The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quebec Store Ordered To Change Facebook Page to French

DonLever

Non. The maritimes and Newfoundland have different relationships with Quebec. The west, or at least the folks here in BC seem to think that Quebec, as a whole, is some socially backwards place that Canada should do without. Those same folks have no qualms with French Canadian athletes competing under Team Canada.

I'm calling people out on this forum. It's long-standing racist attitudes of a people and a culture we know very little beyond sports. It's these attitudes that make us overreact on stories like this.

Because they give us gold medals and the Dufour-Lapointe sisters.

I didn't mean to shoot the messenger this time around, and when I say you're stirring the pot, I just think you're bringing these attitudes up to the surface. You definitely have tendencies on the kinds of news articles you post, but so do the rest of us. I'm sorry if I personally offended you, in this instance at least. You have opinions and you do well to defend them, even though I think you're wrong a lot. But the others who make stupid comments about Quebec are ignorant and have a poor concept of Canadian culture as a whole.

Just because you post a thread talking about a "controversial issue" doesn't necessarily mean that it's stirring the pot.

Non. The maritimes and Newfoundland have different relationships with Quebec. The west, or at least the folks here in BC seem to think that Quebec, as a whole, is some socially backwards place that Canada should do without. Those same folks have no qualms with French Canadian athletes competing under Team Canada.

I'm calling people out on this forum. It's long-standing racist attitudes of a people and a culture we know very little beyond sports. It's these attitudes that make us overreact on stories like this.

The argument that this region produces athletes, and therefore can do whatever they want in terms of quashing people's rights is absurd.

Just because you post a thread talking about a "controversial issue" doesn't necessarily mean that it's stirring the pot.

DonLever posts a lot of news topics on this forum. You can tell by his posts as well as his news articles where his political views lie, roughly. Same thing for J.R. and key2thecup. Maybe "stirring the pot" isn't the right term, but what I'm trying to say is that this article is going to reiterate the racist attitudes and misconceptions about Quebec. Posting the article here simply helps me see who's stupid enough to comment on something they know nothing about.

The argument that this region produces athletes, and therefore can do whatever they want in terms of quashing people's rights is absurd.

The PQ is worthy of intense criticism from within and without. Their attempts at implementing Bill 101 is doomed to failure to start off with, so the fact they are trying to implement it with stunts like this is... pathetic. On top of that, both French and English folks aren't taking the PQ's side on this matter. That store is getting a lot of love and about to get a lot of business.

Most people get that, and they're harping on the party for avoiding the bigger, ongoing problems in Quebec. Idiots here seem to think that there is something wrong with the province, the people and its culture. Rick Mercer blames Stephen Harper and the Conservatives for a lot of things, but can you imagine how stupid he would sound if he blamed Canada and the people instead?

I don't know I mean french is THEIR language so if its the language of the province they should have to put it in all their signs and Facebook is no different. I don't get the outrage, are people that upset about french?

French is OUR language, and so is English. That's our constitution. The problem is, if other provinces demand people's websites to be English only and not French, there will be an outrage by the francophone.

DonLever posts a lot of news topics on this forum. You can tell by his posts as well as his news articles where his political views lie, roughly. Same thing for J.R. and key2thecup. Maybe "stirring the pot" isn't the right term, but what I'm trying to say is that this article is going to reiterate the racist attitudes and misconceptions about Quebec. Posting the article here simply helps me see who's stupid enough to comment on something they know nothing about.

The last 4 topics I posted are:1. Ai WeiWei $1 Million Vase broken 2. Ukraine President Removed 3. Man wants $227,000 Engagement back 4. Piers Morgan Fired from CNN. These are NOT political posts. I post topics that are from mainstream media as seen on major TV networks like CTV, CBC, CNN. How can you tell my political position from such posts. I often also post death notices of actors/celebrities. You could hardly call them political posts or getting a political view from a dead actor.

The PQ is worthy of intense criticism from within and without. Their attempts at implementing Bill 101 is doomed to failure to start off with, so the fact they are trying to implement it with stunts like this is... pathetic. On top of that, both French and English folks aren't taking the PQ's side on this matter. That store is getting a lot of love and about to get a lot of business.

Most people get that, and they're harping on the party for avoiding the bigger, ongoing problems in Quebec. Idiots here seem to think that there is something wrong with the province, the people and its culture. Rick Mercer blames Stephen Harper and the Conservatives for a lot of things, but can you imagine how stupid he would sound if he blamed Canada and the people instead?

I get what you're saying but those "attitudes" were already held by people beforehand. Even if the article wasn't posted, it's not like people would stop believing in a certain idea.

Let's be honest - people are judgmental to some degree or another.

If someone posted a thread "Asian driver causes auto accident", I'm sure you could argue that the thread is intended to incite 'online hooliganism' rather than report on the story itself. There's a guaranteed "asian driver' joke somewhere and people are just immature when they read it. But the views don't go away. Do you know what I mean?

I suggest you get down from the high horse you're riding on before proceeding any further.

Archived