The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

( VALUE OF ) JOHN TORTARELLA

I couldn't agree less.

Torts 'trap' hockey is boring, there's nothing interesting about shot blocking.

We need to go back to a puck possession type game and find players that will fight through the collapsed defensive blocking shot style so popular with non original US based teams (where the fans don't understand good hockey).

Cliff Ronning was only 5'6" I think lol

I do not believe our D-men are good enough for a puck possession style defence.

2010-11 Erhoff CURRENT Hamuis

Salo Edler

Hamuis Bieksa

Edler Garrison

Bieksa Tanev

Rome Stanton

Alberts Weber

Tanev Carrado

The way I see it, were short 2 quality offensive puck possession style D men

If you can't keep puck possession, cause IMO our team is not capable of doing so on a consistent basis because of roster personell, then how do you keep the puck out of your own net ?

Torts said at the beginning of the year that his goal was to teach our Canucks how to play defensive first, playoff style hockey so that when the playoffs come around its already second nature.

IMO that is exactly what was lacking from our Canucks the last 2 playoff appearances that we have had.

Aside from San Jose choking and escaping Chicago by the skin of our teeth the only round that we were sound defensively in 2010-11 was against Nashville, and even then I think that had more to do with Kesler playing in BEAST mode.

Boston just exposed our play for what it was, NOT SOUND DEFENSIVE FIRST HOCKEY, cause there is no Stanley Cup banner hanging in our building.

Every team to ever hoist the cup has had better defensive play then their opponents.

So ya maybe its boring right now, but when your in the playoffs and your team is winning, its not so boring then.

I guess LA would probably be the best current example of pure defense winning in the playoffs, and I bet you if you lived in LA and rooted for the Kings you would be more than happy with their boring defense first hockey

CAUSE YOU HAD A STANLEY CUP !

IMO AV just had us flying so fast nobody noticed we were headed down a dead end road, until we hit the end of the road !

I have been a Canuck fan and Hockey fan for almost 30 years, and I have never seen teams win the cup with out Defense.

That's what playing like a team is all about. Team Defense!

I may be one of the few supporters of torts on this board.. I think he is the right coach for a 'youth movement' when and if that actually happens. I think he is the right guy for Kassian, Jensen, Horvat, Shinkaruk, Corrado and whoever else comes up. I would say Tanev but he will be fine no matter who is behind the bench.

Everyone says Torts is the man for the job, but what exactly has he done since he got here? He might have taught a few guys how to stick up for themselves, but we're one of the lowest scoring teams in the league and we're about to miss the playoffs for the first time in a decade.

Boston just exposed our play for what it was, NOT SOUND DEFENSIVE FIRST HOCKEY, cause there is no Stanley Cup banner hanging in our building.

Ehrhoff wasn't particularly strong defensively. Boston took advantage of our injuries (on defence alone Hamhuis and Rome were out majority of series, Ehrhoff, Bieksa and Edler all playing with injuries) and inability to score.

Archived