The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Salary cap space?

Lui's Knob

If Booth is bought out with a compliance (according to Cap Geek) we'd have about 16.5~ million cap space next year. Pretty good if ya ask me.

Callahan, Vanek, Moulson, Camalleri, and basically all the rentals that were just traded are UFA this year given they don't sign extensions.

The free agent crop is tiny, about 5 decent players who can score, our teams biggest need. Of those 5, it's likely that 1or 2 will sign a new deal with the team that traded for them, at least one of the remaining is all but committed to the Wild, that leaves 2 at most for 20 teams to fight over.

Add that up with the treatment of Luongo, Kesler rumors, Torts rep as a hard coach to play for who also kills your stats, and the decline of the team as a whole and you get a lot of space for no players.

Canucks 2014-2015

Roster Size Salary Cap Salary Cap Payroll Bonuses Salary Cap Space 20 $71,100,000 $57,854,444 $1,070,833 $13,245,556

Estimations are based on the 2014-15 season.

Left Wing

Center

Right Wing

Daniel Sedin

$7,000,000

Henrik Sedin

$7,000,000

Alexandre Burrows

$4,500,000

Chris Higgins

$2,500,000

Ryan Kesler

$5,000,000

Nicklas Jensen

EL $863,333

Bo Horvat

EL

icon_10chart_bonus.png $925,000

Shawn Matthias

$1,750,000

Jannik Hansen

$2,500,000

Tom Sestito

$750,000

Brad Richardson

$1,150,000

Hunter Shinkaruk

EL

icon_10chart_bonus.png $925,000

Left Defense

Right Defense

Alexander Edler

$5,000,000

Kevin Bieksa

$4,600,000

Jason Garrison

$4,600,000

Dan Hamhuis

$4,500,000

Ryan Stanton

$550,000

Frank Corrado

EL

icon_10chart_bonus.png $591,111

Goaltenders

Jacob Markstrom

$1,200,000

Eddie Lack

$1,150,000

Buyouts

David Booth$0

Keith Ballard$0

Buried Contracts

None

Retained Salaries

Roberto Luongo

15.00% $800,000

Sorry for the long drawn out post, couldn't figure out a cleaner way to copy/paste. But we'd have $13.245M in free cap space and that's with 12 forwards, 6 dmen and 2 goalies (2 vacant roster spots).

EDIT: errr I forgot to add Tanev...

I'd have Santorelli back as well. He was arguably our second best forward up until he was injured .

The injury may actually help us. We may be able to get him cheaper longer term now.

If Booth is bought out with a compliance (according to Cap Geek) we'd have about 16.5~ million cap space next year. Pretty good if ya ask me.

Callahan, Vanek, Moulson, Camalleri, and basically all the rentals that were just traded are UFA this year given they don't sign extensions.

I like that. We'd only need like $5-7 million to re-sign FA's and would have about $9-10 million to sign a FA or two. Here's how I see it:

Tanev: $2.5-3 million

Kassian: $1-1.5 million

Santorelli: $1.5-2 million

Weber: $800K-$850K

Rookies: ~$1.5 million

The free agent crop is tiny, about 5 decent players who can score, our teams biggest need. Of those 5, it's likely that 1or 2 will sign a new deal with the team that traded for them, at least one of the remaining is all but committed to the Wild, that leaves 2 at most for 20 teams to fight over.

Add that up with the treatment of Luongo, Kesler rumors, Torts rep as a hard coach to play for who also kills your stats, and the decline of the team as a whole and you get a lot of space for no players.

Callahan's stats were actually killed by your BFF AV. Just sayin'. We sent Luo exactly where he wanted to go. Don't see how the Kesler rumors effect signing people.

Salary Cap won't be going up nearly as much as was previously speculated, because of the weak Canadian dollar. I don't have a link but I know TSN was talking about it going up only to around 67m this year instead of the 71m+ that was speculated before. If we don't buy out booth/burrows we won't have that much space.

Might be a good thing. Limited FA options may lead to teams bidding more for Kesler(or another vet).

Callahan's stats were actually killed by your BFF AV. Just sayin'. We sent Luo exactly where he wanted to go. Don't see how the Kesler rumors effect signing people.

I'm not a fan of AV, so, yeah, idiotic assumption is idiotic. Torts is known as a hard coach to play for. Daniel, Henrik, booth, Burrows, Hansen are all having one of the worst years of their careers, not a coincidence.

Luongo got traded, after more than 22 months of very public poor treatment. If you think that isn't in the mind of players, you're nuts. Then, on top of that the rumors that Kesler wants out can only serve to further convince free agents that something stinks here.

And lastly, it's AFFECT.

Archived