The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Beneficial to tank next season?

asian player

You have to admit that Marchand and Lucic overachieved big time..They were diamonds in the rough and the Bruins hit the jackpot....Generally,cornerstone players are usually in the top 5....As an interesting sidenote,the Oilers have had countless picks in the top 5 and even though they are superb players..none of them are leaders (franchise players).

Well you'd have to say any 2nd round pick that reaches their level overachieved.

Even Kesler overachieved being a late 1st round pick that became a franchise player.

In the first round, outside of the top 3, there's so many players that aren't separated by much in terms of skill. It's their next 3 years of development that's crucial to what kind of player they become.

With more focus on that aspsect, I think the Canucks should produce a ton more talent than they have in the past.

The Oilers are not a comparable, because they've tanked for the wrong years and at times picked the wrong players. Hall is their best tank pick. Whoopdeedoo.

McDavid is twice the prospect Hall is. You freakin' TAAAAAAAAAANK for a guy like that.

That being said, the Canucks could have benefitted a lot in the past by not blatantly missing a lot of solid players in their own modest draft selections.

A lot of apologists would have you ignore that though, and would rather focus on short-sighted things like blaming the coach. Sigh...

Lmao you're an idiot. I missed one player who has been redundant and pretty much useless since he's gotten here and you act like I forgot something major. Figure out kid. The proposal is more than realistic.

yup. name calling is the answer. if all else fails attempt to belittle the opposition that'll work...

back to your lame proposal.

why would the wings want garrison? he hasnt done much and they've shown no interest in him as far as I know. they definitely wouldn't give up tatar gor him. tartar has looked incredible this year and is a big part of their futute. plus a thrid round pick for what??? because holland is feeling generous the day of the trade?

Well you'd have to say any 2nd round pick that reaches their level overachieved.

Even Kesler overachieved being a late 1st round pick that became a franchise player.

In the first round, outside of the top 3, there's so many players that aren't separated by much in terms of skill. It's their next 3 years of development that's crucial to what kind of player they become.

With more focus on that aspsect, I think the Canucks should produce a ton more talent than they have in the past.

It would be a lot easier to tank and draft kids with amazing tools than to stick with our core and hope to pick up late gems along the way

The Oilers are not a comparable, because they've tanked for the wrong years and at times picked the wrong players. Hall is their best tank pick. Whoopdeedoo.

McDavid is twice the prospect Hall is. You freakin' TAAAAAAAAAANK for a guy like that.

Timing is everything.

If they had started their tank two years sooner like alot of their fans wanted, they may have had Stamkos and Tavares.

Reinhart is not a guy you tank for, so I don't really care where we draft this year. If we win a few more games and end up drafting Virtnanen instead of Dal Colle, it's not gonna make a huge difference. Both players can be great if developed properly.

You either tank, or you pretend the Sedins will get going again.

If you try to add parts to this sinking ship, you lose assets. Let this core sink or swim next year, but don't sell the future in a trade or sign a huge price tag free agent (with a NTC, no doubt).

People tired of tank talk... with this core, what would you suggest we do?

It would be a lot easier to tank and draft kids with amazing tools than to stick with our core and hope to pick up late gems along the way

It's not easier to tank. We don't have a team that's bad enough to finish bottom 3, and there's too many contracts that can't be moved.

At best we might be able to get into the top 10. And even then there's no guarantee you get a impact player. There's been quite a few misses around that mark over the years.

The best thing this team can do is make sure they don't pass on the gem players if they do fall to them. Drafting Shinkaruk was one of those times I think they got it right.

yup. name calling is the answer. if all else fails attempt to belittle the opposition that'll work...

back to your lame proposal.

why would the wings want garrison? he hasnt done much and they've shown no interest in him as far as I know. they definitely wouldn't give up tatar gor him. tartar has looked incredible this year and is a big part of their futute. plus a thrid round pick for what??? because holland is feeling generous the day of the trade?

I like how you only picked out that one trade LMAO. Garrison is a top 4 D pairing and the Wings need one. Tatar and a 3rd is a fair price for a top 4 D at a 4.6m cap hit, unless they want to overpay someone like Andrew MacDonald in UFA who's corsi numbers suck. You're like one of those guys who sits in the back and does nothing but critisize others. Again the proposal is more than realistic, loser.

I like how you only picked out that one trade LMAO. Garrison is a top 4 D pairing and the Wings need one. Tatar and a 3rd is a fair price for a top 4 D at a 4.6m cap hit, unless they want to overpay someone like Andrew MacDonald in UFA who's corsi numbers suck.

I didnt want to waste too much of my time dissecting your piss poor half ass retool proposal.

but if you want I will. and why do the wings NEED a top 4 Dman? is garrison that key piece they need to win a cup in the next couple years? if you haven't noticed the wings are kinda in the same boat we are (just playing better) datsyuk bert kronwall and Zetterberg are all old. they cant even pull togather a healthy string of games. with that kind of aging core they'll need to retool soon as well.

You kids can keep your pride, I'm fine with going all in for McDavid or Eichel.

In today's NHL, superstar draft picks win you the cup (see Pittsburgh, Los Angeles, and Chicago, for evidence of that). It's up to the players to play their hearts out (only losers give up on the ice) but, if I'm Gillis (or whatever GM they replace him with), I rebuild this washed-up core and give myself every chance at a top 3 pick, by trading away our most valuable assets (if they'll wave their NTCs/NMCs). If we finish in the bottom three, we are gauranteed a potential superstar, in McDavid, Eichel, Hanifin, or Barzal.

Food for thought: since the begining of the salary cap era, only two teams (Detroit and Anaheim) won the Stanley Cup without a recent top two draft pick in their line-up (even though Anaheim drafted 2nd overall only two years prior).

Ahahh waste your time? what time do you have? you have almost 4k posts, LOSER. ahah kid just leave.

im 24 years old... what do you hink qualifies as a kid??

deniro has 20,000

vintage has like 60,000

you call them losers. I call them the people I talk hockey with...

im 24 years old... what do you hink qualifies as a kid??

deniro has 20,000

vintage has like 60,000

you call them losers. I call them the people I talk hockey with...

Ya, except you act like you have better things to do outside of this board after you chirp my proposal for forgetting to put someone as redundant as Kassian in the line-up and then go onto to say you dont want to dissect how its unrealistic when its not considering the reports from several sources and then you go onto dissect it anyway.

Kesler for Leddy, Shaw, Teravainen (from John Jaeckel a Hawks writer and from all the comments on the report, majority of Hawks fans are fine with it)

Edler for Joe Morrow and Bartkowski ( Again a report from the Boston Globe, I just switched out Spooner for Morrow)

Garrison for Tatar and a 3rd (I just based this on the fact Detroit has been looking for a top 4 D man hence all the speculation Det wanted Edler)

Now, again tell me where its unrealistic?

1. how often do you trade with rivals?

2. how often so you trade with the team that recently beat you in a game 7 in the scf?

3. i already told you why the wings dont do that. I dont even think they have enough cap space to do this...

1. how often do you trade with rivals?

2. how often so you trade with the team that recently beat you in a game 7 in the scf?

3. i already told you why the wings dont do that. I dont even think they have enough cap space to do this...

1. Are you actually serious? The Hawks and the Canucks aren't even in the same division. Confrence? ok, but we play them twice a year while we play Anaheim 5 or 6 and no one seemed to have a problem trading Kes to Anaheim at the deadline as long as we got a good deal. We need to take the best offer available and the Pens and the Ducks are delusional with the offers they offered at the deadline.

2. Again, are you joking me? The Bruin's aren't even in the same conference and because we lost in the finals to them 3 YEARS ago we cant't make a trade with them?

3. So you know Ken Holland personally I assume? The Wings want a top 4 D man hence why they went after Edler. And this trade would happen in the off season where they have 3.7m cap space now and have guys like Alfredsson, Cleary, Quincey, Legwand etc coming off the books.

Again quit posting and making yourself look like an idiot.

Archived