The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Best GM Candidate?

Just wondering, who is currently the best available person for a GM position on an NHL club? (including current assistant GMs etc)

With the reported dysfunctional relationship between Ownership/MG/Torts, it might be best for a new GM to take over.

Aquilini went out of the box by taking a former agent with no GM experience. By going outside of the old boys club (which the NHL definitely is), MG had an uphill battle (especially as a former player agent who used to stick it to other GMs)

Maybe its time to go back to the conventional and take a bright hockey mind from the old club

So who's available?

rick Dudley, Norm Maciver, Joe Sakic, Don Sweeny

any of those would be a MAJOR upgrade over the Idiot that currently occupies that position

Sakic is intriguing. Kind of like a Stevie Y wisdom to Sakic plus he's from Burnaby but no experience and not sure how well he would be accepted by other GMs.

Feaster? Milbury?

lol thats a downgrade for sure. Just the thought of Mad Mike wheeling and dealing guys like Kesler gives me a good laugh

Are any of you 'pundits' qualified to have an opinion? .. Yzerman being forced to trade St. Louis is every bit as bad as anything Gillis ever created .. you guys should be happy we never hired Feaster.

haha

I guess only Burkie, Holland and Shero can post on CDC then

Yes, the situation for Stevie Y sucked but the fact he came out of that trade as a winner was very impressive. He had to trade a 38 year old disgruntled player and only had one team to trade him to. Talk about hitting a home run with absolutely zero leverage...

haha

Yes, the situation for Stevie Y sucked but the fact he came out of that trade as a winner was very impressive. He had to trade a 38 year old disgruntled player and only had one team to trade him to. Talk about hitting a home run with absolutely zero leverage...

difference between a competent/respected GM

and a laughing stock buffoon.

stevie Y turned a 137 year old disgruntled player that only wanted to go to one team into a Callahan, and possibly 2 first round picks (1st/2nd at least)

in my opinion, kesler has more value then st. louis

Taking Gillis' job away from him would be the ultimate revenge of....Brian Burke.

It would all depend upon whether or not his infamous vindictiveness extends to the Aquilini's as well....which I think it does....and if the money offered-up could generously surpass his present salary with the 'Lames. If that happens - the wiley Mr. Burke, a powerful league-insider, could definitely bring a lot his special advantages to bear. But - since he says he's done with West Coast GMing for the sake of his family...I guess we have to believe 'im...plus the extent of the burnings that have been going on between these parties is SO deep - it's been akin to war.

So - I withdraw that suggestion.

My former choice to coach this team - during the last coaching-search, was John Stevens. He may no longer be tempted to join himself to this fray....if he ever was....with VAN in the same division as his Kings. Alas. The Aquilini's likely feel that paying-out Torts with so much term left on his contract... is prohibiting. So unless Tortorella quits - I worry that we are stuck with him. If so, a stronger GM should be making some clear & new demands of him & if Tortorella doesn't knuckle-under & comply - we all know that he'll eventually blow-his-gasket & perhaps walk-away on his own.

It's a waiting game them.

All I kno'.... is that I don't want to watch a Tortorella-style system imposed upon this team - that doesn't include the flash & dash of creative goal-scoring. And that's where we are....without any healthy or proficient goal-scorers & without any goal-scoring on the PP or 5 on 5....and Tortorella clearly has NO answers for that.

Expect the drama to continue.

haha

Yzermans a winner in that trade? Will you still be saying that if Callahan turns around and signs back in NY for the deal they were close to signing. If that happens they traded their Kesler and only got a 1st round pick in the 20-30 range and a conditional second. We still have till July to find out who the real winner is in this deal. If Gillis made that same deal for Kesler people would have lost their minds.

I doubt he'd want it because he has good thing going in Sweden, but I'd offer Naslund the job, hopefully he'd bring Forsberg with him. Naslund has gained some experience at the helm of MODO so he wouldn't be completely inexperienced with the job like Linden. But I think we'll have to wait a while for Nazzy, he said he wanted to raise his kids in Sweden.

Are any of you 'pundits' qualified to have an opinion? .. Yzerman being forced to trade St. Louis is every bit as bad as anything Gillis ever created .. you guys should be happy we never hired Feaster.

Yzerman got Ryan Callahan (very serviceable 2-way forward), 1st round pick, and 2nd round pick (potentially another 1st if the Rangers make the eastern finals), for a 38-year-old MSL.

That's great return on this years market. Just look at what NYI got for Vanek...

Archived