The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Mike Zalewski

Vrienzy

Another college signing. Gillis is gold at these, have full faith in this signing.

Edit: guy seems very intelligent. He's a old school PF (the best kinds). Always ready to drop the mitts, would prefer a big hit over a big goal, and has a massive frame. Ontop of that, he's very hard to knock off the puck and defend and has solid hands for a big guy especially infront.

Moneyball signing...here's to hoping he just pans out and this is a win. MG doing his thing again! :)

Glad we got that guy. He could be a good player one day... maybe even worthy enough to be able to trade away for a 5th rd pick, if he makes it to the NHL. Unless of course he doesn't want to leave.

This is theeeeeee ____ ____ _____ ____ __ ____ ____ __ ___ __ __ ______...

Fill in the blanks to receive your free cereal toy!!

Gillis is good at these so I'll trust him on it. Hopefully a solid 3 or 4th liner in the future for us

I'll take that point and agree with it. Curious as to position?

seems to be a center... took the last sec Faceoff for team in Mayor Cup.

fought a little @0:25 of the video

#19 btw.

Did you see that idiot coach looking like a Sestito brother? :)

probably a decent signing all round

even if he never makes the nhl

the canucks have to establish a better core of AHL players in Utica

so there is proper competition and a quality team to help develop and push our elite prospects

if our AHL team is not successful how can we really expect many players to be elite at the NHL level

any steps to increase our overall player depth in the organization is sold in my view

good job MG

Could the team not sign a couple snipers please? Yes I know they signed fox but how bout someone who can SCORE goals!!!

Yeah, Gillis should walk down to the pure goalscorer factory, order like 6 of them, and sign them all. Because it is that easy to find pure sniper players who will succeed at the NHL level, and he is an incredibly horrid GM for not doing so earlier.

MG has sure supplemented the drafting with these free agents.

Welcome to the Nucks Mike.

I still think the org could use some more Finnish.

Ahti Oksanen, D
Sophomore, Boston University (Hockey East)

Ahti Oksanen has been arguably the most consistent player on a struggling Boston University team this season. Although he’s been on the scouting radar for quite some time, Oksanen’s developmental progress and numbers are making NHL teams pay closer attention to him this season.

The Kirkkonummi, Finland native currently ranks second on the team with 24 points (seven goals, 17 assists) in 35 games to date. His four power-play goals lead the Terriers, while his 17 assists co-lead the team. Oksanen, who has played much of the season as senior Garrett Noonan’s (NSH) defensive partner, logs upwards of 20-25 minutes of ice time per game playing in all situations. He is as effective on the penalty kill as he is on the power-play.

Oksanen is an excellent skating, two-way defenseman with size (6’3”, 207 lbs.) who possesses excellent puck-moving ability and has improved his decision-making with the puck. He shows good poise and patience with the puck and can make crisp, tape-to-tape passes. He can also quarterback the power-play quite well, too.

One of Oksanen’s attributes that has really gotten the attention of scouts is his shot, particularly from the point. He possesses a very hard shot and can get pucks to the net. For a man his size, Oksanen skates remarkably well. His improved footwork has added to his overall speed and allows him to be quicker in transition. On the defensive side, Oksanen has made great strides in his one-on-one play. He uses his strengthened frame and added grit effectively in limiting time and space. He is also an outstanding shot-blocker.

Perhaps draft Julius Honka - maybe the best puck mover in the upcoming draft... a Fin who wears the #6 :excl:

Players that are/should be in the minors next year - Eriksson, Cannata, Shinkaruk, Gaunce, Fox, Mallet, Tommernes, Kenins, Cassels, Grenier, Blomstrand, Lain, McEneny, Corrado, Blain, Friesen, Stuart, Ferriero, DeFazio, Welsh, O'Reilly* (Comets contract but UFA and should be getting a NHL contract from the Canucks if they think he's an important part to the AHL team, to keep him there)... guys like andersson and sauve ...

Shinkaruk - O'Reilly - Grenier
Mallet - Gaunce - Fox
Stuart - Lain - Ferriero
Welsh - Cassels - Blomstrand

Then you got guys like Zalewski, Archibald, and a lot of these guys that are still playing in college ... seems like a log jam to be honest.

what happens to Schroeder, Dalpe? (UFA)

Even the player the Canucks got for Mullen - Costello, I can see the Canucks trying to form them selves a bottom 6 like the Kings have ..

It'll be interesting.

Oh yeah, i tweeted Craig Button, you can see on his timeline that he labels Zalewski as just a project player nothing more

Archived