The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

F1 2014 Season Underway !

Mr.DirtyDangles

Full story from F1

"Riccardo upbeat despite Australia disqualification"

Red Bull’s Daniel Ricciardo says he has only positives to take away from the season-opening race in Australia, despite losing his maiden podium finish to disqualification.

Ricciardo was excluded from second place in Melbourne after stewards determined that his car had run with too high a fuel flow rate - a breach of Article 5.1.4 of the 2014 technical regulations, which limits teams to a maximum fuel flow rate of 100kg per hour.

The Australian said the stewards’ decision - which Red Bull are appealing - had "put a downer" on his home Grand Prix, but when asked if there were any pluses to take away from the race he was adamant there were.

“Actually it's mostly positives,” he told Red Bull’s website. “I did a good job in the car and I got to stand on the Australian Grand Prix podium – and no-one's taking the sensation of doing that away.

“What happens next is outside of my ability to control but honestly, I'd rather it went down like this than have retired from the race with a mechanical problem. I'll take a podium and a subsequent disqualification over that any day of the week.”

With Red Bull suffering severe technical issues with the Renault-powered RB10 in pre-season testing, a podium finish in Australia seemed unlikely. Now, however, Ricciardo believes that with the team only beginning to unlock performance from their car, they have every chance of returning to the rostrum again soon.

“Albert Park's made me hungry to get on the podium again - and I think we've got a really good chance of doing it,” he said.

“The work we did in the winter targeted reliability rather than performance. It was only in Melbourne that we got the opportunity to start working on a set-up. The RB10 surprised us by being pretty competitive in the dry and very competitive in the wet. It's going to get much better as we dial it in over the next few races and catch up with those teams that did more miles pre-season.

“At the moment, we're in the battle to be the second-best team. Obviously that isn't where we want to be but it's exceeding our expectations of only a few weeks ago. I think once we really get into the setup of the car, we'll be able to close the gap to Mercedes. Obviously they're going to improve too but I think we're in a good position to make bigger strides.”

From Australia, Red Bull travel to Malaysia and a circuit on which they scored a dominant, if controversial, one-two finish in 2013. On that occasion Sebastian Vettel defied team orders instructing him to hold station and passed team mate Mark Webber for the win.

More News Direct from F1

Kobayashi cleared over first-lap accident

Caterham’s Kamui Kobayashi has been cleared of any blame over his first-lap clash with Williams’ Felipe Massa in Australia in Sunday.

The Japanese driver had been summoned to the stewards after crashing into the back of Massa’s car as the pair approached the first corner of the race, eliminating both cars on the spot.

However, having reviewed technical data provided by Caterham, the stewards determined that the incident was ‘caused by a serious technical failure completely outside the control of the driver’.

Caterham have been directed to work with the FIA technical delegate Jo Bauer to determine the cause of the systems failure.

Kobayashi explained on Twitter that no rear brakes had been the problem, adding: "Sorry to Felipe but was not my mistake."

ONE HOUR TO GO FOR ROUND TWO IN MALAYASIA !

One of the most beautiful courses on the F1 calender

Sepang-International-Cirtual.jpg?itok=3Q

http://www.formula1.com/races/in_detail/malaysia_915/circuit_diagram.html

Qualifying - Hamilton storms to wet-weather pole in Malaysia

With heavy rain making conditions treacherous, it was Hamilton who came to the fore, producing a scintillating lap to edge Red Bull’s Sebastian Vettel for P1 and pull level with the great Jim Clark as Britain’s best qualifier.

Seems stupid to me that Bottas is penalized for "slowing" the driver behind him while in wet conditions and being "unaware", while Alonso gets no penalty for being unaware and causing a collision that brought out a red flag in Q2.

Politics in F1, gotta love it

Seems stupid to me that Bottas is penalized for "slowing" the driver behind him while in wet conditions and being "unaware", while Alonso gets no penalty for being unaware and causing a collision that brought out a red flag in Q2.

Politics in F1, gotta love it

F1, the only sport more politicized than the NBA and NHL.

One of the most boring races in modern F1 history. The most exciting thing I saw all weekend was the rain in qualifying.

Over the last dozen years this once-great sport has turned from a racing sport into a processional sport. All these idiotic gimmicks like 'going green', spending limits, testing limits, tyre limitations, fuel limitations, engine replacement limitations, weight limitations, it's all rubbish. Let the big teams spend what they want, let the drivers test as often as they want, let the cars be as heavy as they want...I WANT TO SEE RACING! OVERTAKING! AN ACTUAL CONTEST!

Gone are the days of Mansell vs Senna, Schumacher vs Hill/Villeneuve, even as late as Mika Hakkinen there was some racing going on. Quite how the likes of Juan Pablo Montoya would get on in this now I don't know, he'd drive around one-handed taking selfies and posting them on Twitter I imagine.

One of the most boring races in modern F1 history. The most exciting thing I saw all weekend was the rain in qualifying.

Over the last dozen years this once-great sport has turned from a racing sport into a processional sport. All these idiotic gimmicks like 'going green', spending limits, testing limits, tyre limitations, fuel limitations, engine replacement limitations, weight limitations, it's all rubbish. Let the big teams spend what they want, let the drivers test as often as they want, let the cars be as heavy as they want...I WANT TO SEE RACING! OVERTAKING! AN ACTUAL CONTEST!

Gone are the days of Mansell vs Senna, Schumacher vs Hill/Villeneuve, even as late as Mika Hakkinen there was some racing going on. Quite how the likes of Juan Pablo Montoya would get on in this now I don't know, he'd drive around one-handed taking selfies and posting them on Twitter I imagine.

Oh man hilarious !

Although I think the sport has held true in the sense of pushing the boundaries for F1 race technology. I agree with much of what you are saying. For some reason the environmentalists latched on to F1 even after cars is what 7th on the list for causes for green house emissions. Ecclestone was handcuffed by sponsors to make it green. Laughable agreed. It is AUTO RACING ! It is an extravagant sport. Let the money fly and the track records fall.

I really like Ama SuperBike Racing. It is balls out 2 wheel mastery. Small manufacturer teams and a few privateers with boat loads of cash vying for bragging rights. I think F1 needs to tone it down a few notches and get back to some grass roots racing. All these features like DRS and KERS level out the playing field for the lesser skilled and talented drivers.

And for the love of racing bring back the pneumatic shifters and the standard 7 speed gear box. All the drivers want it. It is crazy how technology is always trying to mimic analog and organic feel by digital means ? They should stay raw but use the best materials. Let the drivers fight it out with equal cars and no aids except for maybe traction and ABS.

I watched a few F1 greats from other eras drive a newer F1 car and all said it felt almost effortless compared to their cars. I will still watch and still enjoy the sound and the spectacle of it all. The tech and engineering is awesome. There are a few amazing drivers it would be interesting to see who is the real McCoy in some less digitally controlled cars.

I cant say I'm surprised with Massa. He despises team orders after his time at Ferrari and was not going to let Bottas take the number 1 reigns so easily and early into the season. They need to settle it now before it turns cancerous for their team. If they can do better in qualifying they have a chance at finishing 4th in the constructors championship this year and earn a lot of money to develop the car for next year.

If you want to see racing where there is overtaking, I suggest you look toward NASCAR. A poor NASCAR race has more battles in 1 race than an entire F1 season.

If you want to see racing where there is overtaking, I suggest you look toward NASCAR. A poor NASCAR race has more battles in 1 race than an entire F1 season.

I just cannot watch 50 cars going around in a circle nose to tail for 300 hundred laps. 50 lap sprints with different heats like in many other oval series would be way more exciting. It lacks any sort of real race drama except for the pit battles and horrific 20 car pile ups imho. Nascar races are won in the pits. Those crews are unreal !

I do love the road course events in Nascar though awesome races to watch. They need about 15 more of those tracks, then i would be an avid fan.

I just cannot watch 50 cars going around in a circle nose to tail for 300 hundred laps. 50 lap sprints with different heats like in many other oval series would be way more exciting. It lacks any sort of real race drama except for the pit battles and horrific 20 car pile ups imho. Nascar races are won in the pits. Those crews are unreal !

I do love the road course events in Nascar though awesome races to watch. They need about 15 more of those tracks, then i would be an avid fan.

I somewhat agree. I don't mind the 500 milers, and at some tracks, the overtaking is incredible. For example, 2 weeks ago NASCAR was at Fontana, a big, wide, 2 mile long oval. Almost every lap there was a 3 wide battle in the middle of the corner for position. The restarts were quite the sight with cars running any grove from on the apron to right against the wall.

I also agree about needing more road courses, but they need to be the right kind of road courses. Currently, they race Sonoma and Watkins Glenn. The race at Watkins Glenn is always a better show because the course is high speed with multiple good passing zones. In contrast, Sonoma is like a short track road race. Slow, and very few places to pass. Personally, think NASCAR's top series at Circuit of the America's would be one hell of a show.

Thanks for the advice, but here in the UK we only show proper sports, not things like NASCAR B)

Actually, we do show athletics, so I take that back.

No way of watching NASCAR in the UK so in the absence of that, please bring back RACING to Formula One.

I guess I could get by watching my DVDs of Days of Thunder and Talladega Nights though :lol:

Thanks for the advice, but here in the UK we only show proper sports, not things like NASCAR B)

Actually, we do show athletics, so I take that back.

No way of watching NASCAR in the UK so in the absence of that, please bring back RACING to Formula One.

I guess I could get by watching my DVDs of Days of Thunder and Talladega Nights though :lol:

Hey Azzy out of curiosity and since you are obviously a racing nut. What is your favorite racing event or series to watch or enjoy ? I am huge on the BTCC it is still door handle to door handle out there. I also try never to miss the Dakkar Rally and the Isle of Mann TT.

Hey Azzy out of curiosity and since you are obviously a racing nut. What is your favorite racing event or series to watch or enjoy ? I am huge on the BTCC it is still door handle to door handle out there. I also try never to miss the Dakkar Rally and the Isle of Mann TT.

I watch the BTCC sometimes too, I used to love it as a kid but obviously all of the drivers I once followed (Tarquini, Cleland and Harvey) aren't in it anymore, so I struggle to maintain the same level of interest I once had. As you say it's still great racing, but it's lost it's shine for me.

I watch speedway these days more than anything else, all the races may look the same but you get overtaking and it's a fairly level playing field. Never a dull night watching the speedway.

I watch the BTCC sometimes too, I used to love it as a kid but obviously all of the drivers I once followed (Tarquini, Cleland and Harvey) aren't in it anymore, so I struggle to maintain the same level of interest I once had. As you say it's still great racing, but it's lost it's shine for me.

I watch speedway these days more than anything else, all the races may look the same but you get overtaking and it's a fairly level playing field. Never a dull night watching the speedway.

Gabriele was a master in his own right . For me it was Rouse in the Sierras in the mid to late 80's

7164458508_c79677344e_o.jpg

and recently Plato and Yvan Muller have really stood out in my mind as being some of the greatest but Giovanardi was brilliance on the track.

Archived