The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Mike Zalewski

Vrienzy

Stawns played for the Vipers? What years?

I meant Zalewski's time with the Vipers. Stawns lives in that neck of the woods (I was born out there) and knew Volpatti's game well. The same goes for another former Canucks project player, 6'5" Stefan Schneider.

I meant Zalewski's time with the Vipers. Stawns lives in that neck of the woods (I was born out there) and knew Volpatti's game well. The same goes for another former Canucks project player, 6'5" Stefan Schneider.

Ah, I see - my bad on the reading comp front...

On another note - I taught a kid that went on to play in Vernon with Zalewski and he said Zalewski was a pretty decent guy and player. It would be pretty sweet to see him turn into a regular NHL'er at some point in the future.

Ahri Oksanen

Boston University is done for the season

Oksanen can be signed....anyday now.

Gillis is doing great a stocking the cupboards with forwards....lets fill up the defence too please.

Corrado

Hutton

Cedartree

seem to be the thin after that

Subban?

Subban?

you know...After I posted that, I was just counting down till someone called me on that exact name

I have a huge respect for Jordan this year and he is doing quite well on a bottom team. Man o man that team fell far from where it was last year.

surely he gets more props if he was playing for Erie or Oshawa or a contending team

He is build like a freak but eeeeeesh....his height????

MY jury is still out until he hits a year or 3 of AHL

MG has sure supplemented the drafting with these free agents.

Welcome to the Nucks Mike.

I still think the org could use some more Finnish.

Ahti Oksanen, D

Sophomore, Boston University (Hockey East)

It's not too often we hear suggestions on who to sign that I'd consider, but he does sound like an interesting prospect. Like Zalewski he's only 21 and has played just 2 years of his eligibility, so his choice might be to go back for at least a 3rd, but I'd be interested to know more about him and potentially try to bring him in.

Curious if the Canucks are more attractive to these free agents this summer? Cause they suck (meaning more roster spots available likely next yr), Lack-Tanev-Archibald-Lain are all FA and have spent time with Canucks this yr, Gillis trumpeting that they need to get younger etc.

From SBNation's College Hockey Blog:

The RPI sophomore is a big-bodied winger that has the potential to be a great bottom six forward at the NHL level. He is very strong along the wall, brings a physical presence to the ice and can really muck it up and grind it. He's scored eight goals this season, including two on the penalty kill, but he has the potential to make a living as a third or fourth line winger in the pros.

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2014/3/14/5509958/rpis-mike-zalewski-signs-with-vancouver-canucks

They also have him at #32 on their 2014 list of the "NCAA Top 100 NHL Prospects":

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2014/3/4/5393448/ncaa-top-100-nhl-prospects-21-40-free-agent-nhl-draft

Interestingly, that ranking would put him at #3 of the current undrafted/unsigned NCAA prospects included in their "Top 100" (as 37 of their top-40 prospects were already property of an NHL team).

Also of interest, the #32 ranking puts Mike Zalewski one spot ahead of Calgary 2012 1st Round Pick (#21 overall) Mark Jankowski (he ranks #33 on the same list).

It also puts him ahead of several prospects who have current Hockey's Future ratings (for those familiar with their system) of 7.0 C or better.

EDIT: Here's an RPI-TV compilation of Zalewski's 2013-14 Home Goals:

Also of interest, the #32 ranking puts Mike Zalewski one spot ahead of Calgary 2012 1st Round Pick (#21 overall) Mark Jankowski (he ranks #33 on the same list).

Jankowski may only be 19, but still have to have a chuckle over this one.

And that Olli Maata was taken the spot after him in the draft...

oh well just keep restocking the farm .This one may have a long haul to get to the big club, as our inventory of quality players that will arrive soon ,as this summer If they decide to keep horvat up with big club,Jenson should be shoe in for big club duty also an does not appear that MG will deal anyone this summer except bit part role players only ,so I expect no changes or little to none except minor signings.

you know...After I posted that, I was just counting down till someone called me on that exact name

I have a huge respect for Jordan this year and he is doing quite well on a bottom team. Man o man that team fell far from where it was last year.

surely he gets more props if he was playing for Erie or Oshawa or a contending team

He is build like a freak but eeeeeesh....his height????

MY jury is still out until he hits a year or 3 of AHL

I'd argue his numbers are pretty respectable given the crap team he's on right now. If he grows a few more inches, i think most of us will be happy with the way he pans out.

Is this guy going to play for us this year?

By "us" do you mean the Canucks?

I wonder about that myself. I haven't delved too deeply into it but I did read a couple things that gave me a moment's pause.

First, that Zalewski was apparently joining the Canucks for the road trip.

It would appear that he was at least in the press box for the Lightning game (he's listed among the healthy scratches). I haven't been keeping up with the practice roster but it would seem that he's skating with the team (at least for now).

Second, that several of the local stories out of RPI have made statements to indicate that Zalewski is leaving college for an immediate shot at playing NHL hockey with Vancouver. Whether this means actual icetime this season is really difficult to say right now. I wouldn't be surprised if the Canucks give him (and some of the other young guys in their system) some trial games with the big club once they're mathematically eliminated from the playoffs.

I think it's a fair bet to assume that he'll see the ice after the Canucks have officially missed the playoffs. Until that point, however, I think that management hopes to maintain the illusion of competing all-out for the postseason. Playing a raw rookie (and an unheralded one at that--at least outside of US college circles) might not fit with the overall image this club tries to put forth.

Personally, however, I'd be more interested and invested in these last dozen or so games if the Canucks were auditioning some new players and giving any available rookies and prospects a shot at some NHL game time.

But I doubt that the general fairweather fan base shares this kind of view.

EDIT: I'm talking about the kind of people who recognize less than 75% of the Canucks player names in the game day programs. I'd imagine that most CDCers who frequent the "Trades" forum would also be interested in seeing these guys play.

By "us" do you mean the Canucks?

I wonder about that myself. I haven't delved too deeply into it but I did read a couple things that gave me a moment's pause.

First, that Zalewski was apparently joining the Canucks for the road trip.

It would appear that he was at least in the press box for the Lightning game (he's listed among the healthy scratches). I haven't been keeping up with the practice roster but it would seem that he's skating with the team (at least for now).

Second, that several of the local stories out of RPI have made statements to indicate that Zalewski is leaving college for an immediate shot at playing NHL hockey with Vancouver. Whether this means actual icetime this season is really difficult to say right now. I wouldn't be surprised if the Canucks give him (and some of the other young guys in their system) some trial games with the big club once they're mathematically eliminated from the playoffs.

I think it's a fair bet to assume that he'll see the ice after the Canucks have officially missed the playoffs. Until that point, however, I think that management hopes to maintain the illusion of competing all-out for the postseason. Playing a raw rookie (and an unheralded one at that--at least outside of US college circles) might not fit with the overall image this club tries to put forth.

Personally, however, I'd be more interested and invested in these last dozen or so games if the Canucks were auditioning some new players and giving any available rookies and prospects a shot at some NHL game time.

But I doubt that the general fairweather fan base shares this kind of view.

EDIT: I'm talking about the kind of people who recognize less than 75% of the Canucks player names in the game day programs. I'd imagine that most CDCers who frequent the "Trades" forum would also be interested in seeing these guys play.

ugh, they're the worst.

Archived