The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks going for 7th seed/8th seed

Shamu101

I still think we can make playoffs. Lack is already playing well, and I think Matthias is actually a big time pick up. Our center depth comprises of Sedin, Kesler, Mattias, Richardson, Schroeder. That is significantly better than the Kesler, Richardson, Schroeder, Daple, we were rocking before. Daniel Sedin is out for a while, but he wasn't doing much anyway. Our schedule should be a little easier too. I really think this team is missing Mike Santorelli. This year he was like a second slightly worse version of Kesler. Kept in our top 4 scoring, played fantastic defensively, and provided heart and soul throughout the lineup. (props to Gillis for that fantastic pick up.) But my point is, I think Gillis thinks Mattias could replace what we were missing in Santo. If he could fill that gap then we could really see a surge throughout the lineup. We get on a roll like december, we can make the playoffs and possibly enter in on fire and able to make an impact. Question is, can Mattias do like Santo did and take his game to a really high level. He is already a good player.

With the deals that Gillis made(most significant the Lu trade) , I honestly think we will be pushing for a playoff spot. We have two spectacular goaltenders in Lack n Markstrom. Especially looking at the standings right now. Dallas lossed in their last game even though they have a couple games in hand. If we win against them tomorrow we could get in a groove especially getting a centerman thats capable of scoring goals and can catch on fire like last season.

markstrom is also another great pick up. Hes 6 foot 6 just like our former goaltender. he posts some great numbers as well in the AHL.

You lost me there... an .874 save% is spectacular to you? Markstrom is a project. If/when Melanson can manage to improve the technical side of his game (and it's a big if), he'll be able to push Lack for the starting job, but you can be pretty sure that won't be this season.

Couple that with our scoring woes (which show no signs of improving, especially with Daniel out) and you're in for a loooong six weeks. I look forward to the summer though, we have a chance to really retool and insert some youth into the lineup for the first time in a long time.

We might not even score 7 or 8 more goals this year haha.. We traded our star goalie, Daniels out, we called up a goon even though our offensive kid is scoring like a mad man in the minors.

It would be cool to squeeze into the playoffs but I'm pretty sure we're all buying Reinhardt jerseys next fall

95 points? where'd you pull that number from, The magic number is 90,

95 points would mean the rest of the teams would need to go:

PHX 13- 5- 2

DAL 12-5-3

Jets 13-4-2

8th seed in Western Conference from the last four years:

2012-13 Minnesota - 94 pts (prorated to an 82 game schedule)

2011-12 Los Angeles - 95 pts

2010-11 Chicago - 97 pts

2009-10 Colorado - 95 pts

That's how I "pulled" that number. That and 95 is the number every analyst is basing it on.

Regardless, say we go all miracle and make the playoffs as the 8th seed. Yay!! Congrats, here's either the Ducks, Blues, or Hawks! Cup run here we come!!!

How I would setup lines:

Burrows-Kesler-Higgins

Booth-Sedin-Kassian

Matthias-Richardson-Hansen

Sestito-Lain-Archibald

Hamhius-Garrison

Edler-Tanev

Stanton-Bieksa

Go with the hot hand in goal between Lack and Markstrom. I think Tortorella should really open up game play and throw my 2nd line of Booth, Henrik and Kassian some really soft minutes. These soft minutes build Kassian's confidence for an offseason of hard training. They could get Booth producing, which would be really big if we actually retool in the off season.

From the looks of it, this is probably a .500 hockey club. The only way I think we get into playoffs is with very hot goaltending and offensive production. I think either Torts opens up play for some of our forwards, utilizing preferential zone starts OR he gives the most ice time to whoever can actually score.

How I would setup lines:

Burrows-Kesler-Higgins

Booth-Sedin-Kassian

Matthias-Richardson-Hansen

Sestito-Lain-Archibald

Hamhius-Garrison

Edler-Tanev

Stanton-Bieksa

Go with the hot hand in goal between Lack and Markstrom. I think Tortorella should really open up game play and throw my 2nd line of Booth, Henrik and Kassian some really soft minutes. These soft minutes build Kassian's confidence for an offseason of hard training. They could get Booth producing, which would be really big if we actually retool in the off season.

From the looks of it, this is probably a .500 hockey club. The only way I think we get into playoffs is with very hot goaltending and offensive production. I think either Torts opens up play for some of our forwards, utilizing preferential zone starts OR he gives the most ice time to whoever can actually score.

give the most ice time to whoever can actually score?? so who exactly can actually score out there other than kesler.. higgins once in a while.. kassian once in a while.. and then who? at the clip we are scoring at.. we might even pass buffalo for least amount of goal scored in the league.. and if we are going to lose/rebuild anyways.. can we play some exciting hockey and not worry about losing? at least make the game entertaining to watch?? if the next few years of the rebuild involve watching the canucks played like they did against the coyote.. i think watching the paint dry is more entertaining

God, I hope not.

The media needs to stop contending that we're some how trying to make a playoff push. Have they seen this team? The previous statement is absolutely retarded if they've watched this team any time in 2014. We need to tank and tank hard this season. It's over anyway, it's an impossibility to make it at this point unless there is some sort of divine intervention here.

It's time for Torts to take Henrik off all PK's and have him focused solely on offensive zone starts, use Kes to his strengths against other teams top lines and put some more trust in the 3rd/4th liners to chip in on the PK. Henrik if he is healthy, maybe, just maybe, he can pick up his play like he did a few years ago when he was without his brother on the top line, then maybe we can sneak in the wild card spot.

Only Buffalo(125g) and Calgary(145g) have less goals for than us(150) :picard:

If we win tonight, we will be tied for 8th, it is unbelievable we still even have a chance!

On the other side, if we lose, the best realistic draft pick would be 7th, with a very outside chance at 6th

right now we are holding the 9th pick.

OTT. got Vanek so I would think they would move up in the standings, so the 8th pick is a lock.

the odds of getting the lotto pick from where are

PICK 6- 6.2%

PICK 7- 4.7%

PICK 8- 3.6%

PICK 9- 2.7%

WE HAVE BETTER ODDS OF GETTING THE LOTTO PICK (EKBLAD)

THAN GOING 13-5 AND MAKING THE PLAYOFFS!

If we do make the playoffs we would have to be on such a great roll

that we would actually do some damage.

Archived