The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Nucks fall just short

TheRussianRocket.

I think the games need to be split by the goalies to develop both of them unless management is planning to trade Markstrom. Kassian is becoming more and more of a liability with those dumb penalties and Sestitto is no different.

At least Burrows looks like he's getting some fire back.

What penalty did Kassian take tonight?

Excellent battle for a banged up team. 41-21 shots in favour Vancouver but Lack, lacking consistency. Seems to be all over the crease and out of position at times.

Playoffs are virtually done. Have to win 12 of last 13 to make it. At least the young guns are looking good...very inpressive since they have to step up for missing players and it's only a positive. Jensen and Schroeder amazing, Matthias and Kassian also...future looking good! :)

I would hope we get a return to challenge those 2..or why trade him.

I think we will.

But no one that'd be above being challenged by those 2 and maybe 3 if Santorelli gets thrown back into the mix.

AND ESPECIALLY BUT I'd hope that if the Canucks have an option to get a better quality return without an NHL centre than the offers they get with one they'd take the former. They really need to look at high end scoring to replace the Sedins. As far as potential goes the Canucks could probably get a lot more for Kesler if they were willing to take nonNHL ready players in return rather than pushing for that guy that has less potential but already has experience in the NHL.

If a team was willing to give up one or two blue chips that'll be playing the Juniors for at least another season and one or two first round picks (2015 mandatory), I'd be quite happy. Definitely over Brandon Sutter, Derek Pouliot, and their 2014 1st.

Something like Scott Laughton, 1st 2014, 1st 2015 for Ryan Kesler.

Getting a high draft pick this year is a blessing. This team is not as bad of a regular season team as they have shown so far - significant injuries, unbelievable cold streaks for top players, plus adjusting to a new belligerent coach have created a unique circumstance for this team - the ability to have a top tier draft pick.

Having cheered for this team for over 30 years I cant think of another season where I felt content with losing in the stretch run. Short term pain for long term gain. The notion that this cast of characters with their current predicament can sneak into the playoffs and upset one of the western conference powerhouses that are firing on all cylinders is not realistic.

Look at the big picture, Winnipeg, Ottawa, Carolina and Nashville all have games in hand. Canucks could fall down to the 6th pick. I dont see them getting higher than 6th because the atrocious alberta clubs are too far behind even though their play has improvedlately.

This is the situation as of right now:

21 Vancouver 69 30 29 10 26 70

22 Winnipeg 67 30 28 9 24 69

23 Ottawa 65 28 25 12 25 68

24 Carolina 66 29 28 9 28 67

25 Nashville 66 28 28 10 27 66

26 Calgary 66 26 33 7 22 59

27 NY Islanders 68 25 34 9 19 59

28 Florida 66 24 35 7 17 55

29 Edmonton 68 23 36 9 20 55

30 Buffalo 66 19 39 8 13 46

So Dallas could lose to tougher teams coming up and we win 3 or 4 against easier teams and we are right back in it. Not giving up yet.

They have been playing the easier teams! 6 of the last 7 were against non-playoff teams. 5 of the 6 non-playoff teams had records equal or worse than the Canucks. Their record is 2-5.

They had better beat some playoff teams because after the next 4 the schedule gets very difficult until the last two against Edmonton and Calgary.

I think we will.

But no one that'd be above being challenged by those 2 and maybe 3 if Santorelli gets thrown back into the mix.

AND ESPECIALLY BUT I'd hope that if the Canucks have an option to get a better quality return without an NHL centre than the offers they get with one they'd take the former. They really need to look at high end scoring to replace the Sedins. As far as potential goes the Canucks could probably get a lot more for Kesler if they were willing to take nonNHL ready players in return rather than pushing for that guy that has less potential but already has experience in the NHL.

If a team was willing to give up one or two blue chips that'll be playing the Juniors for at least another season and one or two first round picks (2015 mandatory), I'd be quite happy. Definitely over Brandon Sutter, Derek Pouliot, and their 2014 1st.

Something like Scott Laughton, 1st 2014, 1st 2015 for Ryan Kesler.

Centre could be a huge logjam next year with Richardson and Santo back and the new kids coming.

People complaining about Lack are being a little unfair. Luo and Schneider both have let in plenty of similar goals. Point is, the kid needs to play and go through these types of growing pains if we want him to become a consistent NHL starter. He has the foundation to be a solid goalie.

Just let the guy and Rollie work through the kinks

If they can pick an impact player in the top 7 or 8 this year nobody will remember missing the playoffs this year. Short term pain for long term gain. I would rather have had two picks in the top 10 last year (this includes the NJ pick they got for Schneider) than limping into the playoffs only to be butchered and humiliated in 4.

Now the question is - will Gillis still be the GM?

I think the Aquilinis keep one of Gillis or Torts just because of their contract dollars. They will have to cough up 16 million (I think) if both get canned....thats a lot of money.

Gillis is showcasing his young guys so Aquaman can see he has a plan for the future. Matthias, Jensen, Lack, Schroeder Kassian could determine Gillis's future with how they play these last 13 games.

Getting a high draft pick this year is a blessing. This team is not as bad of a regular season team as they have shown so far - significant injuries, unbelievable cold streaks for top players, plus adjusting to a new belligerent coach have created a unique circumstance for this team - the ability to have a top tier draft pick.

Having cheered for this team for over 30 years I cant think of another season where I felt content with losing in the stretch run. Short term pain for long term gain. The notion that this cast of characters with their current predicament can sneak into the playoffs and upset one of the western conference powerhouses that are firing on all cylinders is not realistic.

Look at the big picture, Winnipeg, Ottawa, Carolina and Nashville all have games in hand. Canucks could fall down to the 6th pick. I dont see them getting higher than 6th because the atrocious alberta clubs are too far behind even though their play has improvedlately.

This is the situation as of right now:

21 Vancouver 69 30 29 10 26 70

22 Winnipeg 67 30 28 9 24 69

23 Ottawa 65 28 25 12 25 68

24 Carolina 66 29 28 9 28 67

25 Nashville 66 28 28 10 27 66

26 Calgary 66 26 33 7 22 59

27 NY Islanders 68 25 34 9 19 59

28 Florida 66 24 35 7 17 55

29 Edmonton 68 23 36 9 20 55

30 Buffalo 66 19 39 8 13 46

It's not just the pick that makes this season worth while. It has shown that a number of the core are on the decline and room needs to be made on the roster for some of the youth who are being showcased now. Next season would be worth another playoff miss if the team starts to re-tool with the likes of Matthias, Jensen, Corrado, Horvat, Kassian starting to take the reins.

It's not just the pick that makes this season worth while. It has shown that a number of the core are on the decline and room needs to be made on the roster for some of the youth who are being showcased now. Next season would be worth another playoff miss if the team starts to re-tool with the likes of Matthias, Jensen, Corrado, Horvat, Kassian starting to take the reins.

Good points.

There is more to be positive about - Fox 1 goal one assit, Gaunce 2 goals 1 assist, Horvat 1 goal tonight in the OHL.

This Fox kid, even as an over ager, is lighting it up - has a big lead in OHL scoring.

Point is that there is going to be a huge transition from the old guard to kids in the next 3 years. If Kesler can be delt for at least one young impact player it will even be better.

Eddie Lack is a ROOKIE. He's been asked to play too many games over the last little while. The team has sucked, and yet somehow Lack still gets singled out (by a select few posters).

Does that not bring back memories to that other goalie we had, remember he sucked big time according to most....what was his name..? Lulongo I think Cherry used to call him...lol !

4 pts back but they are playing right now leading 3-1 in the 3rd against the Flames...So they win they will be 6 pts ahead, 3 games in hand

It's a given Dallas beats the Flames.Probably have by the time I get a connection.

Potential of 12 points spread and the Nucks have 13 games left to play.

Correct decision to sit Kes so he is healthy this summer.

28th PP

29th GG

27th GF

Archived