The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Losing culture

asian player

I hear a lot of people saying getting into a losing culture and mentality can hurt us in the long run and Edmonton is thrown in as an example each time. Yes, Edmonton had high picks in the past few years, but their string of 1st overall picks didn't land them amazing players. They landed Hall, RNH, and Yakupov but none of them are real franchise players.

With the exception of Boston, all of the recent contenders had a string of losing seasons before they started to win. LA, Chicago, Pittsburgh, and Colorado had several losing seasons.

The one thing I'm not sure about is the effect it could have on younger players. Stamkos, Duchene, and Doughty have fought through terrible seasons when they were rookies and they came back the next year and exploded in their sophmore years. However, there are all the guys the oilers have drafted and you have to wonder how they would've done on other teams.

Can anyone give me some insight on how bad seasons effect players?

all you are going to get in response is guesses by people who think they know what they are talking about, but really know no more than you.

Makes one wonder why people even bother posting their opinions, since they apparently are all meaningless in the eyes of 'butters'

Yakupov yes I agree...RNH is coming off shoulder surgery this past off season and is still only 20 years old so I'd give him another year or 2...But Taylor Hall..??...Do you even watch hockey..?...He led the Western conference in scoring last season and is one of a handful of players to average more than a PPG over the last 2 seasons and plays hard every night...

The difference between Edmonton and the teams you mentioned is that the management kept giving people the idea that it's not about now, it's about the future. They brought in a friggin TV show to chronicle the kids development called Oil Change. The losing culture came from sucking, and management giving the team a message of "it's okay to suck right now. It is expected. You will be good in the future."

When Pat Quinn took over the Canucks. The team stores were called "Winning Spirit". He wanted the philosophy and mentality to translate into the team. Even the radio ads were talking about "Now after rebuilding, that Winning Spirit catches fire!"

That competitive fire, and positive mentality started filtering to the team and even jaded fans like me. After seeing Kirk Mclean stand on his head in the Montreal Forum and the Canucks beating the Canadiens at home, it got me believing.

I think the problem with Vancouver is we're too corporate not only in the lower bowl. But passion, fire, and desire to win seems lacking in the club. There's not even an identity for the team. That's why it's important to bring in new players, and draft not just ok players, but get GREAT players. Fans are not even allowed to be fans.

If you look at both Chicago and Boston they both have an identity outside of being original six teams. Boston had the slogan "Big and Bad are Back!"

Chicago had the "One Goal" series. These helped form an identity and I think helped with a winning culture. Of course you can't just force that on your team. You have to have the players, coaches, and management working together to make the best team possible.

Here's some examples.

Too much pressure early on to play important roles instead of getting to develop in the minors. Not every top prospect is ready to step in right away at 18 or 19 to play regular minutes so those who aren't ready suffer in their development.

For players in general, eventually the good guys are traded for younger but lesser guys who may or may not pan out. If they don't, then the other decent guys still around get frustrated with losing too and so they get traded, until the deck's been shuffled and no (or only inadequate) leadership is shuffled in. Think of Nash and Iggy after they demanded trades; it was because they had no support! That's why it's important to keep some decent core intact in order to stay competitive and avoid creating a losing culture. With gap year guys (e.g. UFA's) playing regular minutes it can allow for transitioning for the kids to move from Junior to the AHL then finally the big club (if they're ready).

It must be quite frustrating. Dream of playing in the NHL and winning the cup but end up losing more and missing the playoffs every year. If I was a young NHL player, I think I would be frustrated and annoyed. But I guess having (some) poor seasons can be a good thing, they can learn how to play with that frustration and (hopefully) use it to play better

Makes one wonder why people even bother posting their opinions, since they apparently are all meaningless in the eyes of 'butters'

ya opinions on some things from some people are meaningless. If you are going to comment on losing culture and its effects on players, you better have been involved with sports at the professional level. Otherwise your opinion is just a hunch based on nothing and is probably wrong.

But Taylor Hall..??...Do you even watch hockey..?...He led the Western conference in scoring last season and is one of a handful of players to average more than a PPG over the last 2 seasons and plays hard every night...

No he didn't..

The Pens and Hawks used to have a culture of losing....

These things come and go for all teams and someday the Oilers will be a good team again. (as soon as they figure out that the BPA is not always the best choice on draft day)

For that matter, so will the Canucks.

It was the fact that the oiler players were put on the ice and allowed to do what ever they wanted. Go out there and have fun, win or lose, was their motto, (it was to help build player confidence). Only problem is, it also created bad habits. And now 4 years latter it's hard to break those bad habits. When Kings and even the Hawks were losing, it was still unacceptable, they were taught to play with a winning mentality, go into every game and do what it takes to win, not just go out their and score a pretty goal.

Archived