The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Little bit of an analysis on the picks in our range.

Tom Sestito

Course it isn't an equally as good pick. It just depends on the scouting staff.

Yeah I know. It's funny though how far each of us will go to defend our own side. Whatever the side of the fence you are on or whether you are the most knowledgable of all posters ... some of the stances and lengths we go to prove our point are so far away from the points most of us are trying to make in the first place.

I mean in this case it went from a fight over whether it would be better to finish in 6th and just lose all of our games or finish one spot out of the playoffs. I think most of the defenders original argument was that it is never sporting or a good idea to purposely lose. So many responses to that waylaid the argument to the point that they were resorting to try to insinuate that the 6th pick is exactly the same as the 14th pick. It's one of those situations where at the end of the fight you can't recall why you were fighting in the first place.

If Detroits drafting is so good how come they haven't produced a a legitimate top liner in the last 5 years? I'm not saying they are bad. Quite clearly better then us and great at filling in their roster holes with young guys brought up from the AHL. But they are not the holy grail everyone perceives them to be. They have struggled mightily since Lidstrom retired and they are slowly closing in on the end of the line for Zetterberg and Datsyuk. Both are are very beat up and becoming less effective with each passing season. Do you really think Tartar and Sheahan are the next Zetterberg and Datsyuk? Even if they make tremendous jumps Their defence isn't anything to brag about, although Kronwall has stepped up nicely. People make all these posts about how Detroit turns late round picks into superstars but in reality almost none of those guys became superstars. Their biggest success in the draft comes from after the 2nd round and they havent turned in any top line talent in a while. Most of the guys people name as premium young players have still yet to prove anything beyond a decent season surrounded by the above aforementioned players.

Detroits draft record is overstated.

Not sure if serious.

Have you heard of Nyqvist?

He's the 24 year old with 25 goals in 48 games? 4th round pick.

Tatar - a 2nd round pick - (and again, not a fish dip) has 18 goals in 64 games in his rookie season - that's a 23 goal pace. Ask yourself how many rookies are 20+ goal scorers, and whether those tend to be middling forwards.

Jurco is a ppg AHLer - 21 yr old 2nd round pick - scoring at a 16 goal/33 point pace (5,11 in 27) as a rookie playing 12 or 13 minutes.

Sheahan has 21 points in 33 games - a 52 point pace - as a rookie.

I think you naysayers might want to hold off on declaring the obituary of the Detroit Red Wings.

You take players like Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, Weiss, Helm, Samuelsson out of any team's lineup and they're going to be hard pressed to make the playoffs - and yet there they are, having leap frogged the Laffs nevertheless.

Do you really think they managed that without all that quality contribution from those very good rookies on their roster?

I don't think Connolly is going to be a bust. He's never really had a chance in Tampa. He led the team in scoring during the pre-season, he scored 4 or 5 goals and had a few assists. Way too young to be calling a bust.

But yeah you can get a good player anywhere in the draft, doesn't matter what round. It's just easier to pick at the top of the draft. Look at Ondrej Palat for the Lightning. 4th last pick in the draft and he's in the conversation for rookie of the year. If you have good scouts then you can get a 1st liner or a top d-man at any point in the draft.

Yeah I know. It's funny though how far each of us will go to defend our own side. Whatever the side of the fence you are on or whether you are the most knowledgable of all posters ... some of the stances and lengths we go to prove our point are so far away from the points most of us are trying to make in the first place.

I mean in this case it went from a fight over whether it would be better to finish in 6th and just lose all of our games or finish one spot out of the playoffs. I think most of the defenders original argument was that it is never sporting or a good idea to purposely lose. So many responses to that waylaid the argument to the point that they were resorting to try to insinuate that the 6th pick is exactly the same as the 14th pick. It's one of those situations where at the end of the fight you can't recall why you were fighting in the first place.

I'm on the fence, that's why I posted it.

If we win a few games down the stretch, it helps us evaluate IMO, and a losing culture just isn't a good thing.

It's just.. we need to nail this pick. Far from contrary belief, we've actually been really good in the first round under Gillis. Schroeder, looking like our only bust at this point from the 1st round... is the USA wjc all time leading scorer.

Like I've said before, C Jared McCann LW Adrian Kempe RW Kasperi Kapanen D Haydn Fleury are guys I really, really like.

Virtanen, Ritchie, Perlini are guys that teams with depth in their system should gamble on.. not us.

If we win a few games down the stretch, it helps us evaluate IMO, and a losing culture just isn't a good thing.

It's just.. we need to nail this pick. Far from contrary belief, we've actually been really good in the first round under Gillis. Schroeder, looking like our only bust at this point from the 1st round... is the USA wjc all time leading scorer.

Like I've said before, C Jared McCann LW Adrian Kempe RW Kasperi Kapanen D Haydn Fleury are guys I really, really like.

Virtanen, Ritchie, Perlini are guys that teams with depth in their system should gamble on.. not us.

Hold on, hold on. This was meant for the people who are whining about us not tanking for a slightly lower pick. At no point this season did we ever have a chance at a top five pick.

But the Canucks do have a chance at getting the first overall pick! As do all non-playoff teams.

I suspect you (and many others) probably already know this, but the draft lottery was changed last year. Now, every non-playoff team has a weighted shot at getting the number one pick. The further down a team finishes, the better chance they get.

I've posted this before, but here it is again - a list of the odds each non-playoff team has of winning the first overall pick in the draft lottery:

30th place: 25.0%

29th place: 18.8%

28th place: 14.2%

27th place: 10.7%

26th place: 8.1%

25th place: 6.2%

24th place: 4.7%

23th place: 3.6%

22th place: 2.7%

21th place: 2.1%

20th place: 1.5%

19th place: 1.1%

18th place: 0.8%

17th place: 0.5%

Every position that the Canucks (or any other team) falls increases (admittedly only slightly in many cases) the chances that it can win that first overall pick.

And that's a prize worth winning.

That's exactly it. For all of the blustering about where the Canucks pick, it doesn't mean anything if there's no faith in the scouts.

But of course if you're worried about acting on a high pick because of what your scouting staff might do with it, then you've got to replace your scouting staff, weak links being what they are.

Not sure if serious.

Have you heard of Nyqvist?

He's the 24 year old with 25 goals in 48 games? 4th round pick.

Tatar - a 2nd round pick - (and again, not a fish dip) has 18 goals in 64 games in his rookie season - that's a 23 goal pace. Ask yourself how many rookies are 20+ goal scorers, and whether those tend to be middling forwards.

Jurco is a ppg AHLer - 21 yr old 2nd round pick - scoring at a 16 goal/33 point pace (5,11 in 27) as a rookie playing 12 or 13 minutes.

Sheahan has 21 points in 33 games - a 52 point pace - as a rookie.

I think you naysayers might want to hold off on declaring the obituary of the Detroit Red Wings.

You take players like Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, Weiss, Helm, Samuelsson out of any team's lineup and they're going to be hard pressed to make the playoffs - and yet there they are, having leap frogged the Laffs nevertheless.

Do you really think they managed that without all that quality contribution from those very good rookies on their roster?

If they had zets and dats in the lineup, they'd be cup favourites IMO

To select out of equal talents the most important criteria are identity and robustness.

...and you understand why we choosed Horvat over Nichushkin.

"Choosed" is not a word.

I'll take Horvat any day of the week over Nichushkin.

Yeah. The Canucks could do with another 3rd line grinder.

Yea we need talent. Shinkaruk and Jensen are the only talented forwards we have. Horvat is probably gonna be a 2nd line grinder. We need some players who can pull off a quick dangle and snipe it top cheese every now and then

Yeah. The Canucks could do with another 3rd line grinder.

The Vancouver Thirdliners

Honestly, I think it was because of AV that some players ended up playing 3rd line instead of higher. AV would never have played on a second line so that's all he could foresee for anyone else.

Case in point, Kassian is about to turn his 3rd line into a second line. Why? Because he plays good. If he plays good, Torts gives him the minutes.

Yea we need talent. Shinkaruk and Jensen are the only talented forwards we have. Horvat is probably gonna be a 2nd line grinder. We need some players who can pull off a quick dangle and snipe it top cheese every now and then

Agreed. I'd like a Russian. Goldobin would be nice.

Since we are talking 1st rounders here, you know what's crazy? Try counting how many Canuck selected 1st rounders since the year 2000 are NHL regulars on the 2013-2014 Canucks roster.

Kesler, Hank, Dank, Jensen(new), Schroeder.

Traded 1sts for regulars

Kassian (Hodgson)

I'd like to point out that we have some beauty picks in Hansen 9th round 287th overall

Bieksa 5th round 151st overall

and undrafted signings of

Burrows

Tanev

Lack

Archived