The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anybody else cheering for Philly in the playoffs?

zejono

I absolutely despise Philly. The way they play and their retarded management they have their. In the East, Montreal is my number 1 team with the Rangers as my number 2.

In the west I'm cheering for Anaheim and Phoenix (always cheer for the underdogs)

I get why people hate how Philly plays the game but I never understood the constant hate of the management. Philly is one of the most consistently competitive teams in the NHL and has played in 3 ECF in the last 10 years (9 NHL seasons). They are aggressive and don't accept losing seasons and will spend money and burn money and bury a mistake as soon as possible without letting pride in the way. They are currently one of the more dangerously looking teams in the NHL while sporting a ridiculously young core.

How can management be be retarded yet consistently produce a strong well above average product?

I get why people hate how Philly plays the game but I never understood the constant hate of the management. Philly is one of the most consistently competitive teams in the NHL and has played in 3 ECF in the last 10 years (9 NHL seasons). They are aggressive and don't accept losing seasons and will spend money and burn money and bury a mistake as soon as possible without letting pride in the way. They are currently one of the more dangerously looking teams in the NHL while sporting a ridiculously young core.

How can management be be retarded yet consistently produce a strong well above average product?

hmm well lets see. They lock up bryzgalov long term only to buy him out. They give lecavalier a long term deal after just getting bought out. they still dont have a goalie. Mason has been good in like 30 games so Holmgren locks him up at a 4.1M cap hit. Makes sense right. They continue to sign and trade for forwards when their defense is crap. They give giroux 8 years at 8.25M after really only one superstar season. Imagine had San Jose done that with Cheechoo. The list goes on. If they match up with the penguins they have a chance, but if they get the rangers or Bruins they're done. Then they'll give Vanek 64 million in the offseason.

Not me. If and wehn the Canucks are eliminated from playoff contention, I will concentrate on the Whitecaps and Jays.

I'll follow the NHL playoffs, because I'm a fan but I won't be too brokenhearted to see anyone win or lose. I suppose I wouldn't mind seeing the Blues win their first Cup and I'd also be okay with seeing the Rags win, just to stick it to all the clowns who slagged AV for the past few seasons....

hmm well lets see. They lock up bryzgalov long term only to buy him out. They give lecavalier a long term deal after just getting bought out. they still dont have a goalie. Mason has been good in like 30 games so Holmgren locks him up at a 4.1M cap hit. Makes sense right. They continue to sign and trade for forwards when their defense is crap. They give giroux 8 years at 8.25M after really only one superstar season. Imagine had San Jose done that with Cheechoo. The list goes on. If they match up with the penguins they have a chance, but if they get the rangers or Bruins they're done. Then they'll give Vanek 64 million in the offseason.

So what though? Who cares about a bad or questionable contract if it doesn't hurt the team?

Philadelphia needed a goalie. They go get Bryz who at the time was the best goalie (statistically) on the market. Thanks Mr. Snider for not ignoring the teams needs.

Bryz turns into a headcase who is as bad at stopping pucks as he is sane. Flyers buy him out. Thanks Mr. Snider for admitting he did not work out and biting the bullet on the money.

I am not paying Bryz 51 million. Bryz contract isn't affecting the team now. So as a Flyers fan why do I care anymore? Or about Briere's contract?

The Flyers abuse loopholes. Should I care about Pronger's contract that is buried on LTIR? Should I have cared about Hatcher or Rathje's or Laperriere's contracts which each spent 1-3 years on LTIR?

Lupul, JVR, Carter, Richards... all extended and traded. JVR only having the poor return (mainly Luke not playing up to what he should be) But otherwise Lupul turns into Pronger, Carter and Richards turn into Simmonds, B. Schenn, Couturier, Voracek, Grossmann, and Cousins.

Comparing Giroux to Cheechoo is also laughable I don't get why you would even make that comparison. Outside of the fact that Cheechoo like players don't come along every day he was never anywhere near as good a prospect as Giroux and never showed the level of talent Giroux did. Giroux was also no 1 season wonder. He had 55 points in 50 playoff games. He spotted 76 points in 82 games before his 93 point season and then was still a PPG player last year despite his slip from a 90 point player. Not to mention why are you knocking this contract right now given what he is doing right now this season? He may very well break 90 points again. Not to mention the praise he got from each of his coaches as the most raw talented player on the team well before he broke out and praise from his teammates. Gagne comparing his talent to Forsbergs and Jagr calling, “I love to play with him,” Jagr said. “I think he’s the top – I don’t want to say he’s the best right now in the league, but he’s top three for sure. I never thought at the end of my career I was going to play with a guy like that. And that’s what’s made me happy.”

Really comparing Giroux to Cheechoo almost makes me want to use my 2nd facepalm on CDC.

And of course your Vanek remark obvious has nothing behind it you are clearly just talking out off your own anus at this point.

I also wouldn't chalk up the Rangers or Bruins as auto wins vs the Flyers. Bruins did look darn good against them the 1 time they have played this year so far but of course that was 1 game. And as far as the Rangers go well Philly has the lead in the season series so far so not sure why you are so confident the Rangers would roll that series. Nor does Lundqvist exactly have a history of dominating the Flyers. While not terrible he has been fairly average against them.

But ether way it just comes off like you hate that team so much you aren't willing to think logically about what you are saying and just blurting out random thoughts. It comes off as stupid or valid as someone saying watch Gillis trade the Sedins for Reimer and Raymond.

All management will make mistakes no one has a perfect track record. You should know this also being a Rangers fan.

But my question remains. How does bad management manage to consistently manage to produce a competitive team and how do they now posses one of the better young teams in the NHL?

Saying oh look they signed some long contracts... is an invalid argument. Unless you can tell me how signing those contracts has debunked the Flyers success and give me a scenario where they would be better off without the repercussions of these contracts. I am just not seeing the consequences from any of what you just said.

So what though? Who cares about a bad or questionable contract if it doesn't hurt the team?

Philadelphia needed a goalie. They go get Bryz who at the time was the best goalie (statistically) on the market. Thanks Mr. Snider for not ignoring the teams needs.

Bryz turns into a headcase who is as bad at stopping pucks as he is sane. Flyers buy him out. Thanks Mr. Snider for admitting he did not work out and biting the bullet on the money.

I am not paying Bryz 51 million. Bryz contract isn't affecting the team now. So as a Flyers fan why do I care anymore? Or about Briere's contract?

The Flyers abuse loopholes. Should I care about Pronger's contract that is buried on LTIR? Should I have cared about Hatcher or Rathje's or Laperriere's contracts which each spent 1-3 years on LTIR?

Lupul, JVR, Carter, Richards... all extended and traded. JVR only having the poor return (mainly Luke not playing up to what he should be) But otherwise Lupul turns into Pronger, Carter and Richards turn into Simmonds, B. Schenn, Couturier, Voracek, Grossmann, and Cousins.

Comparing Giroux to Cheechoo is also laughable I don't get why you would even make that comparison. Outside of the fact that Cheechoo like players don't come along every day he was never anywhere near as good a prospect as Giroux and never showed the level of talent Giroux did. Giroux was also no 1 season wonder. He had 55 points in 50 playoff games. He spotted 76 points in 82 games before his 93 point season and then was still a PPG player last year despite his slip from a 90 point player. Not to mention why are you knocking this contract right now given what he is doing right now this season? He may very well break 90 points again. Not to mention the praise he got from each of his coaches as the most raw talented player on the team well before he broke out and praise from his teammates. Gagne comparing his talent to Forsbergs and Jagr calling, I love to play with him, Jagr said. I think hes the top I dont want to say hes the best right now in the league, but hes top three for sure. I never thought at the end of my career I was going to play with a guy like that. And thats whats made me happy.

Really comparing Giroux to Cheechoo almost makes me want to use my 2nd facepalm on CDC.

And of course your Vanek remark obvious has nothing behind it you are clearly just talking out off your own anus at this point.

I also wouldn't chalk up the Rangers or Bruins as auto wins vs the Flyers. Bruins did look darn good against them the 1 time they have played this year so far but of course that was 1 game. And as far as the Rangers go well Philly has the lead in the season series so far so not sure why you are so confident the Rangers would roll that series. Nor does Lundqvist exactly have a history of dominating the Flyers. While not terrible he has been fairly average against them.

But ether way it just comes off like you hate that team so much you aren't willing to think logically about what you are saying and just blurting out random thoughts. It comes off as stupid or valid as someone saying watch Gillis trade the Sedins for Reimer and Raymond.

All management will make mistakes no one has a perfect track record. You should know this also being a Rangers fan.

But my question remains. How does bad management manage to consistently manage to produce a competitive team and how do they now posses one of the better young teams in the NHL?

Saying oh look they signed some long contracts... is an invalid argument. Unless you can tell me how signing those contracts has debunked the Flyers success and give me a scenario where they would be better off without the repercussions of these contracts. I am just not seeing the consequences from any of what you just said.

Until the flyers do damage (at least 3rd round) in the playoffs, the carter and Richards trades are laughably bad. As for Lupul, well he's a 60 point top 6 forward, while Pronger is lying in his bed collecting a paycheck. You keep saying a consistently competitive team despite missing the playoffs just last year and in 2007. So yea, you're argument's a load of sh!t on that front. And being one of the teams that spends to the cap, missing the playoffs is pretty embarrassing. And in a 7 game series, Rangers take down the flyers hands down. They're pretty even up front, but on D and in net it's not even a competition.

Until the flyers do damage (at least 3rd round) in the playoffs, the carter and Richards trades are laughably bad. As for Lupul, well he's a 60 point top 6 forward, while Pronger is lying in his bed collecting a paycheck. You keep saying a consistently competitive team despite missing the playoffs just last year and in 2007. So yea, you're argument's a load of sh!t on that front. And being one of the teams that spends to the cap, missing the playoffs is pretty embarrassing. And in a 7 game series, Rangers take down the flyers hands down. They're pretty even up front, but on D and in net it's not even a competition.

In the short run, sure the Carter and Richards trades look bad. In the long run, we got 6 players out of those deals. Two from LA, Simmonds and Schenn have more goals than the great Mike Richards has right now. Carter got us Voracek and Couturier. Lupul? You are going to bring up Lupul? The guy almost was done with hockey with a back injury, I could care less about Lupul. I remember back in 08, he had 1 goal against WAS and it was in OT. Otherwise, he was invisible. I don't miss Lupul at all. We'll see what happens when the playoffs start.

I'm only cheering for Philly to beat the Pens in the playoffs.

Not because I like the Flyers (I've hated that team ever since their Broad Street Bullies days), but because another loss to the Flyers by the Pens would hopefully spur the Pens on into going all-in on Kes at the draft with a serious offer this time.

Archived