The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Losing culture

asian player

When Pat Quinn took over the Canucks. The team stores were called "Winning Spirit". He wanted the philosophy and mentality to translate into the team. Even the radio ads were talking about "Now after rebuilding, that Winning Spirit catches fire!"

That competitive fire, and positive mentality started filtering to the team and even jaded fans like me. After seeing Kirk Mclean stand on his head in the Montreal Forum and the Canucks beating the Canadiens at home, it got me believing.

I think the problem with Vancouver is we're too corporate not only in the lower bowl. But passion, fire, and desire to win seems lacking in the club. There's not even an identity for the team. That's why it's important to bring in new players, and draft not just ok players, but get GREAT players. Fans are not even allowed to be fans.

If you look at both Chicago and Boston they both have an identity outside of being original six teams. Boston had the slogan "Big and Bad are Back!"

Chicago had the "One Goal" series. These helped form an identity and I think helped with a winning culture. Of course you can't just force that on your team. You have to have the players, coaches, and management working together to make the best team possible.

Here's some examples.

That's nice, but all this crap is marketing to get the fans excited. Professional players aren't going to get inspired by marketing campaigns.

Archived