The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Russia invading the Ukraine. Approves military use.

Dittohead

The Crimean peninsula has always been strategically important, especially so for Russia. That's where the focus will be along with Kiev and Odessa. It'll be interesting to see if they'll go as far as Lviv which could alarm the rest of Europe.

This is a little mind boggling because of the sheer scope of sending military into a country as large as Ukraine.

This isn't Chechnya, or even Georgia which is big enough, this is one of the largest countries on the planet.

There securing the base in Crimea, that's as far as any Russian military incursion will go. Yushchenko has come out of hiding, approving the Russian movement, hes still the legally elected president.

Haha, Obama saying don't go into another country and flex your military muscle... comical. He doesn't want them to because the rest of the world will see how a super power should look.

So your problem with the USA is that they are not superpowery enough?

So your problem with the USA is that they are not superpowery enough?

They are not a super power at all. They are like an annoying little lap dog that barks and barks and gets their asses kicked.Sticking their nose in eeveryone's business.

Russia will show them how to go into another country and handle business.

They are not a super power at all. They are like an annoying little lap dog that barks and barks and gets their asses kicked.Sticking their nose in eeveryone's business.

I take it you are a fan of what the Nazis did then. Putin is using the same justifications for military action that Hitler invented. IT's easy to sit back and cheer on the big dog when you're in Canada, you may see the world differently if you lived in a state adjacent to the Soviet Union who, under Putin, has moved towards a new cold war.

The Olympics were just lipstick on a pig. What we are seeing now is the real Russia under Putin.

*is now wondering what the world would be like if every country was more like Russia*

What is Russia going to do that will show that?

The us has military bases all over the world and they'd take the exact same action that Russia is taking to protect all of them. Just more hypocrisy shown by the US, who tried to secure Syria and are now trying to secure the Ukraine as well.

I do not blame Putin for protecting his country's interests.

The us has military bases all over the world and they'd take the exact same action that Russia is taking to protect all of them. Just more hypocrisy shown by the US, who tried to secure Syria and are now trying to secure the Ukraine as well.

I do not blame Putin for protecting his country's interests.

What? Why would he need authorization to invade the entire country if their interest is purely in protecting a military base? and why would they need to send in 15000 extra troops to do so even when the base hasn't been threatened at all and the area surrounding the base is mostly pro russian?

What a bias title. Russia has naval base in Crimea which is predominately Russian area. More than half of the residents are Russian. Also lets not forget what Ukraine is doing now either. They are basically threatening to re-arm themselves with nukes again. Both sides are wrong...

For those that are saying they would invade are completely blind. They are acting within agreements and international law.. This isn't like Georgia at all. The Georgians were stacking their military along the border as an act of aggression.

Also the region is semi-autonomous meaning they are basically independent and are seeking full independence because they have nothing in common with Ukraine. The area is filled with Russian Nationalists, and Crimson Tartars. Its kinda like whats occurring in Canada with Quebec, except Quebec hasn't reached semi-autonmous status yet.. Both areas have a majority ethnic population that is different than the rest of the country i.e (French Canadians)

Hmm a dictator looking to add land from nations with nearly identical ethnic backgrounds and close historic ties

Nope haven't heard of this happening before :rolleyes:

I agree they are basically fighting their own relatives lol. Really silly. Kinda like Pakistan and India fighting each other

Haha, Obama saying don't go into another country and flex your military muscle... comical. He doesn't want them to because the rest of the world will see how a super power should look.

He doesn't want them to because he wants the US to do it.

Now we have potentially three nuclear problems. Iran, North Korea, and potentially Ukraine. Ukraine is considering assembling a dirty bomb within 3-6 months..

I don't see Iran being a nuclear problem, especially after that nuclear deal couple of months ago. North Korea is the one country that can be unpredictable and who knows about Ukraine. I really doubt any of these countries will ever use Nuclear weapons unless they want their whole country to be flattened.

I don't see Iran being a nuclear problem, especially after that nuclear deal couple of months ago. North Korea is the one country that can be unpredictable and who knows about Ukraine. I really doubt any of these countries will ever use Nuclear weapons unless they want their whole country to be flattened.

I agree, but the threat should still be taken seriously. It seem like every step forward the US/EU/Nato take they go like 3 steps back.

I agree, but the threat should still be taken seriously. It seem like every step forward the US/EU/Nato take they go like 3 steps back.

If any of those countries were serious in using a nuclear weapon, they would've already done so. They clearly know what the consequences will be if they use a nuclear weapon. They really don't want another Hiroshima.

Archived