The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why I like Tom Sestito

Snake Doctor

I have liked him since he got here never got on the waive tito bandwagon he is far from worst player in the league and I would even keep him in the line up over some of our core players right now actually almost all of them....

If he could work on acceleration he would no longer be considered just an enforcer. As it is now, the only real knock to his game is he is often behind the play while transitioning to the D-zone. Dude's got hands.

Sedin Sedin Sestito.

I've been crying for it all season. What is the worst that can happen... they'll not score?

Sestito parks in front of the net, draws a D-man to him. Creates traffic in front while making time and space for the Sedins to move around. The traffic caused by Sestito by nature will cause the weak side winger to collapse in to try and help his D move the big lunk from the goalie's face, leaving the Canuck D-man open on that side. Shots with traffic DO translate to goals- In the event of a rebound, you should have a tank in front who CAN bang in biscuits, or a Sedin closeby if the rebound gets kicked back to that side.

Sestito's lack of speed matches with the Sedin's lack of speed, so it's far from a weakness. Plus, nobody will speedbag anybody with Big Tom out there.

After watching Tom Sestito in the heritage classic yesterday and also the last few games, I have come to really like what he brings to the table. This guy now reminds me a liitle of Gino Odjick, and that's what this team needs right now. He did not back down last night and was a beast on the ice. We need another Gino Odjick and hopefully Tom will deliver this brand of hockey to our team.

I was watching the game at the bar and one of the patrons was irrate about putting Sestito on the ice when the Canucks were down by one goal. First of all he has more goals than Burrows, Schroeder, and the same ammount of goals as Booth. He has put up better numbers in the last few games than than the guys expected to deliver points every game.

I have a good feeling that Tom Sestito will improve his game to another level in the next 19 games and bring some grit and secondary scoring that this team needs.

Way to go Tom, keep up the great work.

:rolleyes:

Hold it lets not get carried away here. I agree with you in most part but Gino was one nasty piece of work. not saying that Sestito isn't tough, he's just no Gino.

Plus, what's not to love about a hockey hobo? Raises our game right there.

:lol:

In junior he had 42 goals and 22 assists in 60 games one year.

I think a lot of talented guys get pigeon-holed at an early age just because they are the big guy on the team. Then it becomes a matter of playing the goon role the coach wants, or you don't play. Not saying he was some kind of potential Rick Nash, but he's got a lot of stifled talent just waiting to come out if he ever gets the ice time to show it. Too bad Torts is such a 2 line coach.

One problem: he's a lousy fighter. He's also a defensive liability (-8) even with limited minutes. I'm betting that if he fights Neil he gets tuned up. We could do far better sez I...

He's better defensively than other fourth liners the Canucks have had over the years (Volpatti, Hordichuk, etc.) as he can actually clear the puck out of the zone safely instead of panicking.

He already beat Neil and didn't get "tuned up," in fact hockeyfightsdotcom has him winning that match.

He's not the greatest fighter but still manages to hold his own against Orr, McGrattan, Reaves etc.

Archived