The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

We need to change the way we think before we become the Flames!

kacholu

I don't mind if the Canucks miss the playoffs. I'm okay with that. I know the players are too proud to be tanking the season. I do however think that us trying to make the post season will earn us a nice 9th place finish. With that said, why don't play our young guys like Kassian, Schroader (sp?) and stop playing Lack so to see what our other goalies have to offer. Also, why not bring up so players to make then taste the NHL.

We can't be stuck in the middle because it will get us no where. If we start winning with our young guys producing then great we have developed them nicely. If we loose more games then that's okay, better draft position. So it's a win win.

But now all we are doing is following the Flames.

next year

sedin sedin burrows

jensen kesler kassian

higgins horvat hansen

gaunce richardson matthias

buyout booth and have tons of caps space...sign hiller to help lack? either way we seem to be in a much better position than people think.

next year

sedin sedin burrows

jensen kesler kassian

higgins horvat hansen

buyout booth and have tons of caps space...sign hiller to help lack? either way we seem to be in a much better position than people think.

Kesler is no lock to be here next year. And with our huge question mark in net, and a further aging core, 2 or 3 rookies in the lineup, I could see us finishing lower in the standings than this year.

Pretty sure gillis knows this already op, or he's dumber then I thought. Gotta trade Kesler and edler before the draft. Keslers value is still very high. We should get a top 6-10 draft pick depending on how terrible the rest of the season goes.. Honestly this rebuild should take 2 years if it's done properly..

Team will be better next year. Also we will have lots of cap space so could sign some decent ufas

next year

sedin sedin burrows

jensen kesler kassian

higgins horvat hansen

Much better position?

We have 3 MAYBE 4 proven top 6 forwards, 3 full time rookies and zero toughness (Kassian doesn't count as he has decided to stop fighting and hitting).

Also fully agree with you OP.

You obviously know nothing about the flames and the reason why they were forced into a rebuild

You obviously know nothing about the Flames as the reason they are in their current situation is because they tried to force AGAINST a rebuild.

This is just dug themselves into a deeper hole until they were "forced" to make the right decision.

This is what the OP is pointing out. By spending some time in the bottom end of the standings we allow our top prospects to be put into key roles right away without the pressure of being a "contender". That allows quicker development while maintaining high draft rankings and stocking up on further top prospects.

This minimizes the suffering and avoiding a situation the Flames have gotten themselves into.

You obviously know nothing about the Flames as the reason they are in their current situation is because they tried to force AGAINST a rebuild.

This is just dug themselves into a deeper hole until they were "forced" to make the right decision.

Pretty much. Don't what he is talking about. Flames after their 2004 run were still a contender and people they will win the soon. Just like the Canucks after their 2011 run, Flames still made the playoffs as a top team like the Canucks, but made no progress and early outs just like the past 2 years for the Canucks.

Slowly they missed the playoffs finally and have ever since. Just like the Canucks will most likely miss the playoffs this year after a long time. They had a ton of NTC just like us, and waited too long to get full value for their guys, Iginla in particular.

If you ask me, very similar path so far as the Flames.

Pretty much. Don't what he is talking about. Flames after their 2004 run were still a contender and people they will win the soon. Just like the Canucks after their 2011 run, Flames still made the playoffs as a top team like the Canucks, but made no progress and early outs just like the past 2 years for the Canucks.

Slowly they missed the playoffs finally and have ever since. Just like the Canucks will most likely miss the playoffs this year after a long time. They had a ton of NTC just like us, and waited too long to get full value for their guys, Iginla in particular.

The people that don't see the resemblance is straight up in denial...I think we will do a better job than the flames however.This will be our first year missing the playoffs and we have already shipped out our version of kipper and look to be trading our version of iginla before the draft.The only problems are the stajan like NTCs on this team...

Did they have prospects like Jensen or Bo Horvat? A Ryan Kesler trade chip? It's almost impossible to turn into the Flames.

Uh, Kassian and Schroeder are playing, and we can't just call up guys without sending others down. If that's your plan, who do you suggest we put through waivers to make room, and who should we call up?

There's also the fact that Utica is trying to win games and cherry picking players from them for no discernible reason is not the best for their development.

All in all, a terrible thread.

This is what the OP is pointing out. By spending some time in the bottom end of the standings we allow our top prospects to be put into key roles right away without the pressure of being a "contender". That allows quicker development while maintaining high draft rankings and stocking up on further top prospects.

This minimizes the suffering and avoiding a situation the Flames have gotten themselves into.

Never mind the Flames, maybe we should ask Oilers fans about how spending time in the bottom of the standings, stocking up on top prospects and allowing them to be put into key roles right away has helped their team.

Top picks are no guarantee of future success. Having a hockey team is, and getting that means keeping vets in key positions and re-tooling on the fly versus a full rebuild then that's what we'll do.

The Edmonton tank comparison is available, but other teams have tanked and succeeded.

I like Hall, but Oilers picked the wrong guys otherwise. Landeskog is twice the man the Nuge is already and Yakupov's not going to be an 'Oiler for life' by any stretch. Agreed that players shouldn't be thrown in the fire right away though. Edmonton failed to support their tank picks and they failed to draft anyone substantial in later rounds. But they can recover. Hall's only 22.

I think the Canucks would do far better than the Oilers' tank job if they merely tanked in the right years. Like next year, for starters.

Never mind the Flames, maybe we should ask Oilers fans about how spending time in the bottom of the standings, stocking up on top prospects and allowing them to be put into key roles right away has helped their team.

Top picks are no guarantee of future success. Having a hockey team is, and getting that means keeping vets in key positions and re-tooling on the fly versus a full rebuild then that's what we'll do.

Pretty much this. I don't care what people say (and I don't hear anyone saying this), but the Oilers won't be any better next year, even if they manage to draft Ekblad. That is not a team one top 4 defenseman away from competing. That is a team that is 2 solid defensemen, and trading away some of their youth (ie: Yakupov, Eberle) for some solid experience. Tanking is not going to help. And the Flames model is not something that Canucks are doing either. Although the Canucks waited too long to get a better return for Luongo, they at least got something for him (see Kipper). And as good as Schneider is, he would not help this team make the playoffs now; so in hindsight, moving him for future (Horvat) I believe was the right move. The Canucks are doing well. The same cannot be said for the Flames (crap return for Bouwmeester, Iginla) and nothing for Cammelleri and Kipper).

Archived