The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Time to reduce charity work?

Me_

So I go on CDC to watch the latest videos and lo and behold, there is only one video. Quite the piece too. A cupcake, save the dogs of the world event where Tortorella is attending and will match all donations the staff comes up with. Now this isn't a Canucks Place type community involvement. I also don't have anything against stray dogs without homes.

But for God's sakes.

How many charity events do the Canucks need to be involved in? Every charity event day, is a day without a practice. And teams must practice. Tortorella and the Canucks organization came up with a genius plan to partake in seldom practices because of travel distances. That's all fine and dandy but good teams practice their game on off days. It's really that simple.

If the team isn't practicing, it cannot figure out their game. And so the Canucks are now on the outside looking in, not practicing their powerplay which stands at a wonderful 27th in the league, Burrows hasn't scored this season and Henrik neither in 20 games.

But there they are, wearing ugly sweaters on ugly sweater day, looking silly and fast becoming the laughing stock of the league.

But those cupcakes are pretty good so I do understand why the coach would be petting stray homeless dogs and eating cupcakes instead of practicing a team's game that sorely needs a kick in the ass and fast.

In terms of travel as an excuse for the lack of practice days; give it a break. Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Los Angeles, Anaheim, San Jose, Dallas, Colorado, Minnesota all have ridiculous distances to travel every year. What makes Vancouver so special whereby practice days are deemed not as important as "rest"?

Cupcakes.

yeah i totally agree, with our travel there is no reason to be CONSTANTLY doing these charity events. Our players need rest, they need some time to play PS4 and watch a tv marathon and unwind instead of constantly playing hockey and being out in the community being exposed to germs all the time.

I know the teams are mandated to have a certain amount of days off with the new CBA, not sure if that includes days like charity events etc.

Either way... In the grand scheme of things, making sick kids days a little better is more important than doing skating drills.

Ummm.....practice only takes 2-3 hours of their day, usually in the morning. They have the rest of the day off to do leisurely stuff. Some players stay back and watch videos. While others just hang around in the clubhouse or go back home.

Just because they do a charity event doesn't mean they aren't practicing the same day. 16 hours is enough time to do both twice over. CDC while whine about anything no matter how stupid or how little they know about subject.

Anyone to even have this thought run through their head is a selfish little crap. Obviously you have never had anything terrible happen to you or your family before. My dad died of cancer when I was 19 years old and helping other people in similar situations is one of the only thing that helps. These players are blessed with fortune and an easy job and the ability to make peoples and animals lives better. You're a sick narsasistic piece of crap. Tells a lot about you. Your entertainment is more important to you than the well being of others. Your parents did a fine job.

So I go on CDC to watch the latest videos and lo and behold, there is only one video. Quite the piece too. A cupcake, save the dogs of the world event where Tortorella is attending and will match all donations the staff comes up with. Now this isn't a Canucks Place type community involvement. I also don't have anything against stray dogs without homes.

But for God's sakes.

How many charity events do the Canucks need to be involved in? Every charity event day, is a day without a practice. And teams must practice. Tortorella and the Canucks organization came up with a genius plan to partake in seldom practices because of travel distances. That's all fine and dandy but good teams practice their game on off days. It's really that simple.

If the team isn't practicing, it cannot figure out their game. And so the Canucks are now on the outside looking in, not practicing their powerplay which stands at a wonderful 27th in the league, Burrows hasn't scored this season and Henrik neither in 20 games.

But there they are, wearing ugly sweaters on ugly sweater day, looking silly and fast becoming the laughing stock of the league.

But those cupcakes are pretty good so I do understand why the coach would be petting stray homeless dogs and eating cupcakes instead of practicing a team's game that sorely needs a kick in the ass and fast.

In terms of travel as an excuse for the lack of practice days; give it a break. Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Los Angeles, Anaheim, San Jose, Dallas, Colorado, Minnesota all have ridiculous distances to travel every year. What makes Vancouver so special whereby practice days are deemed not as important as "rest"?

Cupcakes.

We talkin' 'bout practice?

So do you agree that you should just focus on going to work each day and putting all your focus there then? For you're a hypocrite if not...obviously, you're pulling the focus off your work and putting it elsewhere should you be involved in outside activities.

They can manage it and to even suggest this is anything BUT positive is really reaching for new content in my view. What can we complain about next?

Tortorella said he’s looking to foster a fifth dog in the near future, but for right now his focus is on the Canucks. “It’s been a very busy season for us, we haven’t been able to make the commitment we’ve wanted to, but that will come.”

There's an off season and these people have lives away from the rink. It's important to have time to leave it at the rink as part of the process in moving forward.

I just shake my head that anything negative can be said about this.

Being an NHL coach/player doesn't come with limitations of how you use the time away from the rink and all teams participate in charity events and helping the community. As well, these things can actually help bond a team and offer some unity that extends to the rink. The mental game is part of it too and if you feel connected to the guy sitting beside you on the bench you're more likely to go to bat for him.

Way to go, John! There is a special place for those who help animals. Having pets at home increases quality of life, it doesn't deteriorate it or jeopardize work ethic. LOL.

http://www.friendshipcircle.org/blog/2012/03/14/9-nhl-hockey-teams-supporting-children-with-special-needs/

Op you are a piece of work.( and not the quality kind) First off if you are going to start a thread like this, do a little research. The Canucks practise as much as they can. If you payed attention to the new CBA you would know that they changed the rules on days off. Second, you say the Canucks have equal travel to the California teams....... Do you mean the 3 teams within a bus ride of each other, not to mention the 4th team in " not so far away" Phoenix. You are obviously completely clueless like most of the other "crybaby" fans. You and Phillip Blunt should have a get together, he likes to cry in his beer too.

So when was the last time you did some charity work sir?!?

Archived