The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jacob Markstrom | #25 | G

Honeydew

So, this guy has for his first 3 games in Utica this year, 0.33 GAA .988 Save Percentage and 2 shutouts!

If he can ever put this together at the NHL level (and yes, that's possible, he's still relatively young) we could really have a good solid future starter!

29 Saves tonight for the shutout!

Awesome!

Anyone seen how he's been playing in the AHL? Brief description of how his positioning and overall play if possible for those of you who can watch the games. Really good to hear positive stats.

I watched the game last night.

Markstrom's positioning is solid, always in a position to make an easy save; when the play invariably breaks down and he has to scramble, his athleticism shines, enabling him to make some very reactionary and acrobatic saves.

The Canucks management were right to shoo him into the AHL after an un-televised, pre-season performance because had management/scouts from around the league seen his progression they would have undoubtedly plucked him off waivers.

It's my belief that Lack is trade bait, and will be showcased this year up until the trade deadline and moved in a package to get some young blueline depth that is NHL ready, or young T6 depth, recalling Markstrom. Markstrom will then serve under Miller until either a) he is traded in the last year of his contract, or B) leaves via free-agency leaving Markstrom to take over.

When this happens, Markstrom will be 27/28 and just entering his prime as a goaltender.

Demko is a good 8-9 years from entering his prime as a goaltender, so Markstrom fills that gap nicely.

• Upvote 2

I watched the game last night.

Markstrom's positioning is solid, always in a position to make an easy save; when the play invariably breaks down and he has to scramble, his athleticism shines, enabling him to make some very reactionary and acrobatic saves.

The Canucks management were right to shoo him into the AHL after an un-televised, pre-season performance because had management/scouts from around the league seen his progression they would have undoubtedly plucked him off waivers.

It's my belief that Lack is trade bait, and will be showcased this year up until the trade deadline and moved in a package to get some young blueline depth that is NHL ready, or young T6 depth, recalling Markstrom. Markstrom will then serve under Miller until either a) he is traded in the last year of his contract, or B) leaves via free-agency leaving Markstrom to take over.

When this happens, Markstrom will be 27/28 and just entering his prime as a goaltender.

Demko is a good 8-9 years from entering his prime as a goaltender, so Markstrom fills that gap nicely.

I can see this happening as well. Lack right now has a higher value and the more we showcase him the more we will get. I'm not sure if we wait until Trade Deadline. A team that starts to struggle defensively or a team that has a goalie go down with injury might start the bidding.

Either way I don't think the return for Lack is huge, but he could become an attractive asset in a package deal

Given (1) how much closer Lack is in his development, (2) Markstrom's pedigree, and (3) how long we've signed Miller for, it seems reasonable to suspect that Benning is trying to showcase Lack and keep Markstrom instead.

Miller's Contract year 1: Miller is the starter, Lack gets some games - Lack traded by deadline

Miller's Contract year 2: Miller is the starter, Markstrom gets some games

Miller's Contract year 3: Miller and Markstrom split the net

Year 4: Miller is not re-signed, Markstrom is the starting goaltender, Cannata is the backup, Demko joins Utica

• Upvote 2