The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tortorella: "As a coach, this is my responsibility"

TheRussianRocket.

And a much worse record and injuries his style of play created and burnt out star players,and a few players he really p's off unnecessarily and a suspension that made him look like the dufus that he is and it is only six months in on the job.

sometimes I really enjoy your posts nucknit.

It isn't about the players. It isn't about the coach. It isn't about the GM.

It's about the system.

Dump & chase is an inferior system to puck possession.

We need to be able to come up with pucks we don't have but we need to stop voluntarily giving up the puck to begin with. If Torts could have recognized this then we'd be a playoff team still today, IMHO.

I would be trading the Sedins and Edler before i fired Torts.

This is the same team that got AV fired.

Same team , so maybe we should look at the GM.

Same here. Players with the largest contracts for their position on the team being complete liabilities.

Torts is accountable for his position. Something the captain could learn from..... Nah. Too late

^^^^^*

The twins get a lot of crap that they don't deserve, we are a one line team- the twins. Any team can stop one line if there is nothing else they have to be concerned about. They are hurting because the team sucks and we have no second line. Add a second line and the twins will get back on pace.

So the twins can't score for a quarter season because Kesler doesn't have appropriate linemates?

But Kesler can score even when the first line is dry. Hmmmmmm.

AV had the same team, but with less depth and he was ok. Funny, I say depth and then I will see Weber playing wing on the 4th line. I really don't get it either... The only thing that changed was Tortz in all of this. This much is easy to say.

The same team? The players that are still here were younger, having contract years, or winning awards plus we lost Torres, Lappiere, Samuelson, Raymond, Salo, Ehrhoff and others I'm forgetting - a lot of secondary scoring. A lot.

No, not the same team at all thanks to MG, and after 2011, when AV actually had many of the same players that Torts is stuck with now they had already started their downward spiral - ie, they'd already been rode hard and put away wet.

MG has ruined this team - he signed Lou to a DiPietro contract, gave him the C, and an NTC. The next year the C is gone. The next year Schneider is getting a lot of starts. Then AV telegraphs that Scneider is the new king, then Lou goes one the "block", then Schneider is the one traded, then Lou is traded. These players must have whiplash after what MG has done here.

I completely disagree. Yea contracts are a bit pricy but don't shoot us in the foot. They're out franchise players and best to lace up the skates for this team. They will be mentors nearing the end of the career and can still chip in offensively; it's just been an off year for them and case in point is everyone is having an off year. Trade away the Sedin's = Oilers 2.0, have no one to help the kids develop.

Look at the Sharks for instance, they were at a point where everyone wanted Thornton and Marleau gone and wanted to pass the torch onto other players but management kept them and it's worked beautifully. They are still contributing, helping the kids, and have a lot of promise.

This idea of paying two underachieving players $7 M a season to contribute and mentor the young kids is exactly how a team becomes a basement dweller. They were paid to lead this team and remain a scoring tandem. They have failed that.

Wasting huge amounts of cap space on declining assets is backwards especially when this team looks lost. Leaderless really.

What's done is done though and the fallout from this season will be more acutely obvious this summer

It isn't about the players. It isn't about the coach. It isn't about the GM.

It's about the system.

Dump & chase is an inferior system to puck possession.

We need to be able to come up with pucks we don't have but we need to stop voluntarily giving up the puck to begin with. If Torts could have recognized this then we'd be a playoff team still today, IMHO.

While I agree with premise that this team wasn't built to play dump and chase hockey, they could still be at least somewhat more effective at it if they bothered to forecheck properly.

It's March and one of the players mentioned last week that they were still trying to figure out how the forecheck system should be executed because, by their own admission, they were doing their own thing out there. Either that's a serious indictment of the coaching staff's ability to teach or the players just simply aren't listening.

I can't say for sure which one it is but this Canucks group should at least be professional enough to work as a unit.

This idea of paying two underachieving players $7 M a season to contribute and mentor the young kids is exactly how a team becomes a basement dweller. They were paid to lead this team and remain a scoring tandem. They have failed that.

Wasting huge amounts of cap space on declining assets is backwards especially when this team looks lost. Leaderless really.

What's done is done though and the fallout from this season will be more acutely obvious this summer

Lol, they are just having one bad season and that's after the month if December when both got hurt. You seem like a very short-term guy and would make changes in days if things didn't work out. Lightning should trade Stamkos too...he's doing nothin atm, oh wait... :lol:

Archived