The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Official: Deadline Reactions

-SN-

I actually thought there was a plan to do a major asset purge and was looking forward to the team possibly getting a bunch of help to surround Horvat with.Now I have no clue,and with NTC I don't think management does either.

Ok what kind of assets are you talking about?

Not surprised that Kesler's still here.

From what's been reported, I'm not disappointed either. You can pretty much bank on the fact that the actual offers were not as high as what was rumoured. And personally, I didn't think the offers (as reported) were very strong. Certainly there was nothing that would have clearly improved this team (compared to them keeping Kesler).

And, like I've said repeatedly, I don't believe Kesler ever asked for a trade.

My worry is where his head is at now, following the recent events. If Kesler didn't want a trade, I wonder how he feels about how Gillis handled things? "No comment" on the trade demand rumours and then proceeds to test the market (and possibly against Kesler's intial wishes--and I see this as a real possibility). Also, the Lu trade sends a clear signal as to where this team's direction is headed. I'm not sure that being part of a Canucks "rebuild" or "retooling" is all that attractive to a guy who wants to win as much as Kes.

So if Kesler didn't want a trade before, does he want one now? Or is he relieved to be staying here (at least for now)?

Can the Canucks fix this team and keep Kesler? I think they can. Obviously, if a huge haul of assets is possible, then a Kesler trade is a good (and the most obvious) starting point for a (relatively) quick rebuild. That said, I don't think it's the only way.

The Lu trade, if coupled with the shedding of more cap space (ie: buyout Booth and possibly find a way to move Burrows--who looks overpaid even if he returns to his former standard of play), creates an opportunity to target free agents who could immediately improve this team.

They also need to rethink how they use the existing group of players. The "play in all situations" experiment with the Sedins has proven to have been largely a failure. It is essential, given their contracts and lineup spots, that he Canucks get every last bit of offense that is possible out of the twins. They need to go back to keeping the minutes below 20 per game (I'd say below 18:00 TOI/G for both Danny and Hank). Get the twins off of the PK. Go back to zone matching and controlling usage. Have the coaches create dedicated systems, schemes, and set plays that are based on what the Sedins do best. Control the lineup so that the Sedins only draw minutes with teammates who have a proven aptitude to play their style of game. Don't try to re-make Sedinery. Don't try to make them work up high above the circles or try to make them focus on creating more plays off of the rush.

Transition the twins into this team's 2nd line. Give them soft minutes. Squeeze as much offense as you can out of them.

Get Kesler a real "1st line" winger to play with. They have the cap space now (or should, after spending the last compliance buyout). Try to build an "all situations" and "1st" line that is centred around Kesler. Spend some money here. And here is offseason coaching job#2: devise further dedicated systems and plays that are based on Kesler's unique set of strengths (and weaknesses). Have the staff all turn pasty and pale from being inside watching tape all summer. Break down what works and what doesn't. Target ways to take advantage of what works best and use that information to make decisions on who Kesler plays with and how they will play the game.

Get a true "puck-rushing" defenseman (there should be a few UFAs available). Pair him with Edler (who apparently will not waive his NTC anyway). Get Edler back into his comfort zone and into a pairing type and role/usage where he's proven to be most effective.

Bring that same zone matching and selected usage to the entire D deployment and how the pairings themselves are constituted.

Concentrate on creating deployment schemes that work not only with lines and pairings but with 5 man units. Get back to controlling who's on the ice (on both teams) when key players like the twins are being used. Target specialized roles for all players (even the depth guys) that rely on their strengths and insulate from their weaknesses.

Sure, a lot of this is a targeted return to some of what AV did when here. I don't deny that. It worked. AV needed to go because his message was getting stale and the team needed a "re-set." That doesn't mean throwing out the things that worked. Use Torts to motivate and push buttons but don't be afraid to learn from what the other guy did (that worked well) and steal his ideas.

Have meetings with every veteran player under a NTC/NMC. If they aren't 100% committed to the Canucks and this team's new direction, ask them to waive. Put on a hard sell, either way, so that you have a group of guys who have really "bought in" and another group who are ready to "get the hell out." Work from this list of "who's staying" and "who's going" and fill out the remaining roster spots accordingly.

Give young players and rookies (even the 2014 picks) a real shot at roles in this lineup, from the top to the bottom, in every role and position. Give the most talented and dynamic prospects an opportunity to really show what they can do. Don't worry about burning a couple ELC years (if they look ready to contribute now).

Anyway, that's a start for how I'd rebuild with Kesler.

I've got more ideas but my daughter just woke-up from her nap (I'm sitting at home on "trade deadline vacation/sick day" :P ) and she wants her Daddy RIGHT NOW!!!

I lost faith in this administration the second they traded Grabner. Yes they did make a cup run that year but that trade will haunt this franchise. IMO

Lol wut.

I don't know how we went from 2x Presidents Trophy winners, and Stanley Cup finalists to this in a span of just a few years. Those years seem like an eternity ago.

MG has single handedly crippled this team.

It's going to be a long, dark journey folks. The glory days are over and I honestly can't see the light at the end of the tunnel. No Cup in Van for a good long while.

You don't?

It's pretty obvious. I was saying this team sucked even when we won president's trophy 2nd time again because you can tell by how they play. Regular season means nothing if we play the wrong way.

We have added barely any good players over the years while other teams have gotten better. Not only did we get worse, other teams have gotten A LOT more improvements.

Sedins are not even that good, and I have no idea why people struggle to see this. They need their pretty plays to land them a goal and when teams collapse they get confused on what to do and force pass through the crease which results in a turnover.

YOU NEED PLAYERS THAT WILL DRIVE THE NET AND GET DIRTY GOALS AND BRING IT TO THE NET HARD.

Not surprised that Kesler's still here.

From what's been reported, I'm not disappointed either. You can pretty much bank on the fact that the actual offers were not as high as what was rumoured. And personally, I didn't think the offers (as reported) were very strong. Certainly there was nothing that would have clearly improved this team (compared to them keeping Kesler).

And, like I've said repeatedly, I don't believe Kesler ever asked for a trade.

My worry is where his head is at now, following the recent events. If Kesler didn't want a trade, I wonder how he feels about how Gillis handled things? "No comment" on the trade demand rumours and then proceeds to test the market (and possibly against Kesler's intial wishes--and I see this as a real possibility). Also, the Lu trade sends a clear signal as to where this team's direction is headed. I'm not sure that being part of a Canucks "rebuild" or "retooling" is all that attractive to a guy who wants to win as much as Kes.

So if Kesler didn't want a trade before, does he want one now? Or is he relieved to be staying here (at least for now)?

Can the Canucks fix this team and keep Kesler? I think they can. Obviously, if a huge haul of assets is possible, then a Kesler trade is a good (and the most obvious) starting point for a (relatively) quick rebuild. That said, I don't think it's the only way.

The Lu trade, if coupled with the shedding of more cap space (ie: buyout Booth and possibly find a way to move Burrows--who looks overpaid even if he returns to his former standard of play), creates an opportunity to target free agents who could immediately improve this team.

They also need to rethink how they use the existing group of players. The "play in all situations" experiment with the Sedins has proven to have been largely a failure. It is essential, given their contracts and lineup spots, that he Canucks get every last bit of offense that is possible out of the twins. They need to go back to keeping the minutes below 20 per game (I'd say below 18:00 TOI/G for both Danny and Hank). Get the twins off of the PK. Go back to zone matching and controlling usage. Have the coaches create dedicated systems, schemes, and set plays that are based on what the Sedins do best. Control the lineup so that the Sedins only draw minutes with teammates who have a proven aptitude to play their style of game. Don't try to re-make Sedinery. Don't try to make them work up high above the circles or try to make them focus on creating more plays off of the rush.

Transition the twins into this team's 2nd line. Give them soft minutes. Squeeze as much offense as you can out of them.

Get Kesler a real "1st line" winger to play with. They have the cap space now (or should, after spending the last compliance buyout). Try to build an "all situations" and "1st" line that is centred around Kesler. Spend some money here. And here is offseason coaching job#2: devise further dedicated systems and plays that are based on Kesler's unique set of strengths (and weaknesses). Have the staff all turn pasty and pale from being inside watching tape all summer. Break down what works and what doesn't. Target ways to take advantage of what works best and use that information to make decisions on who Kesler plays with and how they will play the game.

Get a true "puck-rushing" defenseman (there should be a few UFAs available). Pair him with Edler (who apparently will not waive his NTC anyway). Get Edler back into his comfort zone and into a pairing type and role/usage where he's proven to be most effective.

Bring that same zone matching and selected usage to the entire D deployment and how the pairings themselves are constituted.

Concentrate on creating deployment schemes that work not only with lines and pairings but with 5 man units. Get back to controlling who's on the ice (on both teams) when key players like the twins are being used. Target specialized roles for all players (even the depth guys) that rely on their strengths and insulate from their weaknesses.

Sure, a lot of this is a targeted return to some of what AV did when here. I don't deny that. It worked. AV needed to go because his message was getting stale and the team needed a "re-set." That doesn't mean throwing out the things that worked. Use Torts to motivate and push buttons but don't be afraid to learn from what the other guy did (that worked well) and steal his ideas.

Have meetings with every veteran player under a NTC/NMC. If they aren't 100% committed to the Canucks and this team's new direction, ask them to waive. Put on a hard sell, either way, so that you have a group of guys who have really "bought in" and another group who are ready to "get the hell out." Work from this list of "who's staying" and "who's going" and fill out the remaining roster spots accordingly.

Give young players and rookies (even the 2014 picks) a real shot at roles in this lineup, from the top to the bottom, in every role and position. Give the most talented and dynamic prospects an opportunity to really show what they can do. Don't worry about burning a couple ELC years (if they look ready to contribute now).

Anyway, that's a start for how I'd rebuild with Kesler.

I've got more ideas but my daughter just woke-up from her nap (I'm sitting at home on "trade deadline vacation/sick day" :P ) and she wants her Daddy RIGHT NOW!!!

Totally agree with the cap space, buy out Booth coupled with Luongos cap saving and that can bring in a top six player. The Sedins have to play less minutes next year and have them play in offensive situations. No PK. if Torts learns from that mistake this team doesn't need to go full rebuild.

whiny posts eh

just like every single post about how badly Luongo got traded oh poor him he got a 12 year deal oh poor him Schneider is playing more oh poor him Lack played the outdoor indoor game

don't get me wrong i appreciate what Luongo has done for this franchise but he was on the decline and that was the main reason 2 coaches and 2 back ups got games he usually got

Canucks 66 points before Luongo traded.

Panthers, 53.

Let us see which team does better at the end of the season.

In a way, we are 1-2-1 without him since the Olympics seeing how the last game he played whilst a member of the Canucks was against Austria.

So Kesler is now making it no secret that he wants out

Ryan Kesler@Ryan_Kesler 16m

"Told you so" - @strombone1

Anyone else find this extremely disrespectful to his teammates that are still here trying to make the playoffs?

What a guy.

That's not what he's saying at all...

He mentioned in an interview (on the team 1040) that Luongo had told him he wouldn't get traded. All he's saying is that Luongo can now say "I told you so" because he was right.

How is that disrespectful to anyone??? Stop making a big deal out of nothing.

1782083_10152261094567145_1120580896_n.jpg

Canucks' War Room today.

Kind of looks like MG was told to stand in the corner and not say anything or touch anything, doesn't it?

This kind of speaks volumes to me. Unless it's "after the fact", at which point I'd still expect MG to be more engaged.

No idea what's going on behind the scenes so the smart thing to do is not to speculate. But from what I heard about what was being offered for Kes, I wouldn't have taken those deals either. Consider that media hype is what made this trade even a possibility and with no trade resulting, the media needs a new story. Plus with no more Lu goalie controversy, all they can attack is MG, Torts and the Aquilinis.

Affraid the Canucks have again crushed a relationship with another player. Last year Luongo, now Kesler. If Gillis stays on, he'll point out that Kesler is the key part of this team and it was all media driven. Give him the C to try to make him happy, but trade him next year anyway

Really, just from one photo?

Maybe he was thinking and was walking around

It's amazing how everything is over analyzed in here.

It's an observation, that's all.

Listen, deadline day is fast and furious...a sprint to the finish line. If you're fielding all kinds of offers it leaves little time to "think/walk around". Again, maybe it was before or after the fact. But, if it was "during", then yeah, I stick by what I've said.

Observations are a little different than analysis. I didn't go into it.

Matthias sounded more excited to play for vancouver than any oppurtunity in his life.

Fans are showing their true stupid by thinkg luogo was worth more or that he wanted to stay.

I for one welcome our new 6'4 220 lbs minimum requirement on this tean.

Archived