The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why do you guys want Gillis fired?

Merely

fire gillis no plan what so ever still had a chance at the playoffs trade the vet goalie for a rookie goalie and don't pick up another vetran goalie to least give the players some hope ? so now what have u done gillis 2 good goalies gone in less than a year and killing another one confidence what kinda gm does that a bold move or a stupid move all this drama with the goalies the coach kesler always a circus and mike gillis is the head clown what ufa would want to sign here now

Series of miscalculations and maybe too arrogant or cocky has brought us here.

Kassian brought in for a player that could have brought in a top 4 d man or second - even a first line player.

Booth brought in that crippled the second line when he was injured with nobody to replace him.

Ballard's salary and cap space killing the blue line while jettisoning your one capable play maker and puck mover in Ehrhoff-demanding he take Bieksa's contract or nothing.

Losing Salo and not replacing his second line PP presence-first and second line PP then gone on the back end.

The disasters of Daniel's injury,Burr's injuries,Hank's injury,Santo's injury-throw in Edler's injuries.

How the mighty have fallen - and quick.

It's always hilarious watch the idiots of CDC saying we should fire Torts. Torts is not the problem. It is also clear now AV wasn't the problem. The core is rotten, people. Get that through your heads. No coach is going fix this. The only fix is bringing in new blood.

The core were doing fine into the New Year-not outstanding but very competitive.Explain,please.

Torts is a problem and everybody has now seen the man is not the best role model or face for any franchise.

Gillis has created his share of the problems that now plague the franchise but it looks like I am not one of the only ones pointing out the obvious any longer.

I don't necessarily want him fired, but wouldn't be sad to see somebody else either. Funny thing is the Luongo trade and David Booth trade don't even really bother me that much. You weren't going to get a ton for Luongo and I actually like the potential Matthias has. As far as Booth goes, if anybody can honestly sit at their computer and type that they didn't like that trade at the time they'd be lying. I was pumped to have Booth join this team based on the way he'd played in Florida. I don't think anybody could've seen what happened coming.

Below are the two things that Mike Gillis did that absolutely frustrate me to this day:

1) Cody Hodgson - I know he was unhappy or whatever it was and had asked to be traded. I don't care. That guy was going to become the teams best player and could have been for several years. He was a guy you build your team around which at this point they simply don't have. What they have to show for that trade now is Zack Kassian. I have hope that Kassian can be decent, in fact I even somewhat believe in him. Right now though, the guy is a dummy on the ice night in and night out. The glimpses of skill are far outweighed by the bonehead plays and this was something anybody who watched a single Sabres game before could have told you before the trade was made.

2) Schneider - Again, franchise player. Can Horvat turn out to be worth the trade? Maybe. I DON'T CARE. This was a very very good goaltender who is going to be even better and you got rid of him. Cory Schneider was a guy that was as close to a guaranteed great starter for the next 10 years that they will ever get. GONE!

This organization has clearly been able to tell for the last couple years that changes were going to have to happen. Players were either getting older or will be getting bigger contracts which will mean they can't keep them all. So knowing that you will be losing guys that have been the core of your team, getting rid of two players you can build your team around is just complete idiocy and I can't believe anybody let him get away with those deals, the Schneider one in particular.

Good post. Yeah....2 horrible moves. The loss of Schneider was a joke. It was amateur hour by Gillis.

I am NOT an unapologetic Gillis supporter but I'm getting the distinct feeling that FAQ is meddling behind the scenes and if that's the case I give up. I'm delighted that the human distraction called Luongo is gone for a quality return (if only the Cult of Lou would follow him) and I was hoping the feeding frenzy that surrounded Kesler would pay off big; alas we are stuck with yet another sulky rockstar who is doing nothing to increase his trade value on the ice. If Gillis is gone he's going out on his shield which I can at least respect.

It's always hilarious watch the idiots of CDC saying we should fire Torts. Torts is not the problem. It is also clear now AV wasn't the problem. The core is rotten, people. Get that through your heads. No coach is going fix this. The only fix is bringing in new blood.

I've said this for years to the jeers of the multitudes here. We need a heart transplant.

let raffi walk no return, he destroyed everyone with a offensive upside

let erhoff walk no return, best pmd we had

indirectly skyrocketed our PP, made plays from his d zone

years later our pp drops drastically

terrible player management

terrible player asset managment

made this team into a circus

laughing stock of the league

from contender to a joke of a team

anything else feel free to contribute

He didn't let Raffi Walk. 2 million dollars for Raffi Torres is just too much and at 2 years. Way too much. Good move. He averaged just around 2.5 hits per game, and nothing more. Not worth 2 body checks on average per game, for 2 million dollars per year. Who is a 2 million dollar player? Jannik Hansen and Chris Higgins.

Letting Ehrhoff go was his worst move. I agree with this one.

Haters don't seem to understand. It's hindight 20/20

Its a NTC that we are getting such good deals for these players. Its NTC or a trade for something of a low return. Do you rather have that over re signing a player like Edler or Bieksa? He did the right moves which is retain and keep the player! Your not going to tell me, not to sign him right? We will be a much terrible team, if 2 of our 4 million dollar + players are let go!

Mike Gillis stays as GM and over sees the retooling of the Vancouver Canucks.

The team is in chaos, in an uncontrollable free fall, he totally fails to deliver at the trade deadline and Gillis is interviewed on a golf course yesterday??? The guy is a public relations disaster with no concept of marketing his product or himself.

The team is in chaos, in an uncontrollable free fall, he totally fails to deliver at the trade deadline and Gillis is interviewed on a golf course yesterday??? The guy is a public relations disaster with no concept of marketing his product or himself.

I think the biggest thing is he comes across so arrogant... other gms probably dont like him. Doesnt seem like they do. Look what St. Louis got from the Rangers. Now look what was being offered for Kesler... ???

Good grief, some of you fans are really gluttons for punishment. How much more of Gillis' crap sandwich are you gonna let him stuff down your throat? The guy is a completely incompetent buffoon who hasn't a clue how to manage a hockey team. 4 years in a row now of doing absolutely nothing to upgrade the team, not to mention all the disastrous trades he's ruined the team with.

I feel like hes had his kick,

Erhoff was his greatest success in my opinion, Sundin and demitra, hamuis and Garrison ---> These are the only good things he has done as a GM in my opinion

And his drafting has been not horrendous

My lists are not chronological

The good:

1. Sundin brought a circus was ridiculous, but he came in with a bold move, helped our team and helped Kesler develop - overall a win

2. Erhoff trade was either great or pure luck, took advantage of a cap squeeze - his biggest win

3. Cashed in on Demitra relationship and I liked him - lost naslund though so a wash for me

4. Signed Hamuis and Garrison --> Big wins I love both these guys

5. He gave Shirokov a shot --> something I dont think Nonis could have done

6. All the new age stuff sleep doctors etc, to help with travels , quality of life for athletes etc

The bad:

1. All the NTCs and NMCs = zero flexibility

2. Mismanagement of Hodgson = accountability with AV and our Media

3. Goalie controversy = accountability with AV and our Media again

-at the end of the day AV is Gillis responsibility so it falls on him

4. The goalie controversy was a massive distraction and was terrible for our team culture

5. After losing in 2011 we lost key pieces: Torres, Salo, Erhoff, Malhotra - We were clearly missing pieces or else we would have won, for goodness sakes Keslers line mates: Higgins and Steve Tambellini,,,,, what kind of stanley cup team wins with that as a second line..

Salo and Erhoff were massive pieces to lose on our D end - PP was drastically hurt, confidence and experience was lost, our quick transition game really hurt, we lost our best PMD, both had lots of GWG, OT GWG, they were both very big impact players on our D end, both played well with Edler as well

Torres - we didnt replace him with another feisty cannon ball of a player who can score goals

Malhotra - a defensive experienced commander, a leader, a boss - killed it in the face off circle, killed penalties - would actually lead the PK and delegate he would take control, he would also score and set up goals and chip in offensively even though he mostly took Defensive draws.

6. Only 1 player was replaced and Garrison was brought in.

7. We should have been growing, improving, not losing players and regressing.

8. Mismanagement of Malhotra.... The man is a professional athlete if he says he can play he can play.. Looks to me like he is playing fine in Carolina..

9. All the terrible trades: most notably the Grabner and ballard trade --> not sure how much AV influenced this but I loved grabner and especially with Kesler, Ballard I guess was brought in as a poor mans erhoff, was a massive falure

10. Booth was a massive failure

11. Gillis inherited a great core, his first additions were demitra and Sundin and his first prospect was suppose to be hodgson and that went completely sour

I feel Gillis has had his shot, done all he can, and his shelf life has expired now.

He should respectfully resign as GM appoint someone who can have a solid vision of the team identity and stick to a plan and make things happen, and manage the team professionally and intelligently, keep us from looking like the goof troop or mickey mouse franchise of the league. I would like it if he stayed on as President though, as I feel he is a good negotiator with free agents (a rep which could be tarnished from all the sour rep he has earned himself the past 2 years) only if the GM wanted him to be a part of the UFA process or resigning process, but I think he could be a good president and continue to do the things he has aded since coming here behind the scenes n the organization, like nutritionists, sleep doctors etc.

Gillis reaped the benefits of the lineup he inherited and never did anything to improve or maintain

The season before Gillis got hired we missed the playoffs..he improved the team to one game of winning the SC..there's nowhere to go after that than down.

The season before Gillis got hired we missed the playoffs..he improved the team to one game of winning the SC..there's nowhere to go after that than down.

The team that went to the cup was largely inherited from Nonis/Burke. Only now does the team have more players Gillis brought in than players he inherited and you can see the results.

Also, there is no doubt that this team is far worse than the team that missed the playoffs when Gillis took over.

The team that went to the cup was largely inherited from Nonis/Burke. Only now does the team have more players Gillis brought in than players he inherited and you can see the results.

Also, there is no doubt that this team is far worse than the team that missed the playoffs when Gillis took over.

If you hate Gillis ..so be it..but at least be objective about it..As GM he has a .670 winning percentage..Maybe you should revisit Dave Nonis' last season here .Isbister,Matt Pettinger for Cooke..snd the cherry on top..Patrick White.

I admit Gillis made Frack ups,but to give him zero credit for the success this team has had is complete bs..!

It's interesting. When Gillis first took over and said he needed to review all the parts that were in place here from top to bottom, he openly questioned the Sedins ability to be the catalysts to lead the team. Well, they sure did a good sell-job him all the way along, because he's done nothing but shower them with praise and load their pockets with money, to the point where he was completely oblivious to their erosion as players. That blind love affair is going to drag the team down like an anchor until the day they're gone. I do give him credit for finally unloading Lou's contract (or most of it), but he did it a year too late, cost him Schneider, and should be a clear reminder that that crazy contract should never have been offered in the first place.

People blaming the GM who took the team to one game within winning the Stanley Cup? Everything is what have you done for me lately, because of stupid bandwagon fans which over half consume CDC with their stupidity.

He inherited a team that missed the playoffs and was the 10th worst team in the NHL that year. The Schneider/Luongo and Hodgson debacle has overshadowed the plenty of great things he accomplished for this franchise.

In 08 he:

- Acquired Steve Bernier for a 2nd and a 3rd. At the time he was a young powerforward with potential. Didn't work out with Sedins but still gave up very little for a decent potential guy. Grade: B

- Drafted Cody Hodgson, many were pursuing Kyle Beach at the time. Kyle is no where to be seen, good on GMMG, Grade: A

- Signed Demitra to a 2 year 8M deal, great acquisition. Helped elevate Kesler's game. Grade: A-

- Signed Backes to an offer sheet for only a 2nd round tender, almost worked out. Good talent evaluation Grade: B

In 09

- Signed Mats Sundin to a one year deal, helped elevate Kesler's game and provided solid offense and playoff performances. Grade: B+

- Signed Alex Edler to a 13M, 4 year contract which became a great steal, (3.25M cap hit); Grade A+

- Signed Alex Burrows to a 8M, 4 year contract which became a great steal. (2m cap hit) Grade: A+

- Drafted Jordan Schroder, at the time the BPA. Grade: C+

- Acquires Ehrhoff for free, Grade: A++++

- Re-signed Luongo to 12 year extension, great cap hit, allowed room for Cup run. At the time was legal, Grade: A-

- Signed Sedins to 30M, 5 year extensions (6M cap hit): Grade: A

- Sign Eddie Lack, Grade: A+++

- Re-signed Kesler to 5M cap hit for 6 years, Grade; A+

- Keith Ballard trade, at the time it was a good trade for both teams. However, hindsight 20/20, Grabner got waived from Florida and the Grade: C

As you can see, his first two years he made phenomenal moves to turn this team into a legitimate Cup competitor. Most of his other moves were extremely minor or were insignificant.

In 10

- Signs Maholtra Grade: A

- Signs Hamhuis Grade: A+

- Acquires Higgins for Cup Run, Grade: A+

- Acquires Lappy for Cup run: Grade: A-

- Signs Chris Tanev, Grade: A+++

In 11

- Re-signs Hansen to 3 year, 4.05M cap hit, excellent cap hit Grade: A

- Signs Marco Sturm: Grade C

- Re-signs Bieksa: Grade B

- Hodgson traded for Kassian, Grade: C (Hodgson looks better, Kassian has higher potential still)

- Traded for David Booth, at time it was good trade, dumped two vets for potential top six winger and third round pick, Hindsight 20/20, Grade: C+

In 12

- Signs Garrison, Grade: B+

- Re-signed Schneider to 3 year, 12 M contract, Grade: B

Luongo sitaution: F

Actual Luongo trade: B+

Schneider for Horvat, can't grade.

So he's had a few blunders like the Luongo, Ballard and Booth, but overall he's made literally a thousand B or A moves here.

People don't realize that the Schneider and Hodgson trades need time to evaluate. Kassian is getting third and fourth line minutes and JUST turned 23. He will at the very least be an effective top 9 player that plays hard and physical. Horvat is a blue-chip prospect territory. If he can be a legitimate top 6 player for the next 8 years at controlled cost it will turn out great for the Canucks. We could have gotten a better offer from EDM but would you want EDM to get a franchise goalie and watch them destroy us every year?

Half the CDC has the reasons but here are mine

Worst trade record. Since his arrival in 2008, only three of his players he traded for, not including this weeks moves, are on the roster. Higgins, who is moving into the twighlight of his career, Kassian, who is a project player, and Booth, who is going to be bought out.

Worst draft record. Since his arrival only two of his picks have any measurable amount of NHL experience. Hodgson and Schroeder. Hodgson was traded and Schroeder cant break the lineup.

He hired a coach with a philosophy that is against how the team was built but made no changes to the core. The coaches philosophy is also against what the fan base in this town expects. Fans in this city will not stand for 2-1 slugfests over a long period of time. Thats what drove AV out of town.

No moves after 2 of the worst post season performances in team history, and a 0-6 home playoff games streak.

Botched the Abbotsford affiliate deal.

Drove two franchise goalies out of town, something this town has been craving since its arrival in the NHL.

And I suspect there will be no price cut for tickets next year. I can keep going if u like. Fact is, ive been asking all week on one thing he has done since trading for Higgins which has helped this club. Havent heard one.

Archived