The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jacob Markstrom | #25 | G

Honeydew

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

He looked pretty bad against us then gets ripped by McDavid. Might be the start of him coming down to Earth a bit. That no look shot through Tanev and Marky was just too good (somehow Tanev ends up a 0 +/- on a night they get scored on 7 times).

If Marky isn't elite for more than 1 season, this cap hit is going to sting.

• Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

He looked pretty bad against us then gets ripped by McDavid. Might be the start of him coming down to Earth a bit. That no look shot through Tanev and Marky was just too good (somehow Tanev ends up a 0 +/- on a night they get scored on 7 times).

If Marky isn't elite for more than 1 season, this cap hit is going to sting.

Also being overplayed. He was never good here with too many games. It is going to get worse if they keep playing him like they are. 

Marky started to rise when we could rely on Demko to take a few more games. 

2 hours ago, FaninMex said:

Also being overplayed. He was never good here with too many games. It is going to get worse if they keep playing him like they are. 

Marky started to rise when we could rely on Demko to take a few more games. 

I would tend to disagree with the first statement a bit. Marky played 60 games in two straight seasons, notably including 2018-19, the season in which many consider him to have really broken through. He was obviously injured in 2019-20, but despite that, still played in 43 games (at the time 43 games out of 61 team games), which was a pace for 58 games, still a fairly high number, especially in today's NHL.

That said, to your point, the Flames are still riding him far harder than we ever did, as he has played in 14 of 17 games, which would be an insane 68-game pace in 82 games. Almost no goaltender can endure that kind of reliance without hardship. I would agree that they're overplaying him and should try Rittich a bit more if they want to have a healthy Marky for the playoffs, should they make them.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

I would tend to disagree with the first statement a bit. Marky played 60 games in two straight seasons, notably including 2018-19, the season in which many consider him to have really broken through. He was obviously injured in 2019-20, but despite that, still played in 43 games (at the time 43 games out of 61 team games), which was a pace for 58 games, still a fairly high number, especially in today's NHL.

That said, to your point, the Flames are still riding him far harder than we ever did, as he has played in 14 of 17 games, which would be an insane 68-game pace in 82 games. Almost no goaltender can endure that kind of reliance without hardship. I would agree that they're overplaying him and should try Rittich a bit more if they want to have a healthy Marky for the playoffs, should they make them.

The worst thing is, these games are much more compact than in previous seasons. 68 game pace in this season is just about a game every second night, with the odd back-to-back off. I think Calgary will do just that, they paid money for an elite goalie, they're going to play him like a prime Luongo/Brodeur and I'm not sure if he's that good.

Ian Clarke and Green managed the goalies perfectly last season but Calgary don't have the same faith in Rittich. As this tough season goes on we'll see some strange things, this will be tougher than any other season because of the condensed games. I do wonder if Holtby and Demko will get better and better over the season because of all the little breaks (they're basically playing at the same rate as a normal goalie in normal circumstances but slightly less, with a game just about every 3-5 nights each) and these juggernauts like Marky will be exhausted by the end of the season.

In his first seasons with us, Marky was terrible after playing more than 5-10 games consistently, and I think we're starting to see those cracks show now as well. In this 56 game schedule I think you need your backup to play at least 20 games but we'll see what Calgary do.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
25 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

At this point, really happy that the Canucks went with Demko.  

Gotta agree. I loved Marky and it hurt to let him go, but even at the time, I felt it was the right choice. I think we'll have similar feelings with Horvat years down the line.

• Vintage 1