The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour]Jordan Staal on block?

Semin would go way before Staal.

Staal is getting paid 6 million a year with 8 more years left. He is on pace for 35 points this year in 79 games.

Semin is 7 million with 3 more years and is posting actual helpful numbers.

Other than Staal's brothers being in the organization I don't see why they wouldn't push him out the door.

dreger trying to knock kesler's value down?

I wouldn't doubt there's some Eastern media bias in there. Why on earth would Carolina split up the Staal brothers when they could try and move Semin or even Ruutu? They also have Cam Ward they could move that would shed cap.

Both Staals have NTCs so that's even more reason why Jordan wouldn't authorize a deal - unless maybe they both go as a pair. Ruutu has an NMC but Semin has nothing. The return would be less for Ruutu, who they've been rumoured to have shopped, but Semin would be attractive for a contender if someone can fit him in.

The only thing I can even think of that would make this plausible is that they're seeing the rumours for Kesler and would like to get in on the potential return, but even then at the expense of splitting up the Staal brothers it makes very little sense.

Other than Staal's brothers being in the organization I don't see why they wouldn't push him out the door.

That's a pretty big reason. They both have NTCs (not limited in any way as far as I know) and control their destiny. Staal might not be putting up great numbers, but that's another reason why he wouldn't get a similar return to Kesler who has been doing reasonably well and even good when you consider goal scoring.

Kesler is still and always has been a better player than Staal and I'm not even sure why a team like Pittsburgh or Philly would take Staal at his current contract over their respective young centers in Sutter or Schenn/Couturier.

There is no reason to believe that Jordan Staal would be the first name on the list when it comes to cutting wages. Cam Wards name has been circling around and I reckon he would be easier to deal and would make hell of a lot more sense to deal than splitting up the Staal brothers after acquiring Jordan for mainly that reason.

Semin or Ward would be moved before Jordan.

I call BS. Sounds like someone is trying to make MG lower his price on Kesler. Man I hope Kesler goes to Philly, anywhere but Pitts at least.

What better way for Shero to lower Vancouver's asking price than to call up Rutherford, "Hey Jeremy, remember when I did you a solid and sent you Erik's brother? I need you to leak a false report you're putting him on the block because Vancouver really is asking for the moon."

What better way for Shero to lower Vancouver's asking price than to call up Rutherford, "Hey Jeremy, remember when I did you a solid and sent you Erik's brother? I need you to leak a false report you're putting him on the block because Vancouver really is asking for the moon."

Or just Dreger hating on the Canucks because his poor cousin.

Archived