The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

GDT: Around the NHL Week of March (17-21) 2014

wow .. what a blast by giroux to win it in o.t .. that was sheer will ..

When Giroux was named captain I was actually fairly disappointed at them for giving such a major role to another young player after how bad it turned out with Richards but he has earned my support. He always shows up in big games and backs up his words.

After the bad start to the season while they were in 30th place he came out and said the Flyers would make the playoffs then went on a rampage and the Flyers have gone 32-15-6 since he scored that first goal.

His career us still young but I love him as captain. He doesn't just say things just because it's what people want to hear he says what people want to hear then backs it up leading by example.

He leads the league in points since December 11, I think. G is quite the player, although he really is an afterthought in the 'best offensive player' discussion which is a bit sad.

I think his offensive image is well known with Eastern rivals but less known with Western teams. He had his 1 monster season 3 years ago then last year with the short season he didn't play any Western teams and even though he had 48 points in 48 games it was seen as a regression and the Flyers had a poor season in general. Though I think he will establish himself as a truly elite scorer this season. With his pace he could break 90 points and will get back on the playoff stage and for what it's worth Giroux has always been a great playoff performer. In fact every season he has made the playoffs his numbers have gone higher than his season numbers. He is a player who literally thrives in pressure situations.

The Blues become the first team in the NHL this season to reach 100 points with a 3-1 victory over the Jets last night.. Newly acquired Ryan Miller improved to 7-0-1 with a .933 Save % and 1.61 GAA. This is just the sixth time in franchise history that St. Louis has reached the 100-point mark!

The Panthers defeated the Sharks 3-2 tonight thanks to Roberto Luongo's 52 saves, his most since 2005! San Jose outshot Florida 29-2 in the third period. Meanwhile, Brandon Pirri, who was acquired on March 2nd from the Blackhawks for a 2014 3rd round pick and a 2016 5th round pick, has 7 points (3G,4A) in 5 games.

The NHL loves it's goalie controversies and the one in the Leafs' locker room is heating up again. Toronto's coach Randy Carlyle on Reimer performance in Detroit: "I thought he was ok. Just ok".

Reimer: "He said I was ok? I thought I was good".
Reimer's agent Ray Petkau: "As is customary in Toronto, when your team plays poor defensively game after game, you blame the goalie".

Top Blackhawks prospect Teuvo Teravainen is on his way to Chicago this week but the Hawks currently do not have the cap space for Finland's Gold winning WJC captain. It's unclear if Teravainen will play in the NHL before the playoffs and he could be sent to the AHL. It's believed that Teravainen is good enough to help Chicago now and could possibly be the second-line center behind Jonathan Toews.

Archived