The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How Roberto Luongo Saved Vancouver

Dedalus

Pfff what a bunch of bull everyone knows this is the real story of how Luongo saved Vancouver:

To Save Time I will put it all in point form.

• As everyone knows on Jan. 26, 1700 a Massive Cascadian Earthquake Rocked the Pacific Northwest sending a Tsunami across the Pacific Ocean.
  • A mere 183 years later Krakatoa in the Sunda Straight of Indonesia Erupts, which again sent Tsunami's across the Pacific Ocean.
  • 81 Years later a Magnitude 9 earthquake hits Alaska, which again sent Tsunamis at the Coast of the Pacific Northwest.
  • 12 Years Later Antonio Luongo emigrates to Canada from Santa Paolino
  • 3 Years Later Roberto Luongo is Born
  • In 2011 Japan experiences a Magnitude 9 Earthquake which is followed by a devastating Tsunami
  • Also in 2011 Luongo Backstops the Canucks to game 7 of the SCF
  • The night before the 7th game Luongo is contacted by time travellers from the future, they tell him that if Vancouver was to win the Stanley Cup the cheering in Vancouver would be so loud it would trigger a horrific Earthquake measuring 9.9 and wipe Vancouver off of the map.
  • Obviously Luongo had no choice but to let in 4 goals in that game thus SAVING VANCOUVER!

As I heard it, there was going to be an earthquake, but that it would be triggered by the entire Leafs' fanbase charging west to jump on to the Canucks' bandwagon.

regards,

G.

I said "Blah, blah, blah, get to the point hippie!" and that post was eliminated by HF mods. They eliminate too many posts and threads, imho.

By definition that post adds no substance to that thread. The mods had good reason to delete the post, technically.

Even if you don't agree with the premise that was given, you don't have to assume a moronic, disdainful tone to say so.

Pfff what a bunch of bull everyone knows this is the real story of how Luongo saved Vancouver:

• As everyone knows on Jan. 26, 1700 a Massive Cascadian Earthquake Rocked the Pacific Northwest sending a Tsunami across the Pacific Ocean.
  • A mere 183 years later Krakatoa in the Sunda Straight of Indonesia Erupts, which again sent Tsunami's across the Pacific Ocean.
  • 81 Years later a Magnitude 9 earthquake hits Alaska, which again sent Tsunamis at the Coast of the Pacific Northwest.
  • In 2011 Japan experiences a Magnitude 9 Earthquake which is followed by a devastating Tsunami
  • The night before the 7th game Luongo is contacted by time travellers from the future, they tell him that if Vancouver was to win the Stanley Cup the cheering in Vancouver would be so loud it would trigger a horrific Earthquake measuring 9.9 and wipe Vancouver off of the map.
  • Obviously Luongo had no choice but to let in 4 goals in that game thus SAVING VANCOUVER!

Thank you for the Coles Notes - that's much clearer now. :bigblush:

I'm an old fart - so the goalie I will remember the most is

kirk-mclean-7.jpg

For all the greatness that Lu was, you'll never see him coming back to Vancouver to reside after he retires. Kirk lives here (plus he also got us a hell of a lot closer to the damned Cup - if Lafayette's shot went in, it would have been a whole different game of puck). And to me...why not. As far as I'm concerned. Vancouver's the best damned city in the world. :towel:

Maclean was that bad ? Egad!!!!

Evidence that the author lacks perspective.

Those numbers are from the late 80s and early 90s, when defensive hockey was an idea from the future, and .900 was a pretty damn good sv%. Patrick Roy's lifetime sv% was .910 with virtually all his best sv% coming after 1996 - his last 7 years in Colorado were 7 of his top 9 sv% seasons.

Different era where the #s don't translate. It's comparable to expecting someone to score 200 points in todays NHL.

McLean, btw, had a .928 sv% in the Canucks 1994 playoff run - probably the best stretch of goaltending the franchise ever saw.

It's funny how much I don't miss Luongo.

He could have been a champ about increasing Schneider's trade value.

But he says Illl accept a trade if they ask me, the second we're out against LA. The team that went on to win the cup.

Luongo dun goofed, and he has now lost any chance at being a Champion.

Enjoy your 100 mil

I remember the day they made Lou captain, and I thought to myself this is a terrible mistake that won't end well, but it certainly drew some attention. It almost seemed from that day moving forward there was some sort of drama surrounding Lou.

I left Vancouver in 1995, but have always yearned to move back. I have encouraged my children to attend one of the universities there and even though 2 of them never lived there, they love the city as much as I do. I have lived in Alberta ever since and have always envied those who are lucky enough to still live in our most beautiful province. I work in the oil and gas sector and have admired the way BC always seems to put the environment above all else, while Alberta seems to take that all for granted and will compromise the environment in the name of the almighty dollar.

To those of you still living in that beautiful province and city, you are the lucky ones. Even luckier to have access to the greatest team on earth.

<p>

That was the message I got from a code of taking every prime number and ssdigning a letter. The truth is out there.

Luo was a good goalie

Sometimes he choked

Lots of fans liked him

Lots of fans did not

He's in a better place now, god's waiting room... Florida

By definition that post adds no substance to that thread. The mods had good reason to delete the post, technically.

Even if you don't agree with the premise that was given, you don't have to assume a moronic, disdainful tone to say so.

You may whine about my tone, but everyone posting on that thread said the article was terrible. I was expressing a reason why, so I guess I did add substance to the thread.

That was the message I got from a code of taking every prime number and ssdigning a letter. The truth is out there.

Luo was a good goalie

Sometimes he choked

Lots of fans liked him

Lots of fans did not

He's in a better place now, god's waiting room... Florida

that is about as good as any synopsis of that essay.

Also his basic thesis for this essay is that Vancouver used to be a "goalie graveyard" but because of Luongo, us fans now have all grown up and realize that even a highly touted "elite" tender like Luongo did not take us to the promised land. And what this means is that fans will stop deep-sixing it's goalies, starting with Lack, because Lu was so up and down it made our heads spin to the point where we, collectively, now realize that NO goalie is perfect. There is no goalie heaven, so by deduction there also is no graveyard. A kind of back-handed compliment from a bored Flames fan.

I was :picard: when I read this part.....

"McLean is touted as a hero, but his record and numbers were pretty mediocre in Vancouver. He hit a streak in the playoffs in 1994. But the team lost. Career GAA 3.26, Save % .887. And yet, there he is in the ring of honour."

Believe this, because the old Canucks diehards won't: Luongo was the franchise's first elite goalie.

Didn't every goalie have those number back then? :picard: :picard:

Archived