The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are the Canucks ok with Lack and Markstrom moving forward?

yes we can nucks

First off lets point out the day isn't over. Van could pick up a vet goalie. Why all this worry, it baffles me to worry about anything.

The day's over and no vet goalie. So the team got rid of two great goalies and end up with two unproven ones. Lack has been good, but it's way too early to say he'd be a solid starter. Just last season he was a third string goalie. He hasn't gone through the PROCESS of being a backup in the NHL yet. That was supposed to happen this season with him and Luongo. But the Canucks screwed that up. Markstrom has been with the Panthers since 2010 and hasn't caught fire yet.

But me worry?

Markstrom is either gonna be a dud or a stud. It's hard to determine how well he'll be with the defence that he had in Florida.

Florida has one of the worst defence in the league, even when Luongo was there, he had some stud defenseman that helped him out a little. Markstrom has Brian Campbell and Tom Gilbert.

Maybe a new goaltending coach will be good for Markstrom, Eddie Lack wasn't supposed to even be backup this year, and he's done phenomenal. That could be because our defence is tremendous and our goaltending coaches are great too. Maybe they can really develop Markstrom into the player the he was supposed to be. Schneider had high potential as well, but didn't really start being a backup until he was Markstrom's age. So this could either be a trade where we trade a superstar goalie on the latter half of his career, for a superstar goalie in the making. Or it could be a bust. Only time will tell.

Matthias is just whatever.

I think so. Markstrom is a phenomenal talent. A bit raw but this is a great situation for him.We also have GI Joacim in Utica who has played lights out since his crappy start (first dozen games or so).

Funny how our goaltending was the only area of this team that didn't need a shake up.

I am excited about Matthias too. Scored at 24 goal clip last year (over 82 games). Seems to step up when given top 6 minutes. Crappy numbers this year but has played low minutes mostly with linemates Barch and Hayes. Gives us some versatility being able to play the middle and on wing.

Markstrom is either gonna be a dud or a stud. It's hard to determine how well he'll be with the defence that he had in Florida.

Florida has one of the worst defence in the league, even when Luongo was there, he had some stud defenseman that helped him out a little. Markstrom has Brian Campbell and Tom Gilbert.

Yeah, studs who let him face an NHL record number of shots over an entire season.

Markstrom has untapped talent that's waiting to be developed and we have the goalie coach to do that. Lack developed really quickly and he was the backup for Markstrom In the Swedish elite league. The healthy competition will benefit both of them imo.

All in all I am excited to see Markstrom play behind an elite defense. Some people may scoff at that comment but we still do have an elite defense. Any one of Edler, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Garrison Tanev and to a lesser extent Stanton would give us a great return if on the market. We may not have a Keith or Weber or Chara but our defense is still top 10 in the league and contributing offensively (better than our forwards anyways).

That support in front could help mold Markstrom into the goalie he was born to be.

Obviously with such a small sample size from both goalies it is impossible to tell what the future will hold for Vancouver's goaltending situation.

Not that it matters at this point though, this version of the Canucks is now being dismantled and there will be no active gunning for the Cup in the next few years.

I would rather have gotten absolutely nothing for Luongo last year... even if we still ate 15% of his cap hit and still have Schneider now....

Lack Luongo Scheider

Shutouts 3 3 3

GAA 2.05 2.38 1.92

SV% .926 .917 .923

You can only play one goalie at a time.

If we traded lack before the season we would be looking at a 3rd round pick.

If we traded Luo last year we would have got a 3rd round pick.

Instead we got another big young goalie, a huge bonified 20 goal 3rd line center and a blue chip prospect, the best 2 way player in the draft with loads of character and a knack for scoring big goals when it counts.

Id rather have those 3 pieces and Lack (signed @1.15mil for the next 2 years)

than Schieder (@4mil for 1 year before UFA) and two 3rd round picks.

being a backup isn't the same as being a starter. i'm not very sure.

I wouldn't personally know, there was no backup goalie on my beer league team. You might want to ask lack about the difference. He was the starter for the moose and wolves the past 3 years producing the same kind of numbers.

It's the end of the Luongo era. Now we're left with two relatively unproven young goalies with a combined 69 NHL starts. Markstrom comes as a highly acclaimed prospect, though he has proven little in the time he's had in Florida. Lack has been impressive in the string of games he's played for the Canucks. The question is, can he sustain his solid play as the go-to guy over an entire season?

Personally, I'm nervous about the Canucks going forward with two such inexperienced goalies. I think the Canucks are probably looking to flip Markstrom in the near future in a trade package that brings us an experienced backup. Or maybe we'll get the experienced backup through another trade and keep Markstrom in the AHL for more seasoning. We'll probably keep Lack since he's proven himself to some degree with the Canucks, while Markstrom so far is all potential.

I would have gone after Brodeur or Thomas and get something else with Matthias from Florida. Low risk.

Yes.

Because if they don't work out, we can find another goalie.

If one works out, we have a new starting goalie.

If both work out, we have a new starting goalie and a huge asset going forward.

I don't see the problem here.

Goaltending is NOT something the Canucks need to worry about... scoring on the other hand.... well...

Agreed. Im comfortable with both even though they may Lack the experience. But scoring 1 goal/2 on a good day isn't going to help, and we can't expect the goalies to get a shut out every night to win us games...Sedins and Burrows start producing...

Getting paid millions and hasn't scored a goal? (Burr) I can do that! sign me up!

Considering we're not in a cup race ATM, absolutely! If we were I would prefer Lou.

Don't forget Eriksson? He has roughly the same CV as Lack, all the same scout-able assets as Lack and Markstrom, save size. It's entirely possible he may be the guy that surfaces from the pack.

Also, its important to note Markstrom lowers our cap spending by aprox $3.4 mill! Hell $6 mill plus compared to the Schneids / Lou tandem!!! Teams like Chicago turned a low goalie cap into depth and talent up front which won a cup 4 years ago.

3 young goalies, all very promising, is a great recipe for a developing team!

Lol. TSN polls are dumb.

Hard to forget Scrivens put up the all time record for saves in a shutout. Getting a (very good) depth goalie from Anaheim was a surprise? They must plan on re-signing Hillier?

While Markstrom has yet to find his place in the NHL and Lack was under the radar, prior to the Heritage Classic, behind Lou. And he was not great in that high profile game. Perhaps also partly (unfairly) blamed for Lou's departure?? Easy to see why public opinion would think Edmonton improved more.

I mean they got rid of Dubnyk!!! I would feel heavily encouraged if I was an Oiler fan.

Does not mean public will be right in the long run.

Archived