The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

World loses up to third of produced food, World Bank says

key2thecup

‘Shameful’: World loses up to third of produced food, World Bank says

food.si.jpg

The world loses a staggering one-quarter to one-third of all food produced for human consumption, according to the World Bank’s quarterly Food Price Watch report, with the developed world leading the wastage.

The world is losing 25 to 33 percent of the food it produces – nearly 4 billion metric tons - according to estimates from the World Bank, the Food and Agriculture Association (FAO) and the World Resources Institute.

In regions suffering from malnourishment, such as Africa and South East Asia, this translates as 400 to 500 calories per person per day and in the developed world up to 1,520 calories.

Cereals were highlighted as representing more than half food lost or wasted at 53 percent by calorie content, but by weight fruits and vegetables represent the largest share of global food loss at 44 percent.

Most of the wastage takes place at the consumption stage (35 percent), followed by production and handling and storage (both 24 percent).

“The amount of food wasted and lost globally is shameful,” Jim Yong Kim, the president of the World Bank, said in a statement.

“Millions of people around the world go to bed hungry every night, and yet millions of tons of food end up in trash cans or spoiled on the way to market. We have to tackle this problem in every country in order to improve food security and to end poverty,” Kim added.

africa-poor.jpg

The report also found a substantial difference between the amount of food lost in developed and developing countries and across regions. 56 percent of food loss takes place in the developed world and only 44 percent in developing countries.

In North America, some 61 percent of food losses are in the consumption stage, for example food, which has been bought and then rots in refrigerators. In the US and the UK and average family of four wastes between $1,600 and $1,100 a year in food they buy but do not consume.

The authors blamed the policies of large supermarkets, which encourage overbuying by consumers as well as overproduction of some foods for sale.

In contrast, sub Saharan Africa lost just 5 percent of food at the consumption stage but vast amounts were lost during production and processing.

For example, the large amounts of water used to irrigate rice or roast coffee were deemed wasteful, especially if the end product is lost before it reaches the consumer.

The study found that there were large variations across countries. Although in the short term, pressures in food prices are expected to weaken, weather conditions in Argentina, Australia and China, as well as higher oil prices, mean that food production will need constant monitoring.

The World Bank also set out how it intends to boost agriculture and agriculture-related investment; commitments in 2013 amounted to $8.1 billion.

Potential solutions to limit the amount of food wasted include changing agricultural production techniques and making suitable investments in transport and storage infrastructure as well as changing commercial and consumer behavior in developed countries.

http://rt.com/news/world-food-waste-lose-068/

Old news. We don't have a food supply problem, we have a food distribution problem.

Which should make you all the more wary of GMO crops.

I have seen this first hand when I worked crappy part time jobs back in high school. I worked at the Wal-Mart produce dept. for almost a year, until i left for University. They would literally throw edible fruits/veggies that would be acceptable for the food bank or homeless shelter. I remember having to throw that crap in the dumpster on a daily basis... Very wasteful. Food distribution is an issue.

PS: First cute picture I have seen of Putin...

Old news. We don't have a food supply problem, we have a food distribution problem.

Yup.

Literally piles of food rotting on the side of the road in Northern India because it can't get to market in the south and the markets are full in the north.

"We're going to feed the world"

Translation:

"We're going to pad our profits. Screw the world."

Lol they fooled no one. If anything they made the world more hungry by suing farmers to bankruptcy and driving (what's the estimate now, 125,000+ farmers?) to commit suicide. I guess if enough people kill themselves, there will be more food for the rest of us.

But I digress, and I agree with J.R., we have a distribution problem.

But I thought Monsanto had solved world hunger crisis with gmo crops?

Wait, you mean they don't give their gmo crops away for free? :rolleyes:

It's funny that you take on this attitude. When companies try to bring in GM crops to developing nations, environmentalists come into those nations and scare off the leadership into thinking they're bringing some type of plague. Hard to solve world hunger when you have paranoid and delusional enviro-nuts from first world nations (people who are well fed already) going into the undeveloped world and stopping others from eating due to their political agenda. Of course, this type of PETA logic should be no surprise from the left. People like Norman Borlaug saved roughly a billion lives using the same technology as GM crops, only for these leftist nuts to call it frankenfood and interfere with the work people like him did to feed the poor in developing nations. Any first world person that goes into third world countries and tries to start a panic like that causing the starvation of more people should kindly end themselves for the benefit of humanity.

corruption is the cause of hunger. these african nations are run by thugs. you could send them all the food in the world and the warlords would hoard it and let everyone starve.

I agree. Responsible government needs to take place or else we are wasting our time. They basically hoard all the aid or flip for a profit.

It's funny that you take on this attitude. When companies try to bring in GM crops to developing nations, environmentalists come into those nations and scare off the leadership into thinking they're bringing some type of plague. Hard to solve world hunger when you have paranoid and delusional enviro-nuts from first world nations (people who are well fed already) going into the undeveloped world and stopping others from eating due to their political agenda. Of course, this type of PETA logic should be no surprise from the left. People like Norman Borlaug saved roughly a billion lives using the same technology as GM crops, only for these leftist nuts to call it frankenfood and interfere with the work people like him did to feed the poor in developing nations. Any first world person that goes into third world countries and tries to start a panic like that causing the starvation of more people should kindly end themselves for the benefit of humanity.

...Seriously? Your defending GMOs & Monsanto? lol

I totally agree that it is not a shortage problem. We make enough food to feed the world a few times over, the main problem is apathy. People do not care where it comes from or how it is made. Why would they care if it goes to waste ?

I was taught to eat what was put in front of me. Not load up my plate and throw half of it away. Over the years I have been disgusted by people and how wasteful we really are.

We have allowed the world to be GMO'ed and neatly packaged for our consumption. We are now stuck with the consequences of allowing such atrocities to continue and have been brainwashed into believing the world is starving. When in fact we are poisoning ourselves at an exponential level, with the garbage piling up around us so fast that we don't even know where to begin.

...Seriously? Your defending GMOs & Monsanto? lol

There is broad scientific consensus that food on the market derived from GM crops poses no greater risk to human health than conventional food. The current GMO fears are not based on anything tangible. Willful ignorance about best describes it.

I worked for Save on foods off and on for about 2 years. Working a lot in produce, I saw first hand how much vegetables and fruits are thrown out every hour. The amount of grapes we would throw out because of 4 or 5 bad ones in a package was disturbing. I actually got in trouble one time from one of my managers because I was taking out the bad ones and combining bags to save the fruits. This was the same for all fruits. Don't even get me started on meats and bread....

Archived