The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Separatist battle in Canada rekindled with Quebec election

key2thecup

I don't know about Justin but the separatists hated his father because he was a Federalist. Remember Pierre Trudeau used the War Measures Act to fight the FLQ terrorists and the separatists have not forgotten this.

He may not be popular with the separatists because of his father, but he is very popular with the residents of Quebec. Who at the end of the day decided their own future. All the separatists can do is spread their hate mongering propaganda.

Wow!

http://www.cbc.ca/newsblogs/community/editorsblog/2014/02/a-surprising-poll-in-quebec.html

This week CBC Montreal released the results of a CBC/Ekos poll that raised more than a few eyebrows. The poll looks at Quebecers' thoughts on whether to leave the province, or stay. And it examines their opinions about the province's proposed Charter of Secular Values.

The poll produced some surprising data. Among those surveyed, 51% of anglophones, 49% of allophones and 11% of Francophones have seriously thought about leaving Quebec in the past year. Political uncertainty/sick of politics, the economy/jobs, and taxes top the list of why they are considering leaving.

(For thread police Elvis)

The sad part the whole point behind it is just to have the politicians names placed in the history books. There's no benefit to it economically, culturally or otherwise.

If Quebec goes, as much as I'm loathe to say, Atlantic Canada should just join the US then.

Broker a deal with the US, Atlantic Canada for Alaska.

Then we can have Alaska to BC all the way to the Eastern Ontario border. Change the bills so Quebec can't have them. Give them their share of the debt. Within a decade they'll either beg to rejoin Canada or get swallowed up by the US. Their language laws will be deemed unconstitutional and any culture they might have will vanish in a couple of generations.

Seperatism is one of the biggest jokes around.

The sad part the whole point behind it is just to have the politicians names placed in the history books. There's no benefit to it economically, culturally or otherwise.

If Quebec goes, as much as I'm loathe to say, Atlantic Canada should just join the US then.

Then we can have Alaska to BC all the way to the Eastern Ontario border. Change the bills so Quebec can't have them. Give them their share of the debt. Within a decade they'll either beg to rejoin Canada or get swallowed up by the US. Their language laws will be deemed unconstitutional and any culture they might have will vanish in a couple of generations.

The USA would never do that lol. Alaska is way more valuable than eastern Canada. There is too much oil and gas in that region and well eastern Canada has lobsters?

They should look to the US and see what happens to minority cultures without our multicultural framework.

Having said that, they will probably willingly wear 3rd world country status before joining the US.

Who in their right mind would trade oil and minerals rich Alaska for debt ridden Atlantic Canada.

You mean who would trade a state isolated from the rest of the country that happens to have minerals and oil for partial control over the gulf of St. Lawrence river and most eastern port in NA?

I'm not saying it is an equal trade, but it offers very livable and expandable area, those provinces do not have a large population and the US' east coast is very populated. If all of a sudden all this extra land was available for expansion I believe a ton of americans would move up to Halifax, turn PEI into a retiree's cottage country.

Plus. Trailer Park Boys.

Not a very serious post.^

Only thing we will miss is the Olympians and Hockey players.

If Quebec were to separate (and I find it highly doubtful that they will) I think we might see a lot of Quebec-based Olympians relocate to "Canada".

Their funding comes from the Canadian government, not the Parti Quebecois...

So true. She's a racist hag

I wouldn't go as far as to call her a racist. She's more like a leftist wingnut who thinks her proposed charter is doing good by separating religion and state (which is good) when it's actually just an infringement on religious rights.

Quebec is already one of the top beneficiaries from Canada's federal fiscal transfers, but still end up running one of the highest deficits within the country, and yet they expect to keep receiving some of these benefits if they do in fact gain independence? What a joke. I can't take this separatist movement seriously until Marois and her government can come up with a solution where Quebec can survive on its own and grows a pair.

Archived