give up a lot of draft picks but the players we get in return are young, and we'd be happy if they ever turned into a Kane or O'Rielly

Jets - Lose Kane and Byfuglien, two big pecies. Edler helps replace Byf and Schenn gets WPG the young #1 center they need. A 1-2 punch of Schenn/Scheifele to look forward to in the future. They also get some grit and an addition 1st round pick likely to be in the 12-20 range. Hard to say no to if your the jets.

Flyers - have been looking at the cost of Byfuglien for some time (according to sources) they have Couturier, Giroux, Lecaviler, down the middle so they have some depth to give up.

Then with all the Kesler talk, canucks trade Kesler to the Av's for O'Rielly (RFA) and a 2nd.

Then Schreoder (RFA) and a 3rd to Buffalo for Ott (UFA)

Canucks new top 9 looks like:

Sedin-Sedin- Burrows

Kassian -O'Rielly - Kane

Booth - Ott - Higgins

Obvisouly this would never happen as deals like this don't happen over night and dead line is 7 days away, Just a thought of how we could keep this team competative and get younger at the same time.

That's far too much for us to be giving up to get Kane. If that's their asking price, I'd pass.

Jets would win this trade easily.

I think people overvalue pick on this site overvalue draft picks. Realistically what is the reality that either the 1st pick (12-20th) or 2nd, turn out to become the player that Kane already is. Hey it could happen, but the picks could also turn out to be busts. The best senerious I can give as an example is look at every draft since 2003. If you could revalue where each player is picked besides the top 5, how likely is the 6th overall picked player the 6th best player in that year? Same with the 7th. And 8th. So on and so on. It doesn’t happen, the draft is such a crapshoot, unless you’re a top 5 pick, you don’t know what you’re getting. Gaunce was picked in the first round and he’s projected to be a 3rd liner, Schroeder, Jensen, were also first rounder’s and haven’t developed to, yes these players still have a lot left to prove but are still seen as unknowns and may never turn out and likely will never become the type of player Kane is. Kane is already a sure thing and is only 22, the risk is low. From a business perspective your trading high risk potential, for a low risk sure thing, and he’s young and locked up long term. There is little down side from a Vancouver perspective, what are people scared about losing. Hansen the deal breaker??

If Gillis wanted a Player (top 6) Pick, Prospect, for Luongo in a shorten season and a terrible goalie market. Then Kane at 22 is going to get at least that plus more, especially when goal scoring is at a premium these days.

Think about it from the jets perspective. What do they have in Kane, a young 22 year old PF who is locked long term. Kane is a game breaker type player. They aren’t just going to want a bunch of role players, they will want the prospect of getting back that game breaking players. When Calgary traded Dion, they traded a game break ( I guess if you want to consider him that) for a bunch of role players. Who’s left, 1 player out of that trade remains on the flames, while the leafs have their captain. If Jets came to us with the deal we could probably get it done with a simple Edler for Kane, but were pursuing them, so that ups Kane’s value. Again what do the Canucks got to lose in making this deal.

I think people overvalue pick on this site overvalue draft picks. Realistically what is the reality that either the 1st pick (12-20th) or 2nd, turn out to become the player that Kane already is. Hey it could happen, but the picks could also turn out to be busts. The best senerious I can give as an example is look at every draft since 2003. If you could revalue where each player is picked besides the top 5, how likely is the 6th overall picked player the 6th best player in that year? Same with the 7th. And 8th. So on and so on. It doesn’t happen, the draft is such a crapshoot, unless you’re a top 5 pick, you don’t know what you’re getting. Gaunce was picked in the first round and he’s projected to be a 3rd liner, Schroeder, Jensen, were also first rounder’s and haven’t developed to, yes these players still have a lot left to prove but are still seen as unknowns and may never turn out and likely will never become the type of player Kane is. Kane is already a sure thing and is only 22, the risk is low. From a business perspective your trading high risk potential, for a low risk sure thing, and he’s young and locked up long term. There is little down side from a Vancouver perspective, what are people scared about losing. Hansen the deal breaker??

If Gillis wanted a Player (top 6) Pick, Prospect, for Luongo in a shorten season and a terrible goalie market. Then Kane at 22 is going to get at least that plus more, especially when goal scoring is at a premium these days.

Think about it from the jets perspective. What do they have in Kane, a young 22 year old PF who is locked long term. Kane is a game breaker type player. They aren’t just going to want a bunch of role players, they will want the prospect of getting back that game breaking players. When Calgary traded Dion, they traded a game break ( I guess if you want to consider him that) for a bunch of role players. Who’s left, 1 player out of that trade remains on the flames, while the leafs have their captain. If Jets came to us with the deal we could probably get it done with a simple Edler for Kane, but were pursuing them, so that ups Kane’s value. Again what do the Canucks got to lose in making this deal.

I don't mind trading some picks away, but trading a 1st and 2nd is a bad idea IMO. I'd rather keep one of those to help our prospect pool.

Jesus, the jets get away with absolute robbery.

How so? They do lose a game breaking corner stone player in Kane, and their top D, If the 1st round pick doesn't turn out then would you still say they get away with robbery? I'm not trying to say my opinion is right and everyone else is wrong just, if you think so explain, and try to back it up with suppporting evidence.

I don't mind trading some picks away, but trading a 1st and 2nd is a bad idea IMO. I'd rather keep one of those to help our prospect pool.

I do agree thats why I included a 2nd coming back from Colorado, but I also think that Gillis has been a great GM for picking out and signing that kind of talent away from the draft. Tanev, Lack, Santo, and even Stanton, Eriksson, Fox all could be considered at 2nd or 3rd round picks. If Gillis can keep finding ways to aquire these types of young assets i'm not conserned with adding those picks to be part of a deal if they are needed to get the job done.

I do agree thats why I included a 2nd coming back from Colorado, but I also think that Gillis has been a great GM for picking out and signing that kind of talent away from the draft. Tanev, Lack, Santo, and even Stanton, Eriksson, Fox all could be considered at 2nd or 3rd round picks. If Gillis can keep finding ways to aquire these types of young assets i'm not conserned with adding those picks to be part of a deal if they are needed to get the job done.

If we got a 2nd round pick in another trade first then that would be a little better since we would for sure have a pick in that round, but I still don't think it's fair value for us. I don't really take MG's signings into account since it doesn't change the value of our picks IMO.

So...

Edler, Hansen, 1st and 2nd for Kane.

:sick:

And that was my reaction before even seeing we move more than one pick. Kane is not worth that much.

Yep only way WPG even entertains the idea. You have to remember, we'd be pursuing him, not the jets looking to get rid of him. They hold all the power and because of this we over pay.

Yet apparently all it'd take to get Byfuglien out of Winnipeg is Schenn? :blink:

:sick:

And that was my reaction before even seeing we move more than one pick. Kane is not worth that much.

Yet apparently all it'd take to get Byfuglien out of Winnipeg is Schenn? :blink:

Honestly, sure we give up a lot but why not. Everyone values draft picks so high, they all have these hopes that each of our picks is going to be the next Ryan Kesler. Kane is young and proven, if we get Kane, he would be in our line up for years to come, it’s don’t make sense for having a pool of prospects that will have a hard time cracking the roster. The cupboards can only get so full. If Edmonton ends up set to pick another smallish skilled offensive forward where is he going to fit in the oils line up. They’d likely (would be smart) to trade down or trade the pick away for a current team need. Canucks need to get younger/bigger/ and add some goal scoring. Kane fits that bill.

What we give up canucks have the capability to move without damaging our current roster or significantly hurting our future.

Was a top 10 goalie in the NHL a lot to give up for a draft pick? YES.

Would we have traded Schneider if we didn’t have Luongo? No, because we did we had the capability to move him while still remaining stable in the net. Just like Edler, Hansen, and those two draft picks.

Just say the canucks end up with the 16th overall pick this year. We give up (according to mock drafts) Barbashev (16th) and Hawryluk (46th). Now for all I know these two players could be the steals of the draft or there is even a stronger possibility that they will never become the impact player that Kane already is. And even if they do become NHL regulars chances our isn’t not for another 2-4 years. So basically your giving up two unknowns, a third liner and a top 4 D

Basically, Schroeder, Rodin, Hansen, Edler for a young center piece of your franchise for years to come.

-Is it overpaying? Sure it is, but know way Kane is moved without significantly over paying,

-Does it affect that canucks negatively? Not really, we move a D who we have an abundance of, a third liner and a couple of picks that won’t have an impact on our team for 2-4 years. In 2-4 years Kane will still be in our line up lighting it up.

-It’s not like were giving up our 1st round pick up for the next 5 years, we’d still be able to draft young talent in 2015, 2016…

- Is Hansen going to be with this team in 2-4 years? Is Edler?

In 2- 4 years we’d still have “young” a lineup of:

Kassian O’Rielly Kane

Jensen Horvat Shinkaruk

Fox Gaunce Santo

And that’s saying if we don’t make any other trades/new draft picks or free agent pickups. Don’t see what everyone is so up in arms about. Looks like a pretty solid line up to me.

Archived