The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should Eddie be in the conversation for the Calder?

Bilbro Baggins

I don't know if this has been discussed, but I lurk these forums pretty frequently and haven't seen anything. Despite some bumps in the road, Eddie has played incredibly this season and deserves some recognition. He has only played 34 games this year, yet has posted 4 shutouts and a respectable 2.34 GAA & .915 SV%. This all while playing in front of a mediocre-at-best Canucks lineup, where off-ice distractions have been more than abundant. Coupled with the fact that he was out for the majority of the season last year with major hip surgery, these numbers are beyond impressive. All of this in his first year of NHL play... Wow man, this guy is good.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8475663&view=stats

With the exception of MacKinnon and maybe Krug, I'd say Eddie has accomplished more in his first year than any other rookie. I'm not lobbying for Eddie to win the Calder, but I feel like a nomination (or at least consideration) is warranted.

And for good measure....

His raw pace isn't bad but when you look at the last goalies to win this award they all played 60+ games. Raycroft had much better numbers. Mason had similar numbers but had 10 shutouts. Nabokov had a lower GAA and had 6 shutouts. All of them had a good amount of wins. Mason and Nabokov 30+ wins and Raycroft at 29.

Plus this year has some pretty impressive rookies. I don't think he would really be considered or nominated unless he goes on a tear to end the season maybe.

I believe playoff performance don't influence the nominations or results

He's not talking about playoff performance. Just saying that if we get into the playoffs because of great goaltending down the stretch, then he should be considered.

While you can't just say he shouldn't even be discussed, he hasn't done enough as a backup to really warrant consideration over others. Kuemper has done as much if not more to this point (even if he's played fewer games) so it's not really anything that warrants deep analysis unless he posts a bunch of shutouts and wills us into the playoffs with sparkling play.

There has been discussion about it previously though.

Realistically he is in the conversation, whether he gets consideration league wide is up for debate. I doubt given our year and all that has happened in the goal position he is being lost in the static. It's too bad, I don't think he would or should win but I agree there should be consideration.

He's one hell of a goalie.

but; there is just no way.

It is Nathan Mackinnon's to lose.

Tomas Hertl would have been the main competition had he stayed healthy;

If the team had succeeded around him during so many injuries - I would have said yes.

TBL's Palat and Johnson have been gaining on MacKinnon for a while now. Wouldn't be surprised if one of them took over. Palat plays harder minutes, has more takeaways, and three times the hits.

Talk about hitting the lottery. A 7th rounder and an undrafted signing #2 & #3 in rookie scoring!

no chance to be honest of a nomination and it's a shame too because for a goalie to be considered they basically have to play 50-60 games and be top 5 in every goalie stat

i wish they did it 3 nominations 1 goalie 1 defenseman 1 forward

if he somehow wins every single game he plays and has top 5 stats in each category except wins which is impossible he may have a dark horse chance at it

If he can get them into the playoffs yeah, but if Mackinnon rips it up in the playoffs and Eddie is bad than you know the rest of the story..

Rookies, even top rookies, are hardly ever the difference between a team making the playoffs and not. That's a mighty big ask of any player, let alone a rookie.

Earning the #1 goalie in your first year over Roberto Luongo is quite a task.

I still don't think he will be nominated over a number of top rookies this year, but using the "if he gets them in the playoffs" argument is not very solid in my opinion.

Archived