The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Positives of Trying to Make the Playoffs

VforVasili

I am anti-tanking. I despise teams that do it on purpose..someone has to be last, but I can't fathom any of the guys on the ice wanting to make that happen, not at their level. You don't get there by losing, and you don't get to stay there by losing either.

Now that being said: Minnesota has a really tough schedule, and even though they are even 3 points HIGHER than the last wild card spot at the moment, I think the Canucks have a better shot at catching them than they would at catching Phoenix.

Minny plays St. Louis, Phoenix, L.A. and Chicago as the next four opponents all on the road. That is the top team in the league, followed by a hot Phoenix fighting for positioning and a final wild card spot, then the team above them in the standings and finally Chicago, fighting for playoff placement and home ice advantages at the top of the west.

As if that wasn't enough, Minny then faces Crosby and the Pittsburgh kids at home before facing Boston and St Louis, the two top teams in the league in half of its last four games. There are no easy games, but Winnipeg and Nashville are the only matchups Minny has left that are not incredibly hard.

Go Canucks Go, every point will matter in the end.

Agree on both points.

Not only does Minny have a crazy-tough schedule, but they have to do it without their top TWO goaltenders. Kuemper has been faltering lately, since having to share the net with the space cadet.

folks .. I love that we have won a few games but come on ?? This team is playing loose ... its easier to win when you have nothing to lose .. they are actually having fun .. no pressure .. they are spoilers at this point ..

I wouldn't put too much into it .. this won't change how other players or [ free agents ] look at us .. they know whats going on ..

We have to basically win out to make the playoffs. There is a lot of pressure not to lose. Would Burr come back so soon if they don't want to win and are playing loose?

I don't think quality UFA's will care either....

If hockey players actually tanked that might make a difference but any hockey player assume everyone tries hard so why care these guys did? If a team blatanty craps the bed that's one thing but a team that doesn't quit and ends up middle of the pack just means they aren't absolute asshats.

Just to further clarify, if a younger team like Columbus last year really puts it together and shows definite progression that's a reason to sign. A young team on the rise. We're an old teaming sliding into mediocrity and trying to salvage face. Not much of a reason to excited in of itself. Not a reason to take us off the list but also not a reason to sign a 5 or 6 year deal either. You have to look at other factors for that. Maybe if we go 9-0 some will notice but not if we just finish respectively. They aren't looking that closely at us right now.

My point was that if we tried to tank as an organization (by sitting veteran players, giving up prematurely or otherwise sent the message we were rebuilding), that would send a very negative sign that would hurt our ability to competitively sign Free Agents, including College Free Agents that have proven to be as good as high draft picks for us.

By sending the signal that we will fight to the bitter end I think we remove some of the stench of failure that the team has already earned this season.

I am not suggesting players will clamber to sign with us for trying to win our remaining games. I am suggesting that they will run for the hills if we try to do anything else.

My point was that if we tried to tank as an organization (by sitting veteran players, giving up prematurely or otherwise sent the message we were rebuilding), that would send a very negative sign that would hurt our ability to competitively sign Free Agents, including College Free Agents that have proven to be as good as high draft picks for us.

By sending the signal that we will fight to the bitter end I think we remove some of the stench of failure that the team has already earned this season.

I am not suggesting players will clamber to sign with us for trying to win our remaining games. I am suggesting that they will run for the hills if we try to do anything else.

Aha, yeah I agree.

I never watch a game thinking I want the Canucks to lose. That being said I am doubtful that this team can keep up with St.Louis, Chicago, LA, Anaheim. If Vancouver makes it I have a feeling it will be a short lived playoff appearance, but losing breeds losers, teams who lose on purpose will never be winners.

That being said I would still really love to see the Canucks get a top 10 pick this year, people say it doesnt matter since its a weak draft but I dont think so. In my opinion its not a weak draft, just not an NHL ready draft. Ekblad is the only player who looks NHL ready in this draft, however all pearls were once grains of sand that have been polished. I believe this draft has lots of players with top 6 potential.

Draisaitl and Virtanen are my number one and two choices, I thnk both those guys would make this team so much better in a few years. Even if we hopefully make the playoffs maybe we make a move and trade up? Or maybe not?

No matter what happens it is what it is, Playoffs or Higher Pick doesnt matter, as long as we keep working hard then good things will happen whether it be this year next year or farther down the road.

those blown games against Tampa and the Islanders look even worse now with this 3 game winstreak, if we didn't piss those away we're tied with Phoenix right now.

You can't really say that, only because you could say it about any of the 30 losses and 10 overtime losses. You can pull ten individual points out of those missing 70 and point to them and say this is why we are not 7th in the west right now, but that is pointless, because all of those 70 missing points are why we are not 7th...but the real impressive thing for me is that we are not dead yet even after dropping 70 available points thus far in the year and having such a terrible drought of goals from our goal scorers....it is shocking to think we are 4 points from a playoff spot after all that and with all the moaning and screaming and kicking and tantruming going on with some of our fanbase.

You can't really say that, only because you could say it about any of the 30 losses and 10 overtime losses. You can pull ten individual points out of those missing 70 and point to them and say this is why we are not 7th in the west right now, but that is pointless, because all of those 70 missing points are why we are not 7th...but the real impressive thing for me is that we are not dead yet even after dropping 70 available points thus far in the year and having such a terrible drought of goals from our goal scorers....it is shocking to think we are 4 points from a playoff spot after all that and with all the moaning and screaming and kicking and tantruming going on with some of our fanbase.

those other losses we didn't have a 3-0 lead going into the 3rd period and then allow 7 goals

The canucks may as well tank and get a chance at a good pick. To send some message to free agents that we don't accept losing is an oxymoron. We are the epitome of losing right now. When we had a chance to trade Luongo, we lost. We traded the wrong goalie away and eventually lost both. If this isn't losing then 2011 was about not winning. Either way, we have no offensive defensemen. how much does Garrison get? We always get the hand-me downs from teams that won't pay the same we would for that player...choke Ballard. If we let Booth walk away unsigned after his contract, this organization is so stupid it would resign Booth to a higher paying contract. grrrrr

The canucks may as well tank and get a chance at a good pick. To send some message to free agents that we don't accept losing is an oxymoron. We are the epitome of losing right now. When we had a chance to trade Luongo, we lost. We traded the wrong goalie away and eventually lost both. If this isn't losing then 2011 was about not winning. Either way, we have no offensive defensemen. how much does Garrison get? We always get the hand-me downs from teams that won't pay the same we would for that player...choke Ballard. If we let Booth walk away unsigned after his contract, this organization is so stupid it would resign Booth to a higher paying contract. grrrrr

I don't understand the booth part? Are you saying we should or shouldn't sign him to a higher contract?

It is all about draft position IMHO. The Canucks are now in the #11 position. One more win vaults them down to #16.

Anyone who suggests that not drafting in the top 10 increases the quality of your pics is being very selective historians. It is not a guarantee of success but it is better than drafting lower.

As an organization Van had more to gain by Yensen playing in Utica and having a playoff run there.

Archived