The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anybody else cheering for Philly in the playoffs?

zejono

I just want good hockey but overall I think going into the playoffs philly will be the weakest overall team in the east.

Whoever gets them in the first round is getting a gift.

In the east I'll cheer for Boston unless they're up against Montreal. In the west I'll cheer for Colorado. Roy may be a douche but the man is hockey. On the ice he was amazing and off the ice him and Sakic have turned that club into a contender in a very short time.

Until the flyers do damage (at least 3rd round) in the playoffs, the carter and Richards trades are laughably bad. As for Lupul, well he's a 60 point top 6 forward, while Pronger is lying in his bed collecting a paycheck. You keep saying a consistently competitive team despite missing the playoffs just last year and in 2007. So yea, you're argument's a load of sh!t on that front. And being one of the teams that spends to the cap, missing the playoffs is pretty embarrassing. And in a 7 game series, Rangers take down the flyers hands down. They're pretty even up front, but on D and in net it's not even a competition.

Because it's totally their fault Pronger got injured...

I get why people hate how Philly plays the game but I never understood the constant hate of the management. Philly is one of the most consistently competitive teams in the NHL and has played in 3 ECF in the last 10 years (9 NHL seasons). They are aggressive and don't accept losing seasons and will spend money and burn money and bury a mistake as soon as possible without letting pride in the way. They are currently one of the more dangerously looking teams in the NHL while sporting a ridiculously young core.

How can management be be retarded yet consistently produce a strong well above average product?

I can't speak for anyone else, but for me, the dislike of Flyers' management has little to do with Homer and lot to do with Bobby Clarke.

This is a guy who threw Eric Lindros under the bus for the team's failure to win a Cup, despite the fact that Lindros scored 26 pts in the '97 Finals and the team's goaltending had a combined save % of under .900...

Hexy's numbers had declined and even after his departure, Clarke refused to go out and get a top goaltender, famously passing on Curtis Joseph, who went to Toronto as a FA instead.

But it was all Lindros' fault...

Bobby Clarke is also the guy who has steadfastly supported his former agent and NHLPA executive director, Alan Eagleson, despite the fact that Eagleson stole money from the players that he was supposed to be representing.

He's also the guy who deliberately broke Valery Kharlamov's ankle in the '72 Summit Series, because VK was killing team Canada. One wonders if Henderson's goal would even have happened if not for Clarke's dirty play.

I actually like Holmgren and a lot of the Flyer players, (Giroux, Simmons, Hartnell...) but as long as Bobby Clarke (and Ed Snider as well) is involved with the team in any meaningful way, I will have a hard time cheering for them.

Maybe if they're playing the Habs.... B)

They're gonna be dangerous for a long time.

Giroux, Voracek, B.Schenn, Cotourier (spelling?), Simmonds, Raffl are all still young, and Mason seems to have re-found his game in Philly. They're 1 or 2 top 4 defenders away from being a serious cup threat.

From the west I'll be cheering for

St. Louis (Don't know why I have always liked them)

Sharks(Need to win now or never)

Anaheim( Wan't them to win one last cup with Selanne)

Colorado (Fun team to watch)

Chicago( Same as colarado)

From the east I'll be cheering for

Rangers (Want AV to win he really deserves it)

Philly (Same as colarado)

Montreal (Always fun to watch especially their home games)

Boston (Iginla is one of my favorite players and I was over the finals when we beat them 6-2.)

Pittsburgh (same as colarado)

I'm only cheering for Philly to beat the Pens in the playoffs.

Not because I like the Flyers (I've hated that team ever since their Broad Street Bullies days), but because another loss to the Flyers by the Pens would hopefully spur the Pens on into going all-in on Kes at the draft with a serious offer this time.

You mean another loss to the Pens by the Flyers :P

If Dallas and Vancouver both miss in the West, I won't have much interest in who wins the West. I will just root for underdogs. In the East, Boston is my favorite *ducks and covers head* and has been since the late 80s since Neely went there. I like Ottawa, but they're dead in the water. I like the offense that Tampa plays, so I might root for them. There are many teams I really don't like right now and most of them are doing well (Chicago, Pittsburgh, Montreal, St. Louis, Los Angeles, San Jose, Anaheim, Detroit).

My wife may not have a problem getting the TV remote much this spring. It's been so hard after being spoiled in 2011. Every night a team I cheered for won.

For me it's mostly because of "Canadian" fans....

You know, all of those Toronto and Montreal fans who were happy that the Canucks lost in 2011....

If I recall correctly many Canadian hockey fans were saying "anyone but the canucks". They didn't care about bringing the cup to Canada, so why should I sympathize the leafs meltdown or Edmontons bottom feeding. The only other Canadian team I half like is Winnipeg.

Until the flyers do damage (at least 3rd round) in the playoffs, the carter and Richards trades are laughably bad. As for Lupul, well he's a 60 point top 6 forward, while Pronger is lying in his bed collecting a paycheck. You keep saying a consistently competitive team despite missing the playoffs just last year and in 2007. So yea, you're argument's a load of sh!t on that front. And being one of the teams that spends to the cap, missing the playoffs is pretty embarrassing. And in a 7 game series, Rangers take down the flyers hands down. They're pretty even up front, but on D and in net it's not even a competition.

How cute you rambled about how the Flyers management was terrible then I asked a question and you completely changed the subject....

So the Carter and Richards trades are laughably bad because Carter and Richards guarantee an ECF appearance at minimum. Amazing argument there I won't even dispute it. Kodos to Flyers management for being so amazing they can draft 2 players in the same draft that guarantee such an amazing product.

Lupul is on pace for 49 points... but i will excuse your math little guy and lets pretend he is on that 60 point pace you said :) Philadelphia management should be ashamed of that. How dare they trade a player 9 years younger for some old geezer who was going to be out of the league before hand anyway despite the violent career ending injury he had. I am actually starting to hate the Flyers even more because of your enlightening well thought out points.

OMG. Another great point. The Flyers have missed the playoffs twice in the last 20 years. What a bunch of scrubs.

What don't tell me... You're Miss Cleo?! The Rangers are an automatic win in 7 games? You are amazing. I thought for sure it wouldn't be a sure thing. I mean with the Flyers having the Rangers number so far this season I thought they had a chance. I also didn't realize the Rangers offense was better than the Flyers. I can't believe I was fooled by the Rangers trolling #19 ranked offense.

By golly the Rangers must be one swell ass team with that top caliber offense, defense, goaltendinding, and amazing GM Glen Sather.

I look forward to seeing the Rangers who us all what a real team does.

(if you haven't caught on yet I am making fun of you and how retarded everything you say is. It is literally like you have no familiarity with ether of these teams. Even the Rangers fans on their forum sound entirely difference from you. You are a special. Don't ever change. Tiger Singh of the Eastern Conference)

In the short run, sure the Carter and Richards trades look bad. In the long run, we got 6 players out of those deals. Two from LA, Simmonds and Schenn have more goals than the great Mike Richards has right now. Carter got us Voracek and Couturier. Lupul? You are going to bring up Lupul? The guy almost was done with hockey with a back injury, I could care less about Lupul. I remember back in 08, he had 1 goal against WAS and it was in OT. Otherwise, he was invisible. I don't miss Lupul at all. We'll see what happens when the playoffs start.

Carter and Richards trade wasn't bad in any way for the Flyers. Philly was not going to win a cup with ether player and the team took a massive decline before they were traded. Richards ice time this year has taken an even sharper decline he barely sees 15 minutes a game and Carter is having an sub par year. Philly is currently younger, has more offense, and better defense than Both players combined offered.

I can't speak for anyone else, but for me, the dislike of Flyers' management has little to do with Homer and lot to do with Bobby Clarke.

This is a guy who threw Eric Lindros under the bus for the team's failure to win a Cup, despite the fact that Lindros scored 26 pts in the '97 Finals and the team's goaltending had a combined save % of under .900...

Hexy's numbers had declined and even after his departure, Clarke refused to go out and get a top goaltender, famously passing on Curtis Joseph, who went to Toronto as a FA instead.

But it was all Lindros' fault...

Bobby Clarke is also the guy who has steadfastly supported his former agent and NHLPA executive director, Alan Eagleson, despite the fact that Eagleson stole money from the players that he was supposed to be representing.

He's also the guy who deliberately broke Valery Kharlamov's ankle in the '72 Summit Series, because VK was killing team Canada. One wonders if Henderson's goal would even have happened if not for Clarke's dirty play.

I actually like Holmgren and a lot of the Flyer players, (Giroux, Simmons, Hartnell...) but as long as Bobby Clarke (and Ed Snider as well) is involved with the team in any meaningful way, I will have a hard time cheering for them.

Maybe if they're playing the Habs.... B)

At this point though hating the Flyers management because of Clarke would be as relevant as hating Canucks management because of Nonis. We are nearing nearly a decade since Clarke was GM of the Flyers.

Archived