The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do you trust MG to make a good Kesler trade?

grandmaster

Let me have a say about his so called failures.

1) Edler > Erhoff, Erhoff has not been the same since 2011

2) Have you seen Kassian play? He's got tremendous upside the past month and a bit hes been one of our best players. Hodgson is a one trick pony. (All offensive). He's soft and wanted to be traded. Buffalo fans aren't very big on Hodgson.

3) Schneider was much more appealing to keep than Lou. Gillis fault was holding on to Lou for too long.

4) AV had to go, was time for a change.

1) Edler has been horrendous this season and a terrible minus player

2) Kassian keeps getting tons of opportunities and still sucks. He takes stupid penalties and is invisible most games

3) there was no chance to trade Lui, it always was Schneider and MG blew his chance when Schneider's value was higher

4) what proof do you need that it's the mix of players not the coach? MG never addressed that and look at the Canucks now, even worse than last year

Agree.

After reading all the mock Kesler trade proposals in the many Kesler trade threads, I have a feeling people are gonna be in for a shocker when they see what we actually get in return.

I think the Pens trade rumour of Sutter, 2 picks in 2014, and the Canucks pick of Dumoulin and Despres is good return for Ryan Kesler. The only issue I have with the deal is Sutter. By no means a plug player, but the Canucks are looking for goals and Sutter may be able to fill the defensive void left by Kesler, he is not a top end talent, and the trade doesn't really offer any future scoring unless the Canucks can turn the picks in to something. There is also the dread of knowing whichever D man the Canucks don't pick will somehow end up being the stud.

The only bad trades that Gillis has made are the Booth and Ballard trades. We didn't really give up much for those two players, but they didn't play up to expectations, and they have/had bad contracts. Other than that, Gillis really hasn't been that bad at trading.

Let's look at his trades so far.

He traded Patrick White and Daniel Rahimi for Christian Ehrhoff and Brad Lukowich. He didn't re-sign Ehrhoff, but that is still a big win. That was an excellent trade.

He traded a 3rd round pick in 2010 for Andrew Alberts. Alberts has played over 100 games for us, and he has been a decent 7th defenseman. The 3rd round pick might have been a bit much, but it wasn't a bad trade.

He traded Steve Bernier, Michael Grabner, and a 1st round pick for Ballard and Oreskovich. This was obviously a bad trade, but really all we gave up was a 1st rounder for Ballard. Grabner wouldn't have made the Canucks. He even admitted that he wasn't motivated until he was waived.

He traded Even Oberg and a 3rd round pick for Chris Higgins. I would count that as a big win considering how well Higgins has played for us.

He traded Joel Perrault and a 3rd for Lapierre and Macgregor Sharp. I would also count this as a win. He didn't re-sign Lapierre, but he was a great 3rd/4th line centre for us.

Samuelsson and Sturm for Booth was also a bad trade. Gillis took a risk on Booth and it didn't work out. We didn't really lose anybody, but we are stuck with a bad contract.

Connauton and a 2nd for Roy was also a bad trade due to Roy not playing up to expectations here.

Hodgson for Kassian was a good trade in my opinion. Hodgson wanted out and we got a young power forward who could turn into a great player. Kassian started off slowly, but recently he has been showing us that he really can be a dominant force on the ice. The timing of the trade might not have been great, but so far it isn't a bad trade. It's still a little too early to tell though.

Schneider for Horvat was also a good trade in my opinion. We got the 9th overall pick in a very deep draft. Some people think we could have gotten more, but would you have really liked to see Schneider in a place like Edmonton where we would have to play him a bunch of times during the season, and potentially in the playoffs one day? It's too early to really judge the trade though since Horvat hasn't played a game in the NHL and Schneider still isn't playing full time as a number one goalie.

I left out a few minor trades that consisted of minor players, but I think I have all the big trades up there. Overall, Gillis hasn't been too bad. He had those two big mistakes with Ballard and Booth were we ended up with bad contracts, and we gave up a bit too much for Roy considering what we got for him, but most of his trades range from decent to excellent. And it's far too early to tell if the the trades like Schneider for Horvat and Hodgson for Kassian were wins or not.

So, yes I have confidence that Gillis will get us a good return for Kesler.

seriously where is the proof that Schneider has a higher trade value a year before he got traded

Schneider's trade value was at an all time high the day he was traded and if anyone that complains about the trade has ever paid any attention to previous goalie trades of similar value they would know the Canucks got fair value not only that every team knew a goalie had to be moved and Gillis still got a top 10 pick in a deep draft

I think the Pens trade rumour of Sutter, 2 picks in 2014, and the Canucks pick of Dumoulin and Despres is good return for Ryan Kesler. The only issue I have with the deal is Sutter. By no means a plug player, but the Canucks are looking for goals and Sutter may be able to fill the defensive void left by Kesler, he is not a top end talent, and the trade doesn't really offer any future scoring unless the Canucks can turn the picks in to something. There is also the dread of knowing whichever D man the Canucks don't pick will somehow end up being the stud.

Yeah, if they don't pick up someone who at least has the potential to become a first or second line forward, we could see some dark days ahead. We need offense from somewhere. Brandon Sutter is not bad, but there's a good chance we already know what his ceiling is. Kesler affords us a rare opportunity to acquire someone who could evolve into a core player for the team.

seriously where is the proof that Schneider has a higher trade value a year before he got traded

Schneider's trade value was at an all time high the day he was traded and if anyone that complains about the trade has ever paid any attention to previous goalie trades of similar value they would know the Canucks got fair value not only that every team knew a goalie had to be moved and Gillis still got a top 10 pick in a deep draft

The whole world knew that MG was forced into it. How do you forget the circus that went on here?

Not at all Gillis sucks. Edler or Garrison should never have been signed. Biggest mistake to date.

Garrison is not a mistake. He has made some defensive gaffs, but he is producing offensive on a team that has none. You really should re-evaluate the Garrison hate, at 4.6 he is a steal of a deal. Edler at 5 is also decent, it's not his fault people are expecting a Norris candidate from a solid #3 guy.

1. Gillis has never sold a player - he's always been in the "buyer" position.

2. More often than not, his ability to identify undervalued players has been great - Ehrhoff, Higgins, Malhotra, Lapierre, Santorelli, Stanton, Weise, etc.

3. Kassian just turned 23, and looks like he'll only get better.

The whole world knew that MG was forced into it. How do you forget the circus that went on here?

It doesn't change the fact that there was a glut of goalies available and the value of trading goalies is low. I'm not going to defend Gillis' overall performance, but that trade does not concern me, all things considered, Horvat should be a player.

Doesn't anybody else here find it odd that so many posters will believe some random sports writer's article (who we know will grab hold of any rumor like a stray dog on a chicken bone to break a story regardless of source) over the player himself?

“Completely false,” Kesler said.

Kesler met with the reporters after the Canucks’ noon-hour practice at Rogers Arena. Asked if he was happy to be a Canuck, Kesler said: “Yes, I am happy. I love my teammates, love the city. My son was born here, grew up here.”

Later, he said: “I am a Canuck and I am happy to be here.”

Kesler insisted neither he nor his agent has approached the Canucks about a trade. He also said the Canucks have not asked him if he would consider a trade. Kesler has a no-trade clause in his $5-million a year contract that has two more years remaining.

A Twitter posting by Louis Jean of TVA Sports in Montreal late Wednesday said Kesler had asked the team to explore a possible trade at the start of this season. There were also reports from the recent Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia, suggesting Kesler had been overheard saying he wanted out of Vancouver.

“False, hashtag sochiproblems,” Kesler said with a smile. “No, I never commented to anybody that I wanted out. My heart is with this team and making the playoffs.”

Kesler would not say how he would react if the Canucks came to him to discuss a possible trade. “I don’t like to comment on what-ifs,” he said. “They haven’t and I don’t even want to think about that.”

But hey, keep making more threads about trading the guy. Ignore what Kesler said. Ignore Gillis saying he won't ask players to waive their ntc. Just keep moving along in your little ea fantasy land.

Doesn't anybody else here find it odd that so many posters will believe some random sports writer's article (who we know will grab hold of any rumor like a stray dog on a chicken bone to break a story regardless of source) over the player himself?

But hey, keep making more threads about trading the guy. Ignore what Kesler said. Ignore Gillis saying he won't ask players to waive their ntc. Just keep moving along in your little ea fantasy land.

You are so gullible, what do you expect him to say to the media? If he said he wanted out, we would get less on the trade and he would look like a fool if we weren't able to make it

You are so gullible, what do you expect him to say to the media? If he said he wanted out, we would get less on the trade and he would look like a fool if we weren't able to make it

Why would Kesler care what the return would be if he wanted out?

He might say, I'm not commenting on this anymore. He might say, I have no control over this, it's in Mike Gillis' hands. He probably wouldn't say, "No, I never commented to anybody that I wanted out." if he indeed wanted out. It would make no sense to say that, unless it was true. Does that mean he won't be traded? No, it doesn't. It seems you are either disinterested in debating or disliking the answers to your question. If you don't want different POV's then why start a thread asking a question?

3) trading Schnieder for a pick when he could have got way more when his value was higher one year previous

How was his value higher as a backup than it was after showing he can be a starter?

We couldn't take any real cap hit back on the deal whether it was Lou or Schneider moved. Two significant cap hits had to go just to make it under the new cap. Booth couldn't be bought out because he was injured. Ballard was bought out and the second one was either Lou or Schneider getting moved. I saw a top 10 pick in that draft as pretty valuable.

He may not have asked for a trade but the option is definitely being explored or gillis would have come out and said no we are not trading Ryan Kesler. This is a MAJOR distraction to the team and if a deal wasn't actively being pursued, gillis would have put the rumors to rest.

In Reply to the OP, yes I do, we are in a massive position of strength here. There's not another player even close to kesler avaliable right now. People are going to cry bloody murder anyways no matter what we get back.

Gillis made the right call on erhoff, he wanted too much money and what's he done since? Not a lot.

Hodgson the 35 point first line centre? I'll take Kassian and keep watching him progress into a top power forward.

Archived