The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Are the Sedins untouchable?

The obvious answer would be a no because they're the faces of the franchise, do lots of charity work and got drafted by the nucks. But if the right offer comes along and they're both going to the same team, do you think managment would jump at it?

I hope if we got the right offer that we would trade them because they're out of their prime, getting old, losing trade value and if we're going to rebuild, there's no reason to keep them besides mentoring the young guns which others who wont get traded could do.

As history has taught us, nobody is untradable. Not even Gretzky. Iggy got traded last season too so you never know...

Thoughts?

i think its important to have players that play the right way that the young kids can learn from in a retool/build. The sedins are a perfect example of that, their work ethic is exemplary they are humble hard working guys.

I think that is some of the problem edmonton is having with their young kids they have no one to take direction from and have horrible work ethics without the puck now as a direct result.

Look at calgary they have good veteran leadership & coaching and their young kids are playing hard 200ft hockey to the best of their ability.

Are the sedins untouchable? id say no, but if they are moved you have to make sure you have the right mix of character leaders in the dressing room to instill the work ethic and teamplay into the young kids.

You know what its too late to trade them they are too far gone downhill to get a good return for them and I think teams would be interested but no until they are healthy...aka next year. And by next year they are becoming worthless... I would have traded them last year at the deadline but Gillis is too attached and Im sorry they are both unable to carry a team anymore and thats that.

i think that when they signed their last contract, they were promised they would finish their careers in vancouver....

i believe when they get totally healthy, they will lead this team again....

Just curious, when will that be?

And what will they lead this team to?

i think its important to have players that play the right way that the young kids can learn from in a retool/build. The sedins are a perfect example of that, their work ethic is exemplary they are humble hard working guys.

That is the responsibility of whatever coaches young players have throughout their formative years.

I think that is some of the problem edmonton is having with their young kids they have no one to take direction from and have horrible work ethics without the puck now as a direct result.

Ryan Smyth? Andrew Ference? Edmonton's issue is that they have a Swiss cheese defence

Look at calgary they have good veteran leadership & coaching and their young kids are playing hard 200ft hockey to the best of their ability.

Still in the Western conference basement. Hartley is a bum.

Are the sedins untouchable? id say no, but if they are moved you have to make sure you have the right mix of character leaders in the dressing room to instill the work ethic and teamplay into the young kids.

That once again is the coaches job. While I have supported Tortorella, I'm beginning to think he may be in need of a visit to Riverview to "work the kinks out". Veterans lead by example on the ice and in practice. Would you say Daniel led by example whislt Henrik was away? Do you want the young kids to learn how to coast?

What team would they waive their NMCs for that could take on $14M in cap hit (since they're both going together)? It's highly unlikely they're moved just because a deal that would work for us and make the rest fit is nearly impossible.

If their play continues along these lines and they don't feel they can help the team, they'll retire before the end of their contracts in my opinion. They could then go back and play in Sweden for a little longer before retiring from playing hockey altogether.

Just curious, when will that be?

And what will they lead this team to?

4 years...and to a winning season....they haven't forgot how to play in a few months.....i think dan's concussion awhile ago and henrik's and burs injuries have slowed them....i look to next year for them to get their game back.....

My head hurts when I see comments about no one wanting the Sedins. I think I've seen it all.

7 million dollars each, on a cold streak, near the end of their careers, injury problems lately, have lost their ability to take charge of a game. Not many teams are going to risk their future for them.

4 years...and to a winning season....they haven't forgot how to play in a few months.....i think dan's concussion awhile ago and henrik's and burs injuries have slowed them....i look to next year for them to get their game back.....

So they'll be healthy in four years? Perfect timing. I guess that brings new meaning to retiring comfortably.

Archived