The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks e-mail glitch fools 1500 little league kids into thinking they were going to the Heritage Classic

Miss Korea Bob.Loblaw

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/canucks-email-dashes-hopes-of-thousands-of-youngsters-1.2553175

Canucks' email dashes hopes of thousands of youngsters

300 minor-league teams mistakenly told they'd won tickets to Sunday's Heritage Classic

An email glitch in the front office of the Vancouver Canucks has left thousands of B.C. minor league hockey players thoroughly disappointed, including the Abbotsford Jets, a squad of eight-year-olds from the Fraser Valley.

Members of the Abbotsford Minor Hockey League team thought they would be going to the Heritage Classic at BC Place on Sunday, but the tickets team members thought they had won turned out to be nothing but a computer error.

The congratulatory email they received was the result of an email glitch. A total of 1,100 teams were emailed about the contest and 300 teams replied. All those teams, about 3,000 hockey players according to the Canucks, were told they had won.

Father and Abbotsford coach Anthony Bucci first received an email from the Canucks offering a chance to win tickets for his young squad. He quickly responded and then received another email congratulating him on winning tickets.

Canucks spokesman Chris Brumwell said instead of getting a standard "thank you for entering" email, the teams all got emails saying they had won.

Bucci said he followed up twice wondering where he could pick up his tickets, only to be told the Canucks wouldn't be able to provide them.

Looking up to Canucks

"[The players] were really happy to go and excited and jumping up and down. And then I had to tell them that, 'Hey, we're not going now. They took the tickets away,'" said Bucci.

"They're eight years old, future hockey players, and they look up to the Canucks. Now they don't get to go and participate in probably what's going to be a once-in-a-lifetime game."

Player Jayden Bucci said he is disappointed and would like the Canucks to give his team tickets to another game to make up for the error.

"I'm disappointed too," said player Brenden Smallenberg."I was excited to go, but now I can't," he said.

"I was hoping to go and now we're not going to go to the game. I was hoping to see the Ottawa Senators against the Canucks."

Brumwell said it was all just an unfortunate mistake.

"It didn't roll out properly," he said. "We are trying to put our heads together, and we'll hopefully be able to get back to those teams that didn't win tickets [with] some good news about something that will get the kids excited again."

On Wednesday, the Jets got yet another email offering another contest for NHL tickets.

Anthony Bucci said he is not only confused, but looking for an apology from the Canucks.

Trying to 'make good'

Thursday, Brumwell said the Canucks wanted to make it up to the roughly 150 teams of youngsters who were let down by the false email.

The teams have been invited to a special Canucks practice March 22 and will be given tickets to a game next season.

"We ultimately want to make good with the kids, bring them to a Canucks practice and give them an experience they'll be really excited about," said Brumwell.

He could not give the date of which Canucks game specifically the teams would be invited to.

Bucci said he still hasn't heard from the franchise personally, but he is grateful for the gesture of good will.

"It's good they're going to help us out," he said.

"Unfortunately it's next season, and my team's going to get split up by then."

The teams have been invited to a special Canucks practice March 22 and will be given tickets to a game next season.

"Unfortunately it's next season, and my team's going to get split up by then." :sadno:

Well they could always just offer up tickets to the next playoff game. The way Gillis is running things, the kids will be old enough to buy overpriced beer by then.

I worked for the Calgary Flames. Beer is overpriced so you do not drink too many and drive home drunk.

Well they could always just offer up tickets to the next playoff game. The way Gillis is running things, the kids will be old enough to buy overpriced beer by then.

It's a computer glitch I imagine the Canucks are embarrassed over it. You sound like a guy that needs a soother, go buy a Leafs jersy.

I worked for the Calgary Flames. Beer is overpriced so you do not drink too many and drive home drunk.

And the pizza is overpriced so you don't drive home overfed?

And the pop is overpriced so you don't drive home with a sugar buzz?

And the tickets are overpriced to protect you from inadvertently being exposed to the current state of the Calgary Flames?

What a nimrod organization. Aren't there tonnes of tickets left? Get em nosebleeds for crying out loud.

Screwing regular people over for this gargabe product is one thing but messing with kids?

Get it together Canucks. I am embarrassed to be a Canuck right now.

Yeah this is embarrassing for the Canucks but not just because of the obvious.

Once upon a time, there was a thing called quality control, and once upon a time (in general) customers didn't buy garbage. In this day and age with developers scrambling over each other to produce the most unqualified useless crap that is also unfinished, you can expect this kind of thing to happen more and more. The hard part is deciding who is responsible, but it's exactly the same thing, negligence. People have grown a thick skin in dealing with stupid electronics and software that fails to do the one thing it was designed to do properly, so when you burst a bubble like this it's some kind of insult.

Negligence by the developer, or negligence by a receptionist it doesn't matter when you just offered up to 80,000 dollars worth of 'free product'. Roll someone's head because as a developer, constantly expected to be held to the highest of possible standards, while local businesses refuse to pay market rates, while they go ahead and hire on the cheap and cut as many corners as possible then this is your result, and it's so unfair.

The person responsible is probably getting paid twice what some of us would for doing the same thing and would try to screw in a lightbulb by spinning the room around and holding the bulb. It's just another brick in the wall of carelessness humanity is building, faster and faster..

What a nimrod organization. Aren't there tonnes of tickets left? Get em nosebleeds for crying out loud.

Screwing regular people over for this gargabe product is one thing but messing with kids?

Get it together Canucks. I am embarrassed to be a Canuck right now.

They're not messing with kids it was a mistake.

Jesus christ the cynicism on this site is off the chart.

They're not messing with kids it was a mistake.

Jesus christ the cynicism on this site is off the chart.

I came in here to say exactly this. It wasn't some malevolent scheme to dash the hopes of kids everywhere, it was a mistake. Unfortunate, but nothing more.

When I think of the kids, I see temporary dissapointment and a life lesson learned. People are too touchy when it comes to children.

Edit: Formatting

Someone is getting fired.

And I'm not sure I buy the 'computer glitch' reason. I think it was probably office staff who Control X'd the wrong thing.

My guess was they put an inexperienced person in charge of something they either didn't understand fully or didn't take the time/ attention to detail to do properly before pressing 'Send.'

Archived